Lt. Commander
# 301
03-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Carmichael View Post
Ok, so let's ask some questions.

1. What happens when a player currently hits Vice Admiral, gets all geared out, runs STFs into the ground, and either doesn't PvP or doesn't write Foundry missions? What exactly, do they do?

2. F2P exponentially increased leveling speed. How long until the primary new players are Vice Admiral?

3. Has Cryptic made an announcement for new upcoming STFs, PvP maps, Open World PvP, etc on tap for the next 6 months? When is the next FE series? How many are we getting before 2013?

So, based on the 3 questions above:

4. Isn't it entirely possible to assume that we are in-fact, still, in that content drought, and that it could, conceiveably, last through the end of the year, based on what we have been told will be "coming" in Season 6 and beyond?

5. If in fact this year progress in the manner that I am speculating, and we continue to get a steady diet of C-Store, with very little else, is it possible that this game will begin to shrivel up (population wise) in the same manner it did, which lead to F2P in the first place?

6. If the population does in fact shrivel up as I am projecting, who will buy the C-Store stuff that keeps this game afloat?

All of these questions, have plenty of grounding in possibility, given what we know about "Whats on the horizon" in terms of coming content.

I'm not saying "For sure, STO is dead by 2013". Rather, I am suggesting it is plausible that this game could be finished by then, unless some course changes occur.

Those are a lot of Ifs. A lot of things can happen between now and then. But I agree. Cryptic needs a drastic change of pace.
Lt. Commander
# 302
03-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X
Those are a lot of Ifs. A lot of things can happen between now and then. But I agree. Cryptic needs a drastic change of pace.
It's a Plausible Progression Chain, which is a method of interpreting possible future outcomes, starting from an established point, and postulating "if" statements. It relies on extrapolation of "plausible" truths, meaning, they aren't so far fetched as to be improbable.

It's by no means a way of saying "This for certain will happen."

Who knows, maybe dStahl comes on here tomorrow and announces 3 new STFs, Regional Capture PvP and a Level Cap increase, along with a plan to get all known bugs fixed by the end of the year. That would certainly change the Plausible Progression Chain drastically.

However, there has been no indication that such a radical change is in the works, and I doubt that another 1, or even 2 FEs being added this year, would be enough of a course correction for this game, because it doesn't fix the fundamental flaws that exist.

I don't want to see this game fail. Frankly, I've invested alot into it, via the C-Store. More than I probably should have. However, seeing what I am now, I don't have a good feeling for the future. This, ends up effecting my support for the game through micro-transactions (as I believe it does for others as well, if they feel the same) and that only hastens the decline.
Lt. Commander
# 303
03-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Sorry, but his responses in that recent interview mean I pretty much ignore that guy. I really don't care what he says on Twitter or anywhere else. Anyone with that little respect for Star Trek, probably shouldn't be working on a Star Trek game in the first place.
+100

I honestly can't stand the man myself. Hope he moves on soon.
Lt. Commander
# 304
03-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Seeing the price on this new ship, really has me convinced that STO won't be around too much longer, and I think I'm going to be focusing more of my time on Champions and SWTOR.

This feels like a desperate last grab for money, and here is why I feel that way.

I think Cryptic is having a difficult time seeing the tree for the forest.

You can see it in all the decisions they make. They continue to push out C-Store filler, but at the cost of continued neglect to bugs, the Foundry, content, end game, guild progression, seamless galaxy and all the other things they continually say "we'd like to see..." or "coming soon".

It's a disease, and they don't even know that it is killing them. They produce C-Store stuff because it makes them money. But what is the purpose of C-Store stuff? It's meant to be used in game. But what happens when people run out of things to do in game? Then there is no point in buying the C-Store stuff, right?

They launched F2P in an effort to bring in new consumers of C-Store stuff, but they did so without significantly increasing content, and without addressing the endgame issue. So, all their new customers (from F2P) will soon hit the same point that all the pre-F2P have already hit. They will hit endgame, and find there is nothing to do. If there is nothing to do, there is no need to play, and if there is no need to play, then there is no need for C-Store stuff, and so, then Cryptic stops making money.

It's a vicious cycle that is further exacerbated by the fact they significantly increased leveling speed for F2P. The leveling process, was all they had going for them, and for many that joined, or came back for F2P, that leveling process will be done and over with, very soon.

If I were to put money on it, I would say that STO isn't likely to survive into 2013. If it does by some chance, it will be a very "maintenance mode" version of STO, as the developers, artists and coders are shuffled over to Neverwinter, and all that will remain on STO is the C-Store team, to milk that last penny until they have no choice but to pull the plug.

And for the record, Age of Conan, which fouled up in the same manner that STO did, focusing on cash shop instead of the inherent flaws in the game, for their F2P transition, will likely curl up and die as well, around the same time me thinks.

It's inevitable. You can't base the entirety of your financial model on producing things to use in a game, that has a finite end, because it hasn't been, or isn't being, proactively expanded.

Just my 2 slips.
No matter what happens, STO will long outlive Age of Conan. The number of Star Trek fans that will stick with this game even in a worst case scenario will keep the game afloat for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
They play Foundry Missions. You don't need to "write" them to play them.
Oddly, it seems like a large number of players don't know about foundry missions or don't care to count them as playable content. That needs to change.
Lt. Commander
# 305
03-14-2012, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey47 View Post
No matter what happens, STO will long outlive Age of Conan. The number of Star Trek fans that will stick with this game even in a worst case scenario will keep the game afloat for years to come.
That's a presumption. You can only push people so far before they snap, in this case just give up on the game and let it die.
Lt. Commander
# 306
03-14-2012, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron
Yes because the Dreadnaught does not cost 2000 c-points ... </sarcasm>

I was expecting it to be 1600 c-points minimum as all T5+1 ships are also 1600 c-points minimum, the Dreadnaught is 2000 c-points so this at the Dreadnaught level with the pack being literally "buy 2, get 1 free" that, I suspect. many people were considering in the first place so points wise it makes no real difference.

It hurts the ones that were expecting separate sales for the consoles but they never sold a console without a ship.
You speak very wisely.

I was gonna buy all three anyway and so danced a jig when I saw the bundle deal. (I expected the price of these T-5 ships to be at the high end of the ship pricing.

With the bundle, the equal out something like 1,333 or so c-points each.
Lt. Commander
# 307
03-14-2012, 05:14 AM
Something to remember about the content drought ...

It had no affect on the C-Store. 2011 saw the release of quite a bit of C-Store content, from uniforms to shuttles to ships.

The Section 31 uniform came out during the content drought. Think about how amazing that was. An all-black uniform was released into the cash shop!

/sigh

It's an indicator of what's wrong with the game. No new missions, but damn if they don't rush right out to get you all combat horta.
Lt. Commander
# 308
03-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decronia
That's a presumption. You can only push people so far before they snap, in this case just give up on the game and let it die.
Not a presumption. Star Trek fans have stuck through Voyager, Enterprise, Insurrection, Nemesis, then 6 years of no tv series, then the JJ reboot. Sorry to inform you, but this game is better than all of those.