Lt. Commander
# 1 Warning
03-22-2012, 12:32 AM
My fleet and I have recently had trouble with a new member. We recently had lowered the security to allow easier access to the fleet bank for new users to get better equipment or new crafters. However our kindness was quickly taken advantage of. A new member [within days of joining our fleet] completely wiped out our bank. 90% of the equipment was taken out for all ranks, and ALL of the EC was withdrawn by this single person. Mind you there was at the very least 2 mil+ EC.

I don't normally out people for their wrong doings but I feel in a situation like this that it is better for the public to know in advance who to be wary of when recruiting new members for their fleets.

This person is:

Walker@babien

I won't go as far to say DO NOT ADD HIM. But if you do I suggest completely restricting use to the fleet bank until you can determine for yourself if they are trustworthy---in my experience they obviously weren't.

I refuse to sit back while our new struggling fleet members have to suffer because someone was greedy and selfish. I am current VA, I personally don't need EC as much, or the items from the bank, I deposit MANY items and EC [in the millions] to the bank for the new members to get some help. Because of this betrayal we have to become sticklers and extra secure for an extended period of time. Our fleet was once a fun and open group and I feel it has been somewhat tainted.

Hope this warning helps some other fleets out there

Love and Phasers,

Vice Admiral

Pandora Suss
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomaoai8 View Post
My fleet and I have recently had trouble with a new member. We recently had lowered the security to allow easier access to the fleet bank for new users to get better equipment or new crafters. However our kindness was quickly taken advantage of. A new member [within days of joining our fleet] completely wiped out our bank. 90% of the equipment was taken out for all ranks, and ALL of the EC was withdrawn by this single person. Mind you there was at the very least 2 mil+ EC.

I don't normally out people for their wrong doings but I feel in a situation like this that it is better for the public to know in advance who to be wary of when recruiting new members for their fleets.

This person is:

Walker@babien

I won't go as far to say DO NOT ADD HIM. But if you do I suggest completely restricting use to the fleet bank until you can determine for yourself if they are trustworthy---in my experience they obviously weren't.

I refuse to sit back while our new struggling fleet members have to suffer because someone was greedy and selfish. I am current VA, I personally don't need EC as much, or the items from the bank, I deposit MANY items and EC [in the millions] to the bank for the new members to get some help. Because of this betrayal we have to become sticklers and extra secure for an extended period of time. Our fleet was once a fun and open group and I feel it has been somewhat tainted.

Love and Phasers,

Vice Admiral

Pandora Suss
Although such infiltration has a tint of Cardassian, I assure you that no Jevonite took part in such dishonor. As a fleet leader (although very small) if you PM myself a couple names to friend in game, I'll start passing items over to help you rebuild your inventory.

My fleet is to small to actually start a fleet in game (at the moment) and I've sold all extras due to space limit. At least giving items to your fleet would go towards a good cause.

(on a joking note although this issue isn't a joke...i would have held out until a Galor popped up in the bank. )
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Unfortunately prevention is better than cure.

What I do - abolish Fleet Bank access completely. If people want items from me they will have to work for it and prove their captaining skills are deserving of special weapons requisitions.

They can look at the items in the bank. And write a formal Starfleet requisition for it.

As for the 5 minute joiners who demand for purple Mark 12s immediately along with my RL phone number and other stuff, I kick them and ignore them immediately.

I know, a lot of people will be put off by such formality, but very strangely, the bunch of people who contribute to my organizational development have no problems with it. And that is the group of people I work for.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Sad but true
03-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomaoai8 View Post

This person is:

Walker@babien

Love and Phasers,

Vice Admiral

Pandora Suss
Im the Leader/Commander/what-have-you of the Fleet in Question, Joint Task Force - Old Ironsides, and it was my fault. Bank privileges have been revoked except for my two executive officers, which really sucks but I guess its what has to be done. As far as I'm concerned if its a blue or purple item, its going to have to go up the chain to the XOs. Same with anything with a Value of anything over 10,000 ECs. The only thing Im leaving open to anyone that isnt at least Fleet Rank 4 or 5 is the common crafting materials, and they're only going to be open to people with at least a week in the Fleet.

It just sucks because I was trying to establish a very open fleet with a fairly open bank to match, everyone had been contributing to it, but in less than 10 minutes because of one member we lost everything useful. It was very Romulan of him. Inflitrate and decimate. This individual is without Honor at all whatsoever.

