Lt. Commander
# 291
03-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdss4 View Post
I'll stick with thinking that the ships will be $25 each until I see otherwise. Same goes with having *just* the console put on the C-Store. I'm not gonna get my hopes up just to be disappointed again.
From dev blog 31: "All three Advanced Odyssey Cruisers will be available in the C-Store for individual sale (2000 Cryptic Points) or as a 3-pack bundle (4000 Cryptic Points)."
Lt. Commander
# 292
03-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk_Mike
From dev blog 31: "All three Advanced Odyssey Cruisers will be available in the C-Store for individual sale (2000 Cryptic Points) or as a 3-pack bundle (4000 Cryptic Points)."
Too rich for my blood.

/fold
Lt. Commander
# 293
03-13-2012, 04:52 PM
at least they are offering them as a bundle lol
still , cant see me being a buyer either
Lt. Commander
# 294
03-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Too rich for my blood.

/fold
Seeing the price on this new ship, really has me convinced that STO won't be around too much longer, and I think I'm going to be focusing more of my time on Champions and SWTOR.

This feels like a desperate last grab for money, and here is why I feel that way.

I think Cryptic is having a difficult time seeing the tree for the forest.

You can see it in all the decisions they make. They continue to push out C-Store filler, but at the cost of continued neglect to bugs, the Foundry, content, end game, guild progression, seamless galaxy and all the other things they continually say "we'd like to see..." or "coming soon".

It's a disease, and they don't even know that it is killing them. They produce C-Store stuff because it makes them money. But what is the purpose of C-Store stuff? It's meant to be used in game. But what happens when people run out of things to do in game? Then there is no point in buying the C-Store stuff, right?

They launched F2P in an effort to bring in new consumers of C-Store stuff, but they did so without significantly increasing content, and without addressing the endgame issue. So, all their new customers (from F2P) will soon hit the same point that all the pre-F2P have already hit. They will hit endgame, and find there is nothing to do. If there is nothing to do, there is no need to play, and if there is no need to play, then there is no need for C-Store stuff, and so, then Cryptic stops making money.

It's a vicious cycle that is further exacerbated by the fact they significantly increased leveling speed for F2P. The leveling process, was all they had going for them, and for many that joined, or came back for F2P, that leveling process will be done and over with, very soon.

If I were to put money on it, I would say that STO isn't likely to survive into 2013. If it does by some chance, it will be a very "maintenance mode" version of STO, as the developers, artists and coders are shuffled over to Neverwinter, and all that will remain on STO is the C-Store team, to milk that last penny until they have no choice but to pull the plug.

And for the record, Age of Conan, which fouled up in the same manner that STO did, focusing on cash shop instead of the inherent flaws in the game, for their F2P transition, will likely curl up and die as well, around the same time me thinks.

It's inevitable. You can't base the entirety of your financial model on producing things to use in a game, that has a finite end, because it hasn't been, or isn't being, proactively expanded.

Just my 2 slips.
Lt. Commander
# 295
03-13-2012, 04:59 PM
i have to disagree im afraid , going free to play has brought an enourmous ammount of new players to the game and more join all the time
theres always more c-store content because thats usually the best way to get stuff into the game , and they need to make a profit somehow .
content is coming , have a little faith

( besides , we survived the great content draught intact , so anything welcome , even ships , may not be neccesary , but welcome )
Lt. Commander
# 296
03-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Yes because the Dreadnaught does not cost 2000 c-points ... </sarcasm>

I was expecting it to be 1600 c-points minimum as all T5+1 ships are also 1600 c-points minimum, the Dreadnaught is 2000 c-points so this at the Dreadnaught level with the pack being literally "buy 2, get 1 free" that, I suspect. many people were considering in the first place so points wise it makes no real difference.

It hurts the ones that were expecting separate sales for the consoles but they never sold a console without a ship.
Lt. Commander
# 297
03-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipplor View Post

( besides , we survived the great content draught intact , so anything welcome , even ships , may not be neccesary , but welcome )
I'm not normally one for negative posts, but...

As a "survivor" of the Content Drought of 2011, I strongly disagree. We had faith for a long time. When it was finally rewarded, what we got was basically a glorified technical showcase marred by horrible voice acting, plot holes you could fit a Dyson Sphere through, and a space suit for our troubles. Don't get me wrong, the environmental work was phenomenal, and the new features would certainly make nice additions to the Foundry, but for me, it was not worth the wait. I know we'll be getting another Featured Episode series by the end of 2012, but I find it hard to get excited about that at all.
Lt. Commander
# 298
03-13-2012, 05:09 PM
i know what you mean , but any content is better than no content i suppose
Lt. Commander
# 299
03-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipplor View Post
i have to disagree im afraid , going free to play has brought an enourmous ammount of new players to the game and more join all the time
theres always more c-store content because thats usually the best way to get stuff into the game , and they need to make a profit somehow .

Ok, so let's ask some questions.

1. What happens when a player currently hits Vice Admiral, gets all geared out, runs STFs into the ground, and either doesn't PvP or doesn't write Foundry missions? What exactly, do they do?

2. F2P exponentially increased leveling speed. How long until the primary new players are Vice Admiral?

3. Has Cryptic made an announcement for new upcoming STFs, PvP maps, Open World PvP, etc on tap for the next 6 months? When is the next FE series? How many are we getting before 2013?

So, based on the 3 questions above:

4. Isn't it entirely possible to assume that we are in-fact, still, in that content drought, and that it could, conceiveably, last through the end of the year, based on what we have been told will be "coming" in Season 6 and beyond?

5. If in fact this year progress in the manner that I am speculating, and we continue to get a steady diet of C-Store, with very little else, is it possible that this game will begin to shrivel up (population wise) in the same manner it did, which lead to F2P in the first place?

6. If the population does in fact shrivel up as I am projecting, who will buy the C-Store stuff that keeps this game afloat?

All of these questions, have plenty of grounding in possibility, given what we know about "Whats on the horizon" in terms of coming content.

I'm not saying "For sure, STO is dead by 2013". Rather, I am suggesting it is plausible that this game could be finished by then, unless some course changes occur.
Lt. Commander
# 300
03-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Carmichael View Post
1. What happens when a player currently hits Vice Admiral, gets all geared out, runs STFs into the ground, and either doesn't PvP or doesn't write Foundry missions? What exactly, do they do?
They play Foundry Missions. You don't need to "write" them to play them.