Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 51
03-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil0812 View Post
I agree with this but even with all these fixes, I'm not really inclined to play Foundry Missions.

As someone else said, most missions are a crap shoot with poor spelling, grammar, and basic competence in writing that leaves much to be desired.

As such, I just have zero motivation to even touch the Foundry, despite the whole Foundry spotlight which ostensibly finds good missions for me.

To me, the Foundry isn't a substitute for content. It just isn't and it never will be. Sorry
In all fairness, I see bad spelling and typos scattered throughout Cryptic's dialogue and mission text as well. They could integrate a spell checker into the Foundry. That will help some. Bethesda Game Studios incorporated one into the Creation Kit for Skyrim, so it would be useful. Grammatical errors also exist to a lesser degree than spelling errors in Cryptic's work. And like ALL of Cryptic's writing can be classified as competent. I've played some official missions that I felt were really badly written.

The biggest differences between Foundry authors and Cryptic is that Cryptic gets paid to develop content, and they take forever to do it.

So you should at least give Foundry missions a try. It cannot hurt if you are looking for something to do while you wait for God only knows how long befire the next trickle of content from Cryptic comes dripping in. We were told that the Foundry wouldn't be a substitute for official content. But yet aside from the Featured Episode series that was finished as of last saturday, there IS no official content.

There are a lot of talented people out there writing Foundry missions. At least respect their efforts to do what Cryptic cannot be bothered to do, working with a limited and buggy system and still managing to release content that many consider to be superior to Cryptic's work.

Yes, you'll come across some trash amidst the treasures. But at least when you find one of the treasures, you'll have a great in-game experience. Who knows? Maybe you may even be inspired to create a mission of your own and hope that those who play it will see it as a treasure instead of trash.

The real test of a foundry author is putting up with the criticism and continuing to write missions. Those who do like their work will continue to play it. Those who don't will not. But they'll play someone else's work that they do like.

Ladies and Gentlemen, based on h2orat's statement, I think we can safely infer that if we want to experience content more regularly than we've seen do far, then we need to look to the Foundry to find it. PW won't hire enough new employees to staff the STO team up to what it should be. So it is up to us to entertain ourselves. Foundry is as good a system as any to do so. It sucks, but I am used to things sucking when Cryptic is concerned, at least in terms of what they promise about content.

That's just me. Others' opinions will differ.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 52
03-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
And you know, Foundry resource packs could be sold on the C-store.

.
You know, I've long been opposed to this idea. There are obvious reasons why it's just plain unethical to milk the authors who are adding content to the game for free, when they've been getting almost no support during the past year.

But, when I think about this realistically, taking into account my perceptions of both Cryptic and PW.... monetizing the Foundry might be the only reliable way to see constant updates, bug fixes, asset additions and support.

However, the Foundry community is fairly small, compared to the total player base.

I wonder if they could somehow monetize it player-side.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 53
03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduckie
Good luck on your soon to be money drought! but its so worth it!
Depends on the girl.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 54
03-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
In all fairness, I see bad spelling and typos scattered throughout Cryptic's dialogue and mission text as well. They could integrate a spell checker into the Foundry. That will help some. Bethesda Game Studios incorporated one into the Creation Kit for Skyrim, so it would be useful. Grammatical errors also exist to a lesser degree than spelling errors in Cryptic's work. And like ALL of Cryptic's writing can be classified as competent. I've played some official missions that I felt were really badly written.

The biggest differences between Foundry authors and Cryptic is that Cryptic gets paid to develop content, and they take forever to do it.

So you should at least give Foundry missions a try. It cannot hurt if you are looking for something to do while you wait for God only knows how long befire the next trickle of content from Cryptic comes dripping in. We were told that the Foundry wouldn't be a substitute for official content. But yet aside from the Featured Episode series that was finished as of last saturday, there IS no official content.

There are a lot of talented people out there writing Foundry missions. At least respect their efforts to do what Cryptic cannot be bothered to do, working with a limited and buggy system and still managing to release content that many consider to be superior to Cryptic's work.

Yes, you'll come across some trash amidst the treasures. But at least when you find one of the treasures, you'll have a great in-game experience. Who knows? Maybe you may even be inspired to create a mission of your own and hope that those who play it will see it as a treasure instead of trash.

The real test of a foundry author is putting up with the criticism and continuing to write missions. Those who do like their work will continue to play it. Those who don't will not. But they'll play someone else's work that they do like.

Ladies and Gentlemen, based on h2orat's statement, I think we can safely infer that if we want to experience content more regularly than we've seen do far, then we need to look to the Foundry to find it. PW won't hire enough new employees to staff the STO team up to what it should be. So it is up to us to entertain ourselves. Foundry is as good a system as any to do so. It sucks, but I am used to things sucking when Cryptic is concerned, at least in terms of what they promise about content.

That's just me. Others' opinions will differ.
I respect your opinion on this but for me, it's just not going to happen. I just don't have the desire to run user created missions. I've got other things I would rather do with my time.

And while creating missions might be somewhat intriguing, as a silver member, I'm just not going to pay for that privilege.

Again, I'm glad you enjoy the Foundry. I don't really and I don't want Cryptic using it as a crutch. Seems that there's nothing I can do about though. *shrug*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 55
03-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Hey I'm all for that.

So how about spear-heading an effort on our behalf to get the Foundry updated with bug fixes, new features and new resources to work with. Give us access to all the maps in the game, all the props in the game, and all the uniforms and ship models in the game.

