Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Forget Me Not
By Sovereign77x

Mission ID: ST-HFMIG9X2P
Length: 30 to 60 minutes (determined by your choices)
Faction: Federation
Level Requirement: 16+



Synopsis:

A supply convoy has gone missing while under the protection of your former protégé and close friend, Commander Samantha Taryn. In a time when so much is sacrificed, and so many lives are lost, you will go to extraordinary lengths to bring this one Starfleet officer home.


Greeting STO Community,

I am excited to debut my new Foundry mission, Forget Me Not. This mission is the result of about 40 to 50 hours worth of work. Although the mission itself can be completed in only 30 to 60 minutes, it is easily the most complex mission I have created to date. Below are a few of the reasons I believe you should give my mission a try.


Your Choices Matter

My primary purpose with this mission is to offer radically different game play experiences to players based upon their decisions. If you are looking for a solid combat experience, you'll find it here; however, if you are looking for a mission that is dialogue and puzzle driven--one that you can complete without firing a shot--then you'll find it here also. Both approaches are fully realized, and very believable in light of your choices.


Optional Stealth Game Play



At one point in the mission, you will have the option to complete your objectives using stealth, rather than force. This approach offers several unique puzzles, such as sneaking past enemies undetected, finding your way through a smokescreen, and overcoming temptation. Players can customize their stealth experience by choosing whether they want to play in easy or hard mode.


Unique Storytelling

If you played my Deadly Intentions mission series, you'll notice some big differences with this mission. While Deadly Intentions endeavored to tell an epic story, Forget Me Not is much more personal. I've actually taken some creative license, and written some back-story for your character referencing events from other missions in the game. Ultimately, I hope this will allow players to have a much more personal connection to the narrative.


I am humbled and grateful for the warm reception my previous missions have received from the Star Trek Online community. I hope that many will find this mission to be similarly enjoyable. Please feel free to post your comments, feedback, and suggestions for improvement in this post.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2 Great Mission
03-10-2012, 09:50 PM
A fine addition to all the missions written by you thus far. The Choice between easy and hard, and Stealth and combat is very unique, and adds a great deal of replayability. Another awesome story from the Science King of Sol Vanguard!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-10-2012, 11:53 PM
I played this mission and enjoyed it immensely. Many missions in STO have a very narrow focus with little actual story or background. This mission provides opportunities to actually make decisions that have consequences and there is some variation in the mission itself. The story is really nice and deals with the internal struggles Starfleet officers may face in the course of their duties. Throughout the mission is the specter of failure even if the mission is successful and there is a palpable sense of loss whenever something doesn't go quite right. Your characters seem more alive than just pixels and that is how it should be in a role playing game.

I hope you enjoy this mission as much as I did.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenalis View Post
A fine addition to all the missions written by you thus far. The Choice between easy and hard, and Stealth and combat is very unique, and adds a great deal of replayability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclespanky
I played this mission and enjoyed it immensely. Many missions in STO have a very narrow focus with little actual story or background. This mission provides opportunities to actually make decisions that have consequences and there is some variation in the mission itself. The story is really nice and deals with the internal struggles Starfleet officers may face in the course of their duties. Throughout the mission is the specter of failure even if the mission is successful and there is a palpable sense of loss whenever something doesn't go quite right. Your characters seem more alive than just pixels and that is how it should be in a role playing game.

I hope you enjoy this mission as much as I did.
Thanks for taking the time to play my mission; I'm glad you guys enjoyed it!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I realy enjoyed playing this mission. I liked being able to choose if I wanted to play the goody goody Starfleet officer, or dabble with my dark side.

I look forward to playing more foundry games by this author.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I would love to see this mission (and other Foundry missions) added to STOwiki.org's Foundry Portal section by their respective authors.

Hint, hint!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucana
I would love to see this mission (and other Foundry missions) added to STOwiki.org's Foundry Portal section by their respective authors.

Hint, hint!
That's a great idea! I'll have to get my mission added.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
03-16-2012, 02:41 AM
I played your mission and thought it was decent, and I liked the stealth idea. But I unfortunately failed the stealth portion early on. The fighting after that kind of just annoyed me because it reminded me how stupid the BOFFs are (I hate them! ), but that's not your fault. It's a shame that I failed the stealth portion because I think the mission would probably have been a lot more enjoyable if I hadn't.

Here's some more detailed feedback with some suggestions. I sort of thought twice as to whether I should post this, because I don't want to discourage you. I hope my feedback doesn't come across as too critical, because I do think it was a good effort and a good idea you came up with.


* I think it should be Federation-Romulan (rather than with a /). Also, I think it would be good to add a few more paragraph breaks in long dialogue texts.

* Commander Taryn? I think it would be more fitting if she were a captain. While the game has you commanding a ship at less than captain rank, I think your (the player's) situation should be treated as an anomaly. Other people in command of a ship should be captains, in my opinion.

* I don't think the help text is really necessary in the next map pop-up. I believe players should be familiar with that sort of pop-up from playing the regular game already. It's your call, but I don't really think that's needed (maybe you've been getting some bad reviews or something, but I've never experienced anything related to that).

* I'd suggest putting the scan sensor anomalies objectives as a single objective with all five listed and then using component reached and component complete to load the other events. It would make the mission list less cluttered.

* You should also add a short description of how to set a rally point in the stealth description section. That's something a lot of players aren't going to know. Here's the language I used in my mission: http://www.nagorak.com/waypointdialogue.jpg

* The force field puzzle was good. No complaints there.

