Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Fire at will.. A power that is supposed to be used to help clear Mines, Pet Spam, and the like.
Tetryon Glider... an effect that is supposed to be useful in killing shields but has the side effect of being unresistable. Making it necessary to use in all PVP situations.
Aceton Assimilators, a Pay to Win Console that is used vs All energy weapon foes.
Theta Radiation... the little cousin to Eject Warp Plasma.. it's use is to drain shields but also can slow people.. another Pay to Win console as well.
Phaser Weapons... The most saught after weapon in the game because each weapon cycle of these weapons has a 2.5% chance, in space, to disable a subsystem.

Now you might be asking "Why are you telling us stuff we already know, Tea?" and the answer is the same that I have seen from time to time on the forums.. They are, in the wrong setting, aka PVP, over powered when used, especiallly En-masse. Half of that list is restricted to KDF only. And yet if it was not the case, you'd practically have the formula for any team of 5 players to, with the right power combination, be nearly unstoppable. It would make games silly. Almost not fun to play because you'd then only need 1 class of ship as well: Cruiser.

Now you might be saying "Well why not escorts?" Because a cruiser is ment to be a tank ship, and if you also have 5 Cruisers, each with Extend shields, circleing each other and throwing heals while mindlessly poping Fire at Will with Phasers. Why bother fly anything other then this combination? Sure an Escort is faster, more maneuverable, and such. But what can an escort do when you have Cruisers doing such things in tandum with each other? Not to mention Science ships.

No ship in this game right now is as powerful as the Cruiser. Sure people can complain about Carrier spam, or BoPs because of their Universal BO slots.. But really what can all those other nifty ships do when faced witih an organized team of Cruisers using any and all abilities to their advantage in concert with each other? Epecially what they can use from the list above.

Then add Sci's for Subnucing, and Tacs for Damage bolstering, or Engis for healers and you can circle all day long killing in your ball of Cruiser death.

Did I have a bad day today? Probobly a little in the PVP Ques. But maybe it's because I remember the good ole days, when nearly any build was viable. When you didn't have to rely on Pay to win consoles, or STF Set bonus tricks to win. When it was just the Powers, and ships, and your own skill that made you a good PVPer.

When did STO become about what you wear, and not who you are in PVP? Sure other games are focused on items, but they are usually 1 part of the equation. STO how ever seems to require all the same items and powers and ship type with little need for Variation. And this is supposed to be fun?

Judging by what gets released to the C-store, instead of released for all to be able to gain, it seems like more of the same is coming. So I ask you.. what should we, the players be doing about it? How should we be playing? And for that matter, why should we put up with it?

As I stare at other games, and even STO I ask my self those questions.. maybe one day I'll be able to give an educated answer to them. Or maybe Cryptic Studios will do that for me. Because as it stands Star Trek Online has once again been turned into Cruisers Online. Or maybe it has all along, and I've just been too blind to see it. And that, is a shame in and of it's self.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
03-21-2012, 11:29 PM
PvP has become all about whos got what and not about skill. PVE on a plate fed to PvPers. Special doffs that enhance yur ships ability, a huge game changer for pvp. Not everyone has the means to aquire them. Special weapons mods, DOFF abilities (including skill bonuses from missions) , P2W consoles should be locked out of pvp. Its fair to PVP and fair to PVE.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-22-2012, 04:25 AM
OK the P2W things can kinda suck, and the grinding sucks, but come on DOFFS add another interesting part I say.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-22-2012, 05:06 AM
PvP in any game always devolves to this level of "must haves to compete" play, even if the "must haves" are so minor as to not be noticeable to the average player.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
03-22-2012, 05:25 AM
First I apologize for my part in last nights shenanigans (though I didn't run faw. Just APB, a target weapons and a tac team) The team we were in would have been -much- better with an escort or a couple of sci. It was just a long slow affair that even we were getting sick of. Especially when the klinks started the old RZR run away and never show back up tactics.

Secondly, the game has -never- been about your skill not really. Even now, it's simply about who brings the most heals and the most sci spam and it has always been that way. The only difference is now you're seeing it with the addition of pay to win consoles on the klink side. The only difference between now and back then, is back then most of the community didn't drift to that direction. Now? peh. Good luck finding any sort of competent team that's not loaded down in sci spam and uber heals.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
03-22-2012, 05:29 AM
We're in a strange place where some abilities and builds clearly dominate all alternatives in competitive PvP, while PUG combat is still fairly open, and everything works in PvE.

We were discussing the other night the rules you would need to stage a 'fair' tournament, and the list got pretty long in a hurry - restrict science, restrict consoles, restrict FAW, etc.

