Lt. Commander
Hello, I have been playing for about five weeks. I am not a spring chicken, and I need advice about how to make the game more friendly to my left arm and wrist. I spend about four hours per day playing, and the Keys we need to press for basic maneuvers seem to be creating a painful ache in my wrist, to the point that I am wondering if there is a better key sequence or mapping that anyone uses. I have limited knowledge of how to remap, ( it is called remapping when you set the keys to do something else, right ?) so any hints should be accompanied by full instructions. I appreciate any constructive advice.

edit: perhaps I should mention that I use a keyboard and that a controller like the XBox ones is beyond my capabilities. Thanks for looking.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-21-2012, 09:10 AM
I suffer from tendinitis in my right shoulder, and for years have had wrist problems with normal but prolonged typing. The tendinitis is a direct result of poor positioning of my mouse while gaming.

The key that I have found is to not let the keyboard and mouse dictate how you sit. Move them both to a comfortable position. For gaming this may be - it is for me - considerably different than when I'm doing something like typing this. This will take a little experimentation. For gaming, I move my keyboard up a little, and move my mouse (actually a track ball so that I don't have any wrist or shoulder movement) to just below the keyboard on my desk. This puts my arms and hands in a much more comfortable position, much closer to having folded arms than outstretched arms.

Another important thing for me was to realize that pushing my keyboard buttons harder doesn't make my ship turn faster. I have to consciously work to relax and just push the keys, and not puuuuuuuuush the keys. When I first stared playing STO, I found that my fingers that were responsible for turning began hurting quickly. Once I learned to relax - and it takes effort every time I play - that pain disappeared.

I also find that the Microsoft ergonomic split keyboard really helps in both typing and gaming. It allows a much more natural position for my hands and arms.

Finally, there is a thread called "keybinding for dummies" that will show you everything that you need for keybinding. This may be helpful in showing you how to put multiple, related tasks onto single keys, thereby reducing the number of keystrokes you have.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-21-2012, 09:21 AM
The Following links should help you find the optimal setup:
Those are the main ones I always try to refer new keybinders to

If you ever get a Logitech G13 Gameboard and a Razer Naga MMO mouse let me know and i can send ya a copy of my keybinds and profle setup ;p
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Key binds aren't going to solve the problem, they're a temporary solution at best, you've probably been typing the same way for years, so your hands will probably gravitate towards the same positions anyway. CrustyMac is right, instead of changing the keys you should adjust the whole key board. they sell ergonomic keyboards and wrist pads specifically for people with your problem. It might be worthwhile to get one of those and solve your problem for good.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks to all of you. You are probably right. I will try repositioning the keyboard and my ''posture" while playing. I think it may be time to see about a new keyboard, (acquiesce to the ravages of aging ), and I can use the key binding guide in the interim to decrease the key strokes. I may have been trying to force the turning issue on my ship with them.

I appreciate the replies.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Depending on your disposable income, a specific 'gaming' device might also help. I have and can recommend the Logitech G-13. It's ergonomically designed. I use the thumbstick on it for movement, and map the 1-0 keys on the top two rows, things like jump on the third row, and so on.