Lt. Commander
# 51
03-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTaxi View Post
Agreed. I'm not worried in the least about what was said in 2008. Just pointing out that it was said. The idea of a full Klingon faction wasn't an afterthought or a hint at things to come, it was a clear statement by the developer on what was going to be in the game at launch.

I, for one, purchased a pre-order Lifetime sub based on the premiss that this was to be true. It turned out not to be the case.
If you bought it even though they said several time before launch that KDF would not be a full faction, that is 100% your fault. the blame lies on you if you did not want a product that did not have a full KDF faction. In fact it was possible to get a full refund AFTER the game came out within 1 month. Don't try to blame Cryptic for a poor purchase. If you don't like the set up, say you don't like it & you want them to change it, that's fine. But don't try to go into the "they lied/promised/victim" thing.

See, that's my whole problem with the vocal KDF players. they play the victim game. It's bogus. Complaining about the faction imbalance, mission quality, ship prices.. I'm all for that. But don't try to pull the "they broke their solemn promise" thing. If they have a feature on an official ad that doesn't ship, ok, that's a valid issue, but jeez you have to be realistic about what they can do.

btw, everyone here acts like they haven't improved the KDF. Uh... that's not very realistic either. There is lots of work to be done, but they HAVE been doing improvements.
Lt. Commander
# 52
03-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksunG View Post
If you bought it even though they said several time before launch that KDF would not be a full faction, that is 100% your fault. the blame lies on you if you did not want a product that did not have a full KDF faction. In fact it was possible to get a full refund AFTER the game came out within 1 month. Don't try to blame Cryptic for a poor purchase. If you don't like the set up, say you don't like it & you want them to change it, that's fine. But don't try to go into the "they lied/promised/victim" thing.

See, that's my whole problem with the vocal KDF players. they play the victim game. It's bogus. Complaining about the faction imbalance, mission quality, ship prices.. I'm all for that. But don't try to pull the "they broke their solemn promise" thing. If they have a feature on an official ad that doesn't ship, ok, that's a valid issue, but jeez you have to be realistic about what they can do.

btw, everyone here acts like they haven't improved the KDF. Uh... that's not very realistic either. There is lots of work to be done, but they HAVE been doing improvements.
Whatever...
Lt. Commander
# 53
03-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Quote:

I wasn't complaining, I was simply pointing out that the statement about the KDF was made. They also stated that KDF would be fleshed out and completed to be on par with Fed side. Yet another thing that hasn't happened.

And yes, the promise of a full KDF faction was enough to keep me from returning my pre-order. That and I never actually saw an official post on pre-order refunds. I'm not saying it was never there so if you can find any official post, I'd like to see it. I saw a few threads of people wanting refunds but that's about it.

Like I said, I'm not complaining, just adding to the debate.
Lt. Commander
# 54
03-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Quote:
See, that's my whole problem with the vocal KDF players. they play the victim game. It's bogus. Complaining about the faction imbalance, mission quality, ship prices.. I'm all for that.
What?

It's kind of weak, the way they've set up the KDF to always be second fiddle to Starfleet. The KDF is set up to fail & not make as much $$$ as Starfleet content in the c store because there's just more to enjoy with Starfleet. Nothing wrong with STO being a Starfleet game because Star Trek is about Starfleet.

The KDF is just crippled as it is, and will always cater to a small minority of the player base. It's not a full faction, and nobody should pretend that it is... even if some Starfleet players don't see that.

There's no victimhood here, in any case.

Mission quality... Starfleet might complain about quality as well, but at least those are Starfleet missions that KDF are able to do when it makes sufficient sense to the story. And the 2800 was good (as a DS9 fan), but it was clearly Starfleet content that happened to be accessible to the KDF. I'd expect nothing less.

At least the KDF was there in the 2800 as an afterthought.

/if BoP-like ships go over to Starfleet, there would be basically no reason for me to play KDF any more. Maybe it's time to put the last nail in the coffin?
Lt. Commander
# 55
03-15-2012, 12:41 AM
The next one how wants every bit KDF for Feds and tells that KDF has no right for full faction content.
Wonderfull

Cryptic and then PW said that they would bring KDF up to par with Federation.

Their inability or incompetence to do so speaks great lenghts about their future for STO.
PW will squeese as much cash out of the Fed Faction and close the game down then.
Lt. Commander
# 56
03-15-2012, 04:36 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Klingon play unlocked at level 25!?!?
Yeah. Its the temporary solution to help launch F2P that seems to be the permanent problem of the faction now.
We have ships, We have a new First City and Academy. Aside from some more costume options, a completed faction that allows one to start from Warrior would finish up the faction nicely and allow the Devs to move on to other aspects of the game.

They could start levls 1-10 with a get-to-know the politics of how the KDF came to be with its new races and political interests now integrated into its society. They could do a short series on why we are war with the federation, Why we are under siege by the Fehkl'r and how the Undine are involved. We could see a mission about the Gorn, the Orion and Nausican joining the KDF.
The possibilities to expand the player knowledge of both the Empire and the comings and goings of it are wide open.
Lt. Commander
# 57
03-15-2012, 04:46 AM
[quote]
Quote:
If you don't like the set up, say you don't like it & you want them to change it, that's fine. But don't try to go into the "they lied/promised/victim" thing.
Thats what this whole vocallity of the KDF fans stems from in the forums.
Read the archived forums on what reaction the Dev and Snix got when they pulled the last minute "monster Play and PvP oriented" option they used before launch for the KDF and you will see where many many fans said they disliked it and wanted it changed from the very beginings and then see where the EP at that time said the fans wanted more to the faction then the Devs would add it.
Or better yet go back to the Press release where they openly stated a full Klingon level of gameplay would be availible.

Or even better yet find Perigrine falcons history of the KDF and see where the angst has spawned from and why we continue to ask for the completion and why we have felt then and still feel let down as we continue the waiting game.

Our asking for a better level of gameplay is no less rude, egocentric or a sense of victomized entitlement that the numerous threads by the feds asking for the things they want ingame that have so far been denied them and its no less importantt to us to have that full faction than hair tech, new ships and other minutia is the them.

You are right though, we KDF fans have recieved a great deal of fleshing out over the last two years and it is awesome to have it, but now after those two years its time to turn the dial towards completion of the faction and move on to the next.
Lt. Commander
# 58
03-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Just because STO's Free to Play doesn't make this go away!
Lt. Commander
# 59
03-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Worrying about what a video from 2008 states is somewhat meaningless. The world's in a different place today then it was then. Businesses need to look at different things to stay financially solvent - especially in the hobby/entertainment industry.
The poster isn't worried about the statement. They're just offering up some evidence to refute the commonly cited and commonly wrong misconception that the KDF was originally planned as PvP only.
Lt. Commander
# 60
03-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
If you bought it even though they said several time before launch that KDF would not be a full faction
They said several times before launch that the KDF would be a full faction.

This is so confusing.