If you guys cannot be bothered to release official content regularly enough that we don't have to run the same dailies, STFs, PvP battles and DOff assignments over and over and over and over, then at least give us the tools to produce missions for our fleet mates and/or the general player population.

A lot of us would really like to explore the Foundry as you say. But there are still enough issues with it to make it counter productive. People get one-starred because of bugs that you guys refuse to fix. And as I understand it, the neverwinter foundry is getting all these cool features that STO's foundry likely will never see. And there's no telling when that game will come out. This one is here, and it gets so little support.

A featured series that lasts five weeks is cool. But when it has to be followed by half a year of nothing but repetition, it really isn't a solution.

To Perfiect World:
You guys need to direct Cryptic to either fix and update the foundry so we CAN explore it to its potential, or to get off their butts and start releasing regular content. With all those lottery box keys you guys sold, you should be able to afford to fully staff the team for a full year and make available whatever resources they need to get either of the above jobs done. Deploy whatever cash grabs you want to. But take enough of the profits and funnel them back into STO's development.
I think that many of your points are shared by others, but there have been recent developments. According to Dstahl (unless he's having more fun just speculating), there will be Foundry updates with season 6.

The gears have shifted from F2P to something else, which includes updates, assets, and new features. There will also be Foundry spotlights, promoted by Cryptic, unless the will for that has disappeared.

We had a conference call with the devs. It's at sbugc.

There have also been interviews with hopeful tidbits.

And, for the first time in ages, we are seeing some Foundry-related fixes showing up on tribble. It's actually kind of funny. H20rat made a mission and it suffered from a bug that has plagued authors forever. 3 or 4 days later, we finally got a fix. He is also voicing our concerns behind the scenes.

And the biggest sign of hope is Dstahl admitting what was painfully obvious. Having a different team work on the Foundry, while STO devs ignore it or break it was not working. The STO team now has a hand in their own Foundry, which is a good sign.

I'm guessing though that our support team consists of the following:

A mystery dev who is learning code.
H20rat, who was tasked with viewing the Foundry from an author's perspective.
A few devs who routinely migrate back to STO's toolset and say, "Oh, yeah, we could have fixed that, but we ran out of time. Maybe if I have some free time tomorrow.."
BranFlakes, who is organizing PR related things like contest and spotlights.
Dstahl, who now has a better working knowledge and appreciation of the toolset and its potential.

So, there is our support network for season 6. It's certainly an improvement, even though the majority of devs probably pay little attention to the Foundry.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 56
03-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
You know, I've long been opposed to this idea. There are obvious reasons why it's just plain unethical to milk the authors who are adding content to the game for free, when they've been getting almost no support during the past year.

But, when I think about this realistically, taking into account my perceptions of both Cryptic and PW.... monetizing the Foundry might be the only reliable way to see constant updates, bug fixes, asset additions and support.

However, the Foundry community is fairly small, compared to the total player base.

I wonder if they could somehow monetize it player-side.
I'm still against the idea. Its bad enough that practically all new content comes out from player made missions as it is, but having to pay even more for the privilege of doing their jobs for them? No thank you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 57
03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik
I'm still against the idea. Its bad enough that practically all new content comes out from player made missions as it is, but having to pay even more for the privilege of doing their jobs for them? No thank you.
In principle, I agree. I'm just taking the less of two evils here. We could probably expect more support if it fit better with F2P.

Monetize Foundry v. more of the same.

Maybe they'll even give authors the ability to SPAM. Yes, that was a bad joke, er, sort of.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 58
03-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Doff..., Doff..., DOff'ing...

I want Purples and I want them NAOW... !!

And if I can't have them, I'm gonna hold my breath till I Turn Purple...
then take a pic of it and upload it into your doff roster.

extremely rare purple troll officer - gives bonuses to missions involving taking dilithium from people traveling over bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblinian View Post
Are you going to call every downtime between FEs "content drought"?
While the next FE is coming at the end of the year, there are still other forms of playable content that may come up in the meantime, like the Borg Invasion.
borg invasion constantly for a year? I wouldn't call that something to do

Quote:
And you know, Foundry resource packs could be sold on the C-store
who in their right mind would pay a company to make content for them?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 59 The FE Almost over..Good. :)
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
II tried to do the first episode and right off the bat I ran into a rather annoying bug. After that I said to heck with it. With all the outages lately I am VERY glad I have avoided the FE like the plague.

Who needs to have the rug pulled from under you and to have all your progress wrecked and your time wasted? No thanks.

I’m here to fight enemy factions… Not bugs and shard crashes…

My time was much better spent grinding accolades. At least “when” the game crashes the loss of time and effort is much less of a issue.

Maybe now Cryptic can get back to basics and start running a “quality” based game.

Remember Zenith the slogan? “Quality goes in before the names goes on.”

First things first. Build a quality infrastructure then, and only then can you move on to the bells and whistles.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 60
03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil0812 View Post
I agree with this but even with all these fixes, I'm not really inclined to play Foundry Missions.

As someone else said, most missions are a crap shoot with poor spelling, grammar, and basic competence in writing that leaves much to be desired.

As such, I just have zero motivation to even touch the Foundry, despite the whole Foundry spotlight which ostensibly finds good missions for me.

To me, the Foundry isn't a substitute for content. It just isn't and it never will be. Sorry
The other problem is that I have been explicitly told by Cryptic that playing foundry missions is a waste of time. I do not get any dilithium or other rewards (except 1400 per day, which I do using the BS 5-second farm missions), and it has been so ingrained in me through their new economic model that if I am not getting dilithium or other substantial reward for my time in-game, I may as well log off and play a more worthwhile title.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09 AM.