In the end though, its my fault and mine alone. I was far too trusting, and far too lenient about recruitment policy. From now on Im going to be having people that I know in the fleet sponsor new people to me and the XOs, so I know who they are. Im just angry at myself for letting everyone down in the security arena. You can guarantee that this will never happen again, though I can imagine it rings very hollow to the people it hurt, that put in alot of items etc.

Being an ex-Soldier, I will tell you that I like the idea of a formal requisition system for items. Crafting data, rare traces, and such aside from Unreplicatable materials which Im keeping locked down as well, probably not, but with actual items yes. I like that idea quite a bit. When I was in the Army everything we drew from the Arms room, Supply Room, and Motorpool while we were in garrison and not deployed had to be in writing, so why not with a Starship and its various parts? And why not Zoidberg? (okay okay sorry, Its been a rough night and Im trying to laugh or else Im just gonna be angry at myself)
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-22-2012, 02:11 AM
I realize this doesn't help you now, but no guild/clan/fleet/whatever should allow new members, especially ones that aren't friends of current members or somehow known by them, full access. It makes it far too easy.

You can easily set up a rank for new folks separate from others so that you can still be open with one another as a guild. Hopefully, the types of players that would loot the bank and split wouldn't stick around long enough under this rank / would be easily identified by you during whatever you feel is the appropriate time period to leave them at said rank.

Heck, you can also set up separate tabs, leaving one accessible for these newer folks while still keeping items out of reach until they move up in rank. Either of these implementations (or both!) would be advisable for you folks or anyone running a fleet/guild/etc.

Plus if new members need to craft and the like and you want to be generous towards them, having them go through established and trusted (poor word here, as it implies every new person is untrustworthy, but it gets the idea across) members may also help get them to know everyone and vice versa.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Noone had or has full access but myself. And I know I sure as hell aint stealing from my Fleet's Bank. Why would I want to? I have much better equipment through STFs and Crafting than the stuff we had. There was just alot of it thats stolen.

He had just enough permissions wise to do a fair amount of damage so I can tell you he's pretty good at security and security penetration testing. I want to know how he got the ECs though, because there has always been a withdrawal limit of like 5000 ECs and that wasnt changed. Yet all of em are gone.

I actually had believed, and I'm still almost 80% certain the more I think about it that permissions had been set to keep the lower ranks out nearly completely until they hit the third rank.

Then again, I was having a serious family emergency at the time at wasn't exactly in there except to kill stuff to take my mind off what was going on, so it may have simply been me screwing up. I'm not sure because of all the insanity that was going on with me IRL at the time. I don't know. I wish I did, but I really don't.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-22-2012, 02:30 AM
I am sorry they did this to you and I hope you recover quickly. This happened recently to the fleet I belong to's bank by a long standing and cherished member. Come to find out his account had been hacked and the hacker not the member was responsible. It also happened to another fleet I belonged to right after launch which was a long time before the hacker scare. Then the person in question took everything and up and left the fleet. I can empathize with the amount of effort and trust on the part of your fleet that players actions violated. It is sad and I hope you recover quickly.

That said and as a four time member of the Infraction Club who has been banned for life from the forums in the past...

OP please edit the name of your perpetrator out of your post, (and those who quoted Pandora could help by editing the perpetrator's name out of your quote as well). It is against the TOS to publicly shame other players on the forums. I can't speak for zone chat though. I have given out the occasional warning in major social zones. Just be careful as if you do it too often and enough other players in those social zones could report you for spam and get you silenced. By the bye and bye, if you quote me be kind and please remove the part I stashed in black.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-22-2012, 10:44 AM
This is SO sad that people go out there and do such things. You invite people into your fleet (your home) and they do something like this.

Just want to warn you that this thread will be shut down if you "name names" and this warning will be lost. It is against "Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies"

Hopefully everyone has seen the name by now but now that STO is free to play that person can log on with another account, join a fleet and do the same thing. This is better as a generic warning to keep your guard up and have safety procedures in place. Please delete the name and offer to PM the name to people that ask. I donít think there is a policy on that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Given that our fleet at one time went through such travesty a couple of years ago, I feel you pain. Of course you could take tighter measures on fleet bank access to newer members.