Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
03-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
The Doomsday Device didn't need remastering .
It was epic to fight the doomsday device in your own ship .
It got to be a total fail to fight it in a rent-a-ship BOP .
The idea of letting the Feds fly a Kling ship was a good one , just not in a mission that had so much going for it in terms of canon .
There were two missions that were "epic Trek" in this game : The Doomsday Device and The Guardian .
One of those missions I can't bring myself to replay anymore .
No, Doomsday Device did need remastering. Maybe not as extensively remastered as it ended up (being forced into a BoP with crappy gear is annoying), but it needed it. The original mission had no explanation for what the Klingons were doing with the thing, you just warped into the system, took down the planet's defenses, beamed to the surface to steal the weapons and then there was the doomsday device. No explanation for where it came from, why it was in Federation space, why the Klingons were messing around with it, or why B'vat in particular was interested in it. The thing was just there, plopped into the middle of the system, and you just had to destroy the thing. There were so many gaps left to be filled in that the mission didn't make any sense whatsoever. While it wasn't the worst mission (Divide et Impera gets that distinction), it was definitely one of the bad ones that needed retooling for the sake of clarification.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
03-19-2012, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenMirror
Yea remaster nothing (and if u do remaster make sure ever cutscene is skippable... ugh that klingons singing...) New content, not old content remade, make standalone missions. not change everything, if u change everything then u have the same ammount of content, if u add content u have more content... simple right?
If you prefer quantity over quality, sure.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
03-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by o4q View Post
If you prefer quantity over quality, sure.
No .
This is about asking to be told different tales , instead of asking to be told the same old tale differently .
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
03-19-2012, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
No .
This is about asking to be told different tales , instead of asking to be told the same old tale differently .
There are only 20 tales...it's basically a case of them being told differently.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
03-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Nightblade View Post
The original mission had no explanation for what the Klingons were doing with the thing, you just warped into the system, took down the planet's defenses, beamed to the surface to steal the weapons and then there was the doomsday device. No explanation for where it came from, why it was in Federation space, why the Klingons were messing around with it, or why B'vat in particular was interested in it.
While I can agree to disagree , IMHO it didn't need all that .
If it would have been a tale of the origin of the Doomsday Machine ... -- like the hints in the "Vendetta" novel about it being created as a superweapon to fight the Borg by an embittered race who didn't care how many civilizations their weapon destroyed as long as they got the Borg as well -- that would have been fine (4 me at least) .
Shoe horning it into becoming B'Vat's evil plot of the week took away from the story , not added to it .

Quote:
While it wasn't the worst mission (Divide et Impera gets that distinction)
I like that one ... in a "I hate it but I like it" kind of way .
It's the best "questionable morals" story this game has to offer .
It makes you stop and think for a sec about mindlessly following orders . That one is GOOD Star Trek !!
Good Star Trek makes you think .
And unlike "B'Vat's evil plot of the week" , it makes perfect sense for the Undine to pull something like that .
The fact that the Romulans don't retaliate is the fail , not that great mission .
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
03-19-2012, 02:41 AM
Cryptic does only care for the money in your bank.
They will release much more C-Store over the next month then add new content.
IMO new content release will come to a halt in favour of rapid C-Store releases.

That's PW future of STO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
03-19-2012, 04:07 AM
Cryptic will make systems(pvp, star bases, doff) and cstore junk from now on guys.
Remastered missions, fe's, and kdf content is too hard for cryptic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
03-19-2012, 04:45 AM
Where would they possibly get the money/resources to remaster stuff?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
03-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
While I can agree to disagree , IMHO it didn't need all that .
If it would have been a tale of the origin of the Doomsday Machine ... -- like the hints in the "Vendetta" novel about it being created as a superweapon to fight the Borg by an embittered race who didn't care how many civilizations their weapon destroyed as long as they got the Borg as well -- that would have been fine (4 me at least) .
Shoe horning it into becoming B'Vat's evil plot of the week took away from the story , not added to it .
I'm not wild about how it was used either, but then I'm not a big fan of B'vat anyway. He feels waaay too cartoony (especially with the VO he got in Doomsday Device). As for the device being an anti-Borg weapon, I'll just say that, IMO, Trek fans have this habit of connecting dots that don't need to be connected (V'ger to the Borg, Trelane to Q, and a few others). But that's another discussion.


Quote:
I like that one ... in a "I hate it but I like it" kind of way .
It's the best "questionable morals" story this game has to offer .
It makes you stop and think for a sec about mindlessly following orders . That one is GOOD Star Trek !!
Good Star Trek makes you think .
And unlike "B'Vat's evil plot of the week" , it makes perfect sense for the Undine to pull something like that .
The fact that the Romulans don't retaliate is the fail , not that great mission .
The problem is that your captain gets thrown the universe's biggest Idiot Ball. It's obvious after you scan the four crates that you're being played for a sucker by Admiral Not-A-Spy. At that point, any Starfleet officer with a modicum of brains would put the mission on hold to figure out just what exactly is going on. But you're not given that option, you're just railroaded into believing Admiral Not-A-Spy's obvious lies and you go on a killing spree in this Romulan medical research facility. If you were given a choice, if you could stop and say, "let's open up these crates just to double check," then that mission would be sooooo much better.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
03-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Nightblade View Post
I'm not wild about how it was used either, but then I'm not a big fan of B'vat anyway. He feels waaay too cartoony (especially with the VO he got in Doomsday Device). As for the device being an anti-Borg weapon, I'll just say that, IMO, Trek fans have this habit of connecting dots that don't need to be connected (V'ger to the Borg, Trelane to Q, and a few others). But that's another discussion.



The problem is that your captain gets thrown the universe's biggest Idiot Ball. It's obvious after you scan the four crates that you're being played for a sucker by Admiral Not-A-Spy. At that point, any Starfleet officer with a modicum of brains would put the mission on hold to figure out just what exactly is going on. But you're not given that option, you're just railroaded into believing Admiral Not-A-Spy's obvious lies and you go on a killing spree in this Romulan medical research facility. If you were given a choice, if you could stop and say, "let's open up these crates just to double check," then that mission would be sooooo much better.
I agree and also after you beam back up to your ship and the Romulan ships show up you should have been able to pull a Captain Kirk and surrendered yourself into Romulan Custody in order to prevent a war. This mission reminded me of the Undiscovered Country if Kirk was more of a jerk.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 AM.