Lt. Commander
# 1 PvP and Ship Tiers
03-18-2012, 09:46 PM
There's a game called Need for Speed World that has a car tier system much like Star Trek Online has ship tier levels. I mention this because some of their PvP matches use a tier based system. This means you couldn't bring a tier 2 car into a tier 1 match and vice versa. Why not have a similar system for Star Trek Online? Public based PvP matches split into different tiers levels, where max level players who have kept their lower tier starships or who have bought lower tier ships from the cstore can fight it out vs other ships of the same tier.

Why I want this:
More variety in PvP
End game PvP for lower tier ships.
C-Store ships below VA are no longer worthless to players end game.
Might encourage more c-store ship purchases.
We can stop asking for retrofits of low end ships. (Maybe :p)

I don't see any cons to this, other than the possibility of end game weapons being a tad too powerful, but that can be solved by deleveling the player the same way you can delevel yourself for your team mates in missions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2012, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomfrost View Post
There's a game called Need for Speed World that has a car tier system much like Star Trek Online has ship tier levels. I mention this because some of their PvP matches use a tier based system. This means you couldn't bring a tier 2 car into a tier 1 match and vice versa. Why not have a similar system for Star Trek Online? Public based PvP matches split into different tiers levels, where max level players who have kept their lower tier starships or who have bought lower tier ships from the cstore can fight it out vs other ships of the same tier.

Why I want this:
More variety in PvP
End game PvP for lower tier ships.
C-Store ships below VA are no longer worthless to players end game.
Might encourage more c-store ship purchases.
We can stop asking for retrofits of low end ships. (Maybe :p)

I don't see any cons to this, other than the possibility of end game weapons being a tad too powerful, but that can be solved by deleveling the player the same way you can delevel yourself for your team mates in missions.
Allowing VAs to compete in lower tier ships with low level players would be horrible. As it is, TSI or Sad Pandas can faceroll any VA pug in the game. Not only can they work together, but they have the gear, weapons, captain skills etc to make it not even a fight so much as target practice.

Now, at VA level I don't mind this. I take the opportunity to learn their tactics, and try my best to make it at least 15-1 or 15-2. However, i'm a VA and have been around a while. Other people at low levels are newbies, and as an F2P player getting rolled 15-0 by TSI may well discourage them from further PVP. We want to do the opposite, ENCOURAGING them. We want more players filling the queues and making their own premades, not less.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Riker
Allowing VAs to compete in lower tier ships with low level players would be horrible. As it is, TSI or Sad Pandas can faceroll any VA pug in the game. Not only can they work together, but they have the gear, weapons, captain skills etc to make it not even a fight so much as target practice.

Now, at VA level I don't mind this. I take the opportunity to learn their tactics, and try my best to make it at least 15-1 or 15-2. However, i'm a VA and have been around a while. Other people at low levels are newbies, and as an F2P player getting rolled 15-0 by TSI may well discourage them from further PVP. We want to do the opposite, ENCOURAGING them. We want more players filling the queues and making their own premades, not less.
You do know that PvP missions match players of the same rank already? So a VA entering a tier 1 match would be paired with other VA's in tier 1 ships just like a Captain entering a PvP match would be paired with other Captains or a Lieutenant being paired with other Lieutenants, etc...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomfrost View Post
You do know that PvP missions match players of the same rank already? So a VA entering a tier 1 match would be paired with other VA's in tier 1 ships just like a Captain entering a PvP match would be paired with other Captains or a Lieutenant being paired with other Lieutenants, etc...
Yes, I know that. I thought your post was suggesting that PVP tiers be determined by ship instead of by rank.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Riker
Yes, I know that. I thought your post was suggesting that PVP tiers be determined by ship instead of by rank.
The OP wants:

Rank 1 - Tier 1
Rank 2 - Tier 1, 2
Rank 3 - Tier 1, 2, 3
Rank 4 - Tier 1, 2, 3, 4
Rank 5 - Tier 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Each as separate queues.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Character level still matters for effectiveness. So what I could see and would really like is something like a a Vice Admiral Tier 3 ship Queue.

But a queue where everyone in Tier 3 ships regardless of ranks flies would probably be very unbalanced.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
The OP wants:

Rank 1 - Tier 1
Rank 2 - Tier 1, 2
Rank 3 - Tier 1, 2, 3
Rank 4 - Tier 1, 2, 3, 4
Rank 5 - Tier 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Each as separate queues.