Lt. Commander
# 41
03-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
In everything that's been mentioned about the new Klingon mission, it's been singular. ONE mission. Whoop dee doo.

They need to stop trying to make everything live up to FEs - it takes too long to add voice acting and cutscenes to all the new stuff. Besides, FEs are supposed to be special. Just make some regular missions already!

Edit: There was a thread a while back about what players considered content. As I recall, it focused on mission and stuff to do with items, not the items themselves. Cryptic has given us a book that ends on a cliff hanger, and instead of giving us the sequel, gives us a fancy new bookmark, and says "Here's the new content!" The bookmark is nice, but it's be even better if I had the new book to read it with...
They never needed the "new techs" and "redo the old zone/mobs/ai/costume for everything involved with the fe. If cryptic wants to, go ahead. But don't include it in the timeline. Well told fe's don't need that. This is star trek. Some of the best episodes didn't involve anything special. Just good storytelling.
Cryptic is running into the "bigger, better, louder" pushing the envelope problem and doesn't want to do fe's because of this fake cost. Use the foundry toolset and continue the story!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-20-2012, 08:35 AM
[quote=Roach;4108510]
Quote:
Some valid thoughts in your post.

Has it ever entered the mind though, that the reason so mnay KDF fans do Ker'rat for just PvP and the PvP ques (or just do not play at all after DOffing) is not becuase there is just not enough to do but also becuase they have done that little which they have so many times that even it has become beyond boring and repetitiuos?

If the Devs want clean plates they need to offer more fare than they currently do to the KDF to give them the appetite to clean thier plates.
The feds do not suffer this in my eyes and I have many choices to allieviate the pattern of my grind when I play my fed. That does not exist on my Klingon.
I agree with everything you're saying.

I think the target of a KDF strategy has to be centered on increasing the number of disgruntled KDF players before the ones we have now can be gruntled.

The midterm strategy here, I think, is to increase the number of unhappy KDF players in total before the current ones can be made happy.
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivarST
Dude, you should really start writing some Q-Troll foundries.
Much healthier and more constructive outlet for your inner .. Q. :p
I agree...
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
They never needed the "new techs" and "redo the old zone/mobs/ai/costume for everything involved with the fe. If cryptic wants to, go ahead. But don't include it in the timeline. Well told fe's don't need that. This is star trek. Some of the best episodes didn't involve anything special. Just good storytelling.
Cryptic is running into the "bigger, better, louder" pushing the envelope problem and doesn't want to do fe's because of this fake cost. Use the foundry toolset and continue the story!!!!
I don't disagree but you've just hit on a hot button political issue in the gaming industry and while Bioware is an extremist group on one side, I think Cryptic is staffed by some extremists in the David Jaffe camp. Check out his DICE 2012 keynote. Not gonna link it because it contains NSFW language.

Jaffe has points but I think there's some stuff he just plain doesn't get and I want to actually start a dialogue.

Game design is polarized. Some of these folks shut down and nerd rage against the very idea of story and I think there's internal resistance at Cryptic that prevents the kind of thing you describe.

The problem is that there are more than two viewpoints but Jaffe-types and Bioware are dominating the dialogue and people seem skeptical about any position that contends that story vs. gameplay spectrums are not an accurate model, are fueled by a false understanding of story and Aristotle's poetics that have been perpetrated since Gutenberg, a warped view pushed by Hollywood that has corrupted gaming narratology.

Warren Spector -- of Deus Ex and Epic Mickey -- knows where it's at, more or less. But his views are not widely held yet and bad academics keep steering this discussion back into unproductive circles by regurgitating film school ideas about storytelling... And/or opposing film school ideas about storytelling.

From a PRODUCTION standpoint, I think Cryptic could borrow more from TV and film. But from a narrative standpoint, you need to stop promoting or opposing film ideas about storytelling, which are wrongheaded and based around over glorified directors telling non-collaborative stories.

The problem is with film, not with story but gaming -- and I suspect, Cryptic -- is full of people with an extreme anti-story bias that is unproductive and unhelpful.
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-20-2012, 09:09 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Q
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Point in case

Seriously though, is hinting at randomly released content the best we can expect going forward? Have the Devs completely given up on any kind of actual schedule for releasing new content? It would seem so.
I'd say they have a schedule, but I'll also say they're not going to announce anything until VERY near release as one of the things most people felt regarding DStahl's Engineering Reports was that he promised a lot of thing that were 'coming'; but due to various reasons ultimately didn't make it into the game.

Thus I wouldb't be surprised if going forward, Cryptic will be like every other MMO developwer now, and obnly annnouce something new when it's a few days away from going live on the main, or the test server.

The fact people are already screaming 'it's another content drought' a week after a 5 part FE series concluded just underscores the fact that if they announce something that doesn't come to pass; those who just like to bash the game will have a field day.

I too am really dissapoint that the future of FEs is up in the air, as I don't see how something that brings players into the game (and this last one did just that with queues of 1600+ over the weekends they were running) is somehow not a good use of Dev resources; but again, overall actual communication about any new substancial content (and I know Heretic is putting new Doff stuff into the game at a fairly constant pace; but for example, the 'Department Head System' that was supposed to launch soon after the actual Doff system hasn't been mentioned by anyone Dev side in a while.)

