Lt. Commander
# 21
03-14-2012, 09:26 PM
The best thing is you don't have to be afraid to ask a question here.

People always will give you a helpful and friendly answer. I have visited other forums and all you receive is ridicule and a punch in the guts for you troubles.

Overuse of ":p" is common here
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Butters
Okay guys and gals, it will not look good if the "STO Community Praised" thread has a lot of moderated posts or is locked, can we focus on the good of the community?

Ive always enjoyed the Trek community at large. they tend to be older men and have a older laid back and have a seasoned wisdom about them. I remember about a year before launch even we had a great community.

Ive made some real good friends though this game and hope to enjoy it for many years to come.
And this is EXACTLY why she said what she said about whiners. Here she writes a column about the positive experiences she's had in the game and people decide to bring up a comment she made a month ago on her personal account no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Just like the people who bash Cryptic and call them names are doing. So if bashing someone and calling them names makes you a "12 year old", then bashing the people who are bashing Cryptic and calling those people names just makes you guilty of the exact same thing they are doing.
Was she ranting when she said it? Absolutely!

Was she wrong for saying it? No.

Is there a difference between her comment and the ones on the forums? Absolutely

Why? Because she made a post on her PERSONAL twitter, not a thread in the public forums. She didn't come on here and start a thread "bashing" people. She made a personal comment for HER followers to read and linked her forum post, which BTW had no bashing.

The simple fact that in spite of the negativity she's witnessed she still finds bright spots in the game's community says a lot about us overall.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilv View Post
Was she ranting when she said it? Absolutely!

Was she wrong for saying it? No.

Is there a difference between her comment and the ones on the forums? Absolutely

Why? Because she made a post on her PERSONAL twitter, not a thread in the public forums. She didn't come on here and start a thread "bashing" people. She made a personal comment for HER followers to read and linked her forum post, which BTW had no bashing.
Your spin doctoring aside, ranting is ranting whether you do it on a video game forum or on twitter. And anyone who rants thinks that their rant is justified. If someone wants to bash members of the community on her twitter its cool; thats their right to do so. But its not somehow morally better than bashing the game here on the forums. Ranting is ranting. Bashing is bashing. Calling people names is calling people names. Whether its on the forums or twitter doesnt change that.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Your spin doctoring aside, ranting is ranting whether you do it on a video game forum or on twitter. And anyone who rants thinks that their rant is justified. If someone wants to bash the community on her twitter its cool; thats their right to do so. But its not somehow morally better than bashing the game here on the forums. Ranting is ranting. Bashing is bashing. Calling people names is calling people names. Whether its on the forums or twitter doesnt change that.
She didn't bash the community, she called out the whining babies in THAT thread. Get it str8. Whether you choose to acknowledge the differences between what she did and what so many do on here is on you, that doesn't mean there isn't 1.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-15-2012, 10:38 AM
City of Heroes retain a great community as well., Granted that might have to do with Cryptic development, but it largely remain so under NCsoft
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilv View Post
She didn't bash the community, she called out the whining babies in THAT thread.
Gotcha. I changed the word "community" to "members of the community" in my previous post. Either way the point is the same: Ranting is ranting. Bashing is bashing. Calling people names is calling people names. Whether its on the forums or twitter doesnt change that.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Our community often reminds me of that time "when Spock had to fight Kirk on Star Trek" Cable Guy style, sometimes we take things a little to far and forget to take a step back to look at the bigger picture (I know I have at some point past)... (got to love this scene right?) lol

We all like a little banter, we all love to agree to disagree, share our concepts, ideas and have fun while we're at it, some of us love the stories, some of us just want to blow stuff up and some just want a good ol' classic PvP match to vent our frustrations.

The list goes on and on, we're a very passionate community, all defenders of the IP as well as what we believe in, but PvP is for in game and not for our forums, so please try to keep the discussion constructively on topic.

Thanks!

Alecto
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Gotcha. I changed the word "community" to "members of the community" in my previous post. Either way the point is the same: Ranting is ranting. Bashing is bashing. Calling people names is calling people names. Whether its on the forums or twitter doesnt change that.
I refuse to apologize for not defending people who treat other players and company employees in this game with disdain. I simply refuse to give people the impression that I even tacitly or passively support people who had the audacity to PM a person who opened a box with their own money, using their freedom of choice, and send them hateful, rude and condescending remarks.

You're right. I called those people out for what I personally saw them to be. Why? Because they were HORRIFIC to nice people! I refuse to let other people be able to walk behind the shroud of gamer-forum-anonymity and not call it out for what it was.

I tweet about the game's magnificent things and people all the time!

But you're right! I once wanted to tweet a link to a post in the forums and along with that link add my opinion that conveyed my sadness over the fact that the negativity on the forums just seemed out of control; that there was an influx of posts that reflected prevalence of irrational anger, rage and pettiness over the game's implementation of an optional purchase; and that this prevalence of irrational anger, rage and pettiness over the game's implementation of an optional purchase was beginning to weigh down upon those of us who used to enjoy the forums, thereby making it difficult to come here in the hopes of finding any useful and/or relevant information about the game for those who might actually be searching for it.

Alas, since Twitter only allows me 140 characters to post a link and any associated description of the tenor of the referenced posters in that thread, I felt it best to take that elongated description and condense it into a tightly defined and succinct phrase that might prepare the Twitter user for what they could expect to find once they clicked on the link and then read the additional posts in that thread.

And that's what I did.

Gratefully GN, and as you are very aware and have been also very careful to say, the community in general isn't anywhere near as negative as those of whom I tweeted about on that one occasion.

My column was my attempt to provide the greater MMO readership evidence that the larger STO community, the one that you and I KNOW to exist in-game, can be found ... but alas, it's clear, they'll likely have to look past the forums in order to find it.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
I refuse to apologize...
No one asked you to apologize for anything. What I said was that everyone thinks their rant is justified, and your post proves my point. The people who you choose to collectively attack also believed their rants were justified, just like you believe yours was. I'm not saying either you or they are right or wrong, simply that you are both ranting, and you are both calling other people derogatory names or terms because you disagree with something that someone else did.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
No one asked you to apologize for anything. What I said was that everyone thinks their rant is justified, and your post proves my point. The people who you choose to collectively attack also believed their rants were justified, just like you believe yours was. I'm not saying either you or they are right or wrong, simply that you are both ranting, and you are both calling other people derogatory names or terms because you disagree with something that someone else did.
Stop making sense, Nagus.