Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilan
I'm sure I can remember somewhere, deep in the recesses of my memory, somebody once saying...

"You cannae break the laws of physics, Jem"

I could be wrong, but I'm sure it went something like that.

I am wondering, then, that given it takes infinite energy to transport matter at the speed of light, which, while being very, very speedy indeed is still a hell of a lot slower than "instant", where the power is coming from to perform this miraculous feat.

I presume, then, that at the very least, this is actually happening close to the speed of light rather than instantly and also that it will leave said Bortasqu with a zero power level in all subsystems and a warp core so hopelessly destroyed as to have no chance of that ship ever regaining power until a deep-space tug can be deployed to tow it's lifeless hulk back to a space dock somewhere?

No?
Our Combat range in this game is 10k, Speed of light is not required to appear instant at that tiny distance. I'd argue even a quarter the speed of light would be fast enough to appear instant at that distance. But let's also remember it's a video game based on a Sci Fi TV show. I favour fun over reality any day, until they make Mythbusters Online.

Hynaman or Savage which faction?
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Trick-Shot accolade? Save-for-later accolade? Waste-not/Want-not accolade?
In Reserve accolade? For a Rainy day accolade?

Solid-As-A-Rock Accolade

There does need to be some way to warn a user that they are about to be transported.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warduke73 View Post
Solid-As-A-Rock Accolade

There does need to be some way to warn a user that they are about to be transported.
according to the latest patch notes, they may have gone the other direction and just given the counter abilities a short term immunity to TP as well, rather than re-code the SS Snatcher as a re-active countered ability with a tell.

Unfortunately the patch notes are vague and we may need a Devs to give a response.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
this consul will be a fine addition to me ever growing collection of consul for my klink. next month will be a hell of a month for my toons.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warduke73 View Post
Solid-As-A-Rock Accolade

There is a way. Open the team list and check the Klink side for an engineer named K'Put. I'd rather fly on my tac, but K'Pow just doesn't fit. Guess there's an RPer in me.

I'm now thinking about naming the ship Rura Penthe since that was a Klingon prison constructed on an asteriod, but that might be too obscure.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Though I do find myslef saying, " Get over here!!" in a Mortal Kombat voice when ever I use it.
LOL

It would be awesome if it had that voice acting connected with it.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilan
Don't the bulk of the ships in Star Trek have FTL warp drives enabling them to "bend" the laws of physics by creating a warp field envelope around themselves. In fact, isn't the ability you refer to, in essence, just a variant of the "Picard Maneuver"?

This is totally different from being able to use their warp cores to transport (for want of a better word) "foreign" matter, ie a different ship, that is outside their own warp field envelope. This is more like a site-to-site transfer and my point that there would be insufficient power to move an entire starship in this manner still stands.

I'm afraid to say that on this one you just totally missed the point.
How this works, story wise, was explained in another thread in the testing area of the forums.... damn if I can remember it though
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jockey79 View Post
How this works, story wise, was explained in another thread in the testing area of the forums.... damn if I can remember it though
I can remember quite clearly because CaptainGeko and I got snippy with each other over it. Denari asked why, if you can transport a ship, wouldn't you just leave it in the buffers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeko
As for fiction, It's not a transporter - it's a subspace jump - like a wormhole, subspace corridor or a transwarp conduit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRicky View Post
Yes, but if you can suck them into a hole, corridor, or conduit, why not just slam the door shut and leave them in there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeko
Because its a game.

When Jameway transported a torpedo inside the borg probe and destroyed it from within, why didnt they just do that all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
because it doesn't work that way? o.O

To make the conduit, it has to have entrance and exit. the "door" naturally shut itself shut but not till after the desired effect
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRicky View Post
Sure it can. If it's a wormhole similar to the Bajoran one then it takes a phase-conjugate graviton beam. A transwarp corridor was blow up with plain old torpedoes. And the generic "subspace corridors" are notoriously dangerous, usually requiring special precautions to avoid damage while traveling through one.

Denari's original question stands. If you have the power to pick up an enemy ship and move it through space against the will of everyone on board, why do so in a manner that leaves it undamaged?

Wow CaptainGecko, sensitive much? So the attempt to back up a mechanic with Trek lore fails, we go to "It's a game"? Why try to defend it in the first place?

Anyway, sorry to derail. I'm not going to be able to play for about another 8 hours, but as penance for being a nitpicky geek I promise to log onto tribble and try to snare things into places and other things until I break something, then post it here.
I thought Geko's "It's a game" answer was pretty craptastic. But, it did lead me to go try to break stuff and discover the Subspace Snatch geometry weapon I am proprietarily naming the K'Put Maneuver.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Iíve given some thought to some combos that could be pretty fun to try out with the Subspace Snare and Subspace jump consoles.

Iím not sure if Gravity well and Tractor beam share a cool down since I have not used Tractor Beam in ages.

The Science Bortasqu could be pretty fun

Sensor Scan + Gravity Well 1 + Subspace Jump + Tractor Beam + Subspace Stall + Subnucleonic beam + Auto Cannon

All the while youíre blasting away at your target with your attacks of choice.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Captain Geko handled this, so I may be getting individual details wrong, but as I understand it:
  • The range is about 7.5km
  • There is a 3s tell on both source and target ships
  • Several abilities including Polarize Hull and Reverse Shield Polarity (and I think one or two others) will protect against this; moving out of range before the tell is complete will also prevent the teleport
  • You get an immunity to being teleported again after being teleported