My particular gripe lies with STF gear, but I despise grinding.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
03-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
Fire at will.. A power that is supposed to be used to help clear Mines, Pet Spam, and the like.
Tetryon Glider... an effect that is supposed to be useful in killing shields but has the side effect of being unresistable. Making it necessary to use in all PVP situations.
Aceton Assimilators, a Pay to Win Console that is used vs All energy weapon foes.
Theta Radiation... the little cousin to Eject Warp Plasma.. it's use is to drain shields but also can slow people.. another Pay to Win console as well.
Phaser Weapons... The most saught after weapon in the game because each weapon cycle of these weapons has a 2.5% chance, in space, to disable a subsystem.

Now you might be asking "Why are you telling us stuff we already know, Tea?" and the answer is the same that I have seen from time to time on the forums.. They are, in the wrong setting, aka PVP, over powered when used, especiallly En-masse. Half of that list is restricted to KDF only. And yet if it was not the case, you'd practically have the formula for any team of 5 players to, with the right power combination, be nearly unstoppable. It would make games silly. Almost not fun to play because you'd then only need 1 class of ship as well: Cruiser.

Now you might be saying "Well why not escorts?" Because a cruiser is ment to be a tank ship, and if you also have 5 Cruisers, each with Extend shields, circleing each other and throwing heals while mindlessly poping Fire at Will with Phasers. Why bother fly anything other then this combination? Sure an Escort is faster, more maneuverable, and such. But what can an escort do when you have Cruisers doing such things in tandum with each other? Not to mention Science ships.

No ship in this game right now is as powerful as the Cruiser. Sure people can complain about Carrier spam, or BoPs because of their Universal BO slots.. But really what can all those other nifty ships do when faced witih an organized team of Cruisers using any and all abilities to their advantage in concert with each other? Epecially what they can use from the list above.

Then add Sci's for Subnucing, and Tacs for Damage bolstering, or Engis for healers and you can circle all day long killing in your ball of Cruiser death.

Did I have a bad day today? Probobly a little in the PVP Ques. But maybe it's because I remember the good ole days, when nearly any build was viable. When you didn't have to rely on Pay to win consoles, or STF Set bonus tricks to win. When it was just the Powers, and ships, and your own skill that made you a good PVPer.

When did STO become about what you wear, and not who you are in PVP? Sure other games are focused on items, but they are usually 1 part of the equation. STO how ever seems to require all the same items and powers and ship type with little need for Variation. And this is supposed to be fun?

Judging by what gets released to the C-store, instead of released for all to be able to gain, it seems like more of the same is coming. So I ask you.. what should we, the players be doing about it? How should we be playing? And for that matter, why should we put up with it?

As I stare at other games, and even STO I ask my self those questions.. maybe one day I'll be able to give an educated answer to them. Or maybe Cryptic Studios will do that for me. Because as it stands Star Trek Online has once again been turned into Cruisers Online. Or maybe it has all along, and I've just been too blind to see it. And that, is a shame in and of it's self.
I agree with you 100% tea, i am getting tired of running into these premades running 4 or 5 Cruiser just spaming FAW and p2w its no fun for anyone.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8 Still having fun
03-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon22 View Post
I agree with you 100% tea, i am getting tired of running into these premades running 4 or 5 Cruiser just spaming FAW and p2w its no fun for anyone.
I agree, the faw spam teams are annoying. But overall, I still just don't buy the cruisers online moniker. Shield stripping sci ships and bursty escorts still have a place and I'd place a balanced squad of a healboat cruisers a few or a couple scis and escorts against a FAWking team any day.

However, i'm going to disagree somewhat with the original poster, while I have some issues with the new sets, I don't think the game has become a gear race at least not anymore than it was in the past.

Let's not have rose-tinted glasses about the past. Back in the day everybody ran a 3 piece borg set coupled with the aegis or Cov Cap*3 shield.

I sorta like that the new sets have added variety and a bit more strategic thinking into the mix.

Now folks have to ask themselves does the maco set make more sense for a sci?

Maco Shield versus Aegis?

etc etc.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
03-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Has not Faw already been fixed (at least in discusion by Borticus) so it will no longer hit as accurately?
Would this not destroy the Zombie FAW cruisers capabilities and foster better play over button mashing?

Even in the old days, not every build was viable and the cookie-cutters already existed and where in use among the players.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
03-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Has not Faw already been fixed (at least in discusion by Borticus) so it will no longer hit as accurately?
Would this not destroy the Zombie FAW cruisers capabilities and foster better play over button mashing?

Even in the old days, not every build was viable and the cookie-cutters already existed and where in use among the players.
Agreed Roach. However even if faw is fixed I concede that it won't do away with some 5 man cruiser premades.

5 tanky Odds casting Extends on one another all while focusing on one target with Sensor analysis stacking up will absolutely murder pugs.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:58 AM.