* I tried hard mode and then failed the stealth aspect in the first room. It's a good idea, but I think the trouble is that there's no easy way to restart if you fail. If it was an SP game we could just reload the map and try again. Anyway, you might want to put a note that the stealth approach is very hard without guidance, maybe even recommending people use the easy mode on their first play through. You might want to change the names of the two options to "Normal" and "Expert" or something like that. I'd still probably have chosen the hard option without some strenuous advice not to, but when one is called "easy" it makes me not want to do it on principle.

* In terms of the included back story, I think it's an innovative idea, but unfortunately it wasn't quite enough to connect with me on an emotional level. Even though my character has supposedly dealt with Taryn before, I hadn't. I didn't really know much about her or have any real connection to her. Who knows, maybe this was just a problem with me? I do like the attempt to make the mission more personally meaningful, but I think it would be more effective if you introduced a character in a couple of other missions to build attachment and then used him/her in this setting. Of course, that does require people to play the other missions first, which is a down side.

Anyway, I'm sorry again if this comes across as too critical. Keep up the good work.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9 Great Feedback!
03-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Anyway, I'm sorry again if this comes across as too critical. Keep up the good work.
Don't apologize! Given your reputation as one of the Foundry's most successful authors, it's wonderful to get your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Anyway, you might want to put a note that the stealth approach is very hard without guidance, maybe even recommending people use the easy mode on their first play through. You might want to change the names of the two options to "Normal" and "Expert" or something like that.
This is an excellent suggestion. Although I tried to be very explicit about the differences between hard and easy mode (and that failure is a very real possibility on hard), many players will probably choose that option simply because they don't like the sound of "easy." I'll go in and change the options to "normal" and "expert," and adjust the wording to reflect your recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Commander Taryn? I think it would be more fitting if she were a captain. While the game has you commanding a ship at less than captain rank, I think your (the player's) situation should be treated as an anomaly. Other people in command of a ship should be captains, in my opinion.
You know, I actually thought of this. Because the mission only requires the player to be at level 16+, I decided against it. After all, Samantha Taryn is supposed to be your protégé--it would be strange if she was already a captain given that the player might only be a lieutenant commander or commander. While I appreciate the recommendation, I'll probably leave this as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I don't think the help text is really necessary in the next map pop-up. I believe players should be familiar with that sort of pop-up from playing the regular game already. It's your call, but I don't really think that's needed (maybe you've been getting some bad reviews or something, but I've never experienced anything related to that).
(Pointing to my nose) Sadly, this is exactly why I put those prompts into the mission. With my Deadly Intentions mission series, I had an unusual situation where the final two missions in the trilogy required the player to be at least level forty-one; however, the first was available to players at all levels. That first mission received several one star reviews from players who accidentally warped out of the mission, thinking they could travel to one of the maps in sector space. Some became quite agitated, believing I had led them on a goose chase searching for something that didn't exist (one of those players even gave all three of my missions a one star review just for spite).

Of course, the downside of adding the prompts is that experienced players might find them condescending. Hopefully, they'll understand that I'm offering this help to newer players and not take offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I'd suggest putting the scan sensor anomalies objectives as a single objective with all five listed and then using component reached and component complete to load the other events. It would make the mission list less cluttered.
This is a good idea. Right now, the anomalies are not objects with which you interact; rather, I've used place markers that allow me to keep the identity of the objects hidden until the player gets in range. The actual interaction is purely optional (although the player probably won't know that). If I changed the objective from reaching place markers to interacting with objects, I could combine them into a single objective, but I wouldn't be able to hide them (they would be visible the moment the objective became active). Any recommendations on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
In terms of the included back story, I think it's an innovative idea, but unfortunately it wasn't quite enough to connect with me on an emotional level.
I knew this wasn't going to be a hit with everyone. Thankfully, several of the early player reviews have pointed to this as one of the things they liked most about the mission. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you're in the minority on this..

As I recall, you weren't the biggest fan of the Deadly Intentions story either, but that was the feature most responsible for its success (it certainly wasn't my technical prowess).

p.s. That was a friendly nudge... please don't interpret it as a challenge or dismissal of your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Keep up the good work.
Thank you! And thanks for taking the time to play my mission and offer some truly excellent suggestions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
03-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign77x View Post
This is a good idea. Right now, the anomalies are not objects with which you interact; rather, I've used place markers that allow me to keep the identity of the objects hidden until the player gets in range. The actual interaction is purely optional (although the player probably won't know that). If I changed the objective from reaching place markers to interacting with objects, I could combine them into a single objective, but I wouldn't be able to hide them (they would be visible the moment the objective became active). Any thoughts on this?
Is it not possible to make multiple reach markers a single objective? I guess I've never tried that but I just assumed it could be done. If you want to leave the interaction to be optional nothing can be done, but if yuo don't mind if the interaction is required (which sort of makes sense since you're searching) then you can do this:

Set the actual interact object to be an invisible object. Nothing will be seen since it's invisible anyway. Then have the ship or whatever still appear based off of component reached (just leave the reach markers that are there and use them for component reached).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign77x View Post
I knew this wasn't going to be a hit with everyone. Thankfully, several of the early player reviews have pointed to this as one of the things they liked most about the mission. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you're in the minority on this..

As I recall, you weren't the biggest fan of the Deadly Intentions story either, but that was the feature most responsible for its success (it certainly wasn't my technical prowess).

p.s. That was a friendly nudge... please don't interpret it as a challenge or dismissal of your opinion.
Well, I'm certainly going to be one of the most critical reviewers you can get. It's probably good that I made my own missions so people can at least understand where I'm coming from, rather than thinking I just have a huge chip on my shoulder.

Also, while I'm sure I wasn't the biggest fan of Deadly Intentions, just the other day I recommended it to someone who asked about other missions to play besides my own. Obviously I liked the series well enough to not only remember them, but also recommend them.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 PM.