But, overall, I think the way te F2P conversion was handled, and the length of time between actual mission content has soured some people to the point that all they want to do at this point is bash the game and Cryptic - and nothing Cryptic does will be enough to make then 'happy' again.

And while I myself don't really identify with those that are really into wanting to play the KDF - I DO feel that at this point they deserve and absolutely honest and upfront answer as to the future conten t expansion of their faction, and NOT the contant and very vague:

"We're still disscussing KDF options with PWE..."

Which has been the standard answer un the latest round of interviews. I do agree the HAVE been strung along again with a lot of promises from SD'Angelo, Stormshade (who did say that the "Klingon Content patch" (tm) would be coming and he wouldn't have posted this info if he hadn't been assured by multiple members of teh Dev team; and DStahl himself right after the Cryptic purchase from PWE was announced.

So, at this point, saying:

Comes across to me as:

"Sorry, PWE changed their minds as to PvE expansion of the KDF"

BUT, again, at this point Cryptic needs to just come clean and give a definative answer as to the future of the KDF one way or the other; because to consistently say:

"Yes, we at Cryptic want a full KDF faction, and it's coming..." for 2+ years is just plain ridiculous. I do realize that Cryptic probably WOULD indeed like a full KDF faction, so that part of their statement is honest; but (IMO) they need to just come out and say what they'll be able to deliver with ragard to the KDF and be upfront about it, and STOP saying "A full KDF faction is coming", when everything done up to this point (the most recent being starting LDF players at Level 21) points to this never coming to pass.

[And again, I'm not a big fan of the KDF - even though I do have a Level 50 engineer; but to constantly and consistently string a portion of the STO playerbase for whom this is a very important issue with regard to their enjoyment of STO with consistenly vague answers is just wrong.]
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
I'd say they have a schedule, but I'll also say they're not going to announce anything until VERY near release as one of the things most people felt regarding DStahl's Engineering Reports was that he promised a lot of thing that were 'coming'; but due to various reasons ultimately didn't make it into the game.

Thus I wouldb't be surprised if going forward, Cryptic will be like every other MMO developwer now, and obnly annnouce something new when it's a few days away from going live on the main, or the test server.

The fact people are already screaming 'it's another content drought' a week after a 5 part FE series concluded just underscores the fact that if they announce something that doesn't come to pass; those who just like to bash the game will have a field day.

I too am really dissapoint that the future of FEs is up in the air, as I don't see how something that brings players into the game (and this last one did just that with queues of 1600+ over the weekends they were running) is somehow not a good use of Dev resources; but again, overall actual communication about any new substancial content (and I know Heretic is putting new Doff stuff into the game at a fairly constant pace; but for example, the 'Department Head System' that was supposed to launch soon after the actual Doff system hasn't been mentioned by anyone Dev side in a while.)

But, overall, I think the way te F2P conversion was handled, and the length of time between actual mission content has soured some people to the point that all they want to do at this point is bash the game and Cryptic - and nothing Cryptic does will be enough to make then 'happy' again.

And while I myself don't really identify with those that are really into wanting to play the KDF - I DO feel that at this point they deserve and absolutely honest and upfront answer as to the future conten t expansion of their faction, and NOT the contant and very vague:

Which has been the standard answer un the latest round of interviews. I do agree the HAVE been strung along again with a lot of promises from SD'Angelo, Stormshade (who did say that the "Klingon Content patch" (tm) would be coming and he wouldn't have posted this info if he hadn't been assured by multiple members of teh Dev team; and DStahl himself right after the Cryptic purchase from PWE was announced.

So, at this point, saying:

Comes across to me as:

"Sorry, PWE changed their minds as to PvE expansion of the KDF"

BUT, again, at this point Cryptic needs to just come clean and give a definative answer as to the future of the KDF one way or the other; because to consistently say:

"Yes, we at Cryptic want a full KDF faction, and it's coming..." for 2+ years is just plain ridiculous. I do realize that Cryptic probably WOULD indeed like a full KDF faction, so that part of their statement is honest; but (IMO) they need to just come out and say what they'll be able to deliver with ragard to the KDF and be upfront about it, and STOP saying "A full KDF faction is coming", when everything done up to this point (the most recent being starting LDF players at Level 21) points to this never coming to pass.

[And again, I'm not a big fan of the KDF - even though I do have a Level 50 engineer; but to constantly and consistently string a portion of the STO playerbase for whom this is a very important issue with regard to their enjoyment of STO with consistenly vague answers is just wrong.]
Just buy cstore kdf stuff. That is fun.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
P.S. Kuuyi, how are my tweets not official? Lol
I think it's because Twitter is used inconsistently by Cryptic employees. Some use it as unofficial sneak peaks and some say it is official. It leaves the general populace needing a matrix to determine what is and isn't official on Twitter.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
The problem is with film, not with story but gaming -- and I suspect, Cryptic -- is full of people with an extreme anti-story bias that is unproductive and unhelpful.
Hm... I'm going to say your suspicions are most likely spot on. However if you're quite sure hop the ol' temporal transporter and go back about 9 months... wait it out and then after all that time play The 2800 again.

They may wish to claim otherwise with words... but the actions they are taking seem to say story based content has the lowest priority.
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Just going to leave this here: https://twitter.com/pwe_branflakes/s...57282685022208

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Quote:
*Interesting if not cryptic response*

And here is another quote
*I'll let the history be the judge of that*