Lt. Commander
Hi there... If the title peaked your interest, you are either a new player, or simply interested in what I have to say.

Thing is: After F2P has gone live, I see a rising tendency for people to be blaming you, the new player, and especially the Silver members for everything that goes wrong.

This is mainly because end-game STF's requires a certain level of both team play and experience to be successful.
Sadly however, Cryptic fails at helping... forcing new players to gain true experience by having made leveling faster than ever before.

This is a bad thing, IMO... Don't get me wrong, I see the appeal of quick leveling (my main was leveled inside of 2 weeks on the old system), and since I am not a math guy, I had to spend almost 8 months fine tuning my char and learning the aspects of the game enough to feel comfortable saying that I was a "experienced" player.

I want to see if I can help new players avoid this... embarrassing experience.

My first suggestion is: Take your time.
When you finish a mission, spend some time in a explore sector, collecting samples and doing explore missions.

This will not only slow down your progression significantly, but also allow you to collect samples for leveling research at memory alpha (witch in turn will allow you to get the Aegis set at end game), and Dilithium to allow you to buy new ships and gear for your ships, making said missions easier and, IMO, more fun.

Do daily missions when they become open to you.
Daily missions are a good source of dilithium, and are actually designed in such a way that you can get to know alot of enemies weaknesses.

You will also get loot from allot of missions, which can save you EC and dilithium in the long run. If the gear you get is not good enough, try pushing difficulty up to Elite... Loot drops will drastically increase and allow you to get your ship better equipped, again making missions easier.

Spend time talking and asking
Only by talking, and learning from long-time players will you get all the secrets to make you a successful captain.
If you have a skill or an item that you do not know what is for, or how to best take advantage of it, ask... This game is filled with trekkies... and one thing that defines trekkies: They wan't to help.

If you do not find the answer you are looking for, consider joining a fleet. Fleets are much smaller than the entire community, but generally are more competent than talk about bacon and tribbles in zone chat.

There are some rather prominent fleets out there, and some less prominent... Most very capable of and willing to helping you.

Avoid "impulse purchases":
Dilithium, C-Points, samples and EC are limited resources. Rather than jumping straight to the store and buying that brand new item, let others do the testing. Simply listen to them, and then decide based on their experience if you want that brand new item.

Do Duty Officer assignments
Duty officer assignments are the shortcut to cool gear, without progressing too quickly. Certain mission provides worth while gear that will help you advance easier without leveling each time you complete a mission.

PVP...
Personally I am not a big fan of PvP, but it is a fact that the people who know skills and gear best, is probably the dominating PvP'ers.

So PvP is probably the best place to get advanced input on your build and how to improve it.

Replay missions with lots of the same enemies
To be successful, one must know it's enemy. When you find a mission with lots of... lets say Gorn... Replay that mission a few times, and pay attention to your enemy's behavior and their skills...

This will also become important at End game STF's where you will experience allot of deaths until you understand how the Borg and the maps work.

Replaying in this still will also sometimes grant you accolades. And certain accolades provide passive bonusses for DPS and resist.

... To be expanded...

The general point is always: Take your time. Being slow is sometimes beneficial, and allows you to smell the flowers along the way.

STO is filled with small details that are fun looking for and working on to enhance your overall experience.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Good Thread.
My Friend Deyvid would be perfect for this.....Tour guide for the new player.
He recently has been doing tours of the KDF academy. He even has the little hat and name tag.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-21-2012, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Good Thread.
My Friend Deyvid would be perfect for this.....Tour guide for the new player.
He recently has been doing tours of the KDF academy. He even has the little hat and name tag.
I am working on videos by recording ingame, showing diffrent stuff... but usually I end up being able to use only 2-3 mins of each segment, because I usually get so caught up in the game that I want to tell everything...

You should have seen the OP before I trimmed it for example... I had actually reached the character limit...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-21-2012, 04:50 AM
Very nice.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I am working on videos by recording ingame, showing diffrent stuff... but usually I end up being able to use only 2-3 mins of each segment, because I usually get so caught up in the game that I want to tell everything...

You should have seen the OP before I trimmed it for example... I had actually reached the character limit...
This recetn revive of Guides has made me wonder if the Forums could benefit from a Mini-section just for guides?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-21-2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
This recetn revive of Guides has made me wonder if the Forums could benefit from a Mini-section just for guides?
100% agree...
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-21-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't mean this as a rude comment...but shouldn't this be in The Academy section?

Good post btw
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
I don't mean this as a rude comment...but shouldn't this be in The Academy section?

Good post btw
Actually no... I dont consider this a guide or tutorial...simply my opinion on how new players can enhance their game expirience.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Thank you!

As a new player, it boggles my mind that people want to play and reach 50 in 3 days. How do you enjoy a game if you max your character in 3 days? I prefer the scenic route, I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasa65
Thank you!

As a new player, it boggles my mind that people want to play and reach 50 in 3 days. How do you enjoy a game if you max your character in 3 days? I prefer the scenic route, I guess.
Well, you hear all this stuff about Borg, Maco and Omega gear, and you see all theese iconic ships with cool effects...

What people don't seem to always catch, is the fact that the best players in this game have almost 2 years of expirience, and a equally strong fleet to support their effords...

THAT is what is important... Not C-Store items or other fluff...