Lt. Commander
# 1 STO Server Question.
03-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Not a big forum junkie and was wondering?

Does Cryptic have these kind of days when the servers crash?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...12-580-1-1.jpg

Lt. Commander
# 2
03-22-2012, 09:28 AM
I seriously doubt their servers are laid out that badly.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmugato View Post
Not a big forum junkie and was wondering?

Does Cryptic have these kind of days when the servers crash?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...12-580-1-1.jpg

I's say it's more something like this (link)
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo80 View Post
I seriously doubt their servers are laid out that badly.
Yeah, it takes a long time to build up that sort of wiring mess. I've seen close, and it was the result of a hosting center that hadn't been completely overhauled since 1992 and was cluttered with legacy hardware, incremental upgrades, obsolete servers gutted and stuffed with NICs to serve as unix based routers, zero documentation, and two decades of being staffed by interns and underpaid college students. Cryptic just hasn't existed long enough for things to get to that point.

On a more serious note: Most of their server crashes have to do with a database software fault, not hardware issues.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Yeah, it takes a long time to build up that sort of wiring mess. I've seen close, and it was the result of a hosting center that hadn't been completely overhauled since 1992 and was cluttered with legacy hardware, incremental upgrades, obsolete servers gutted and stuffed with NICs to serve as unix based routers, zero documentation, and two decades of being staffed by interns and underpaid college students. Cryptic just hasn't existed long enough for things to get to that point.

On a more serious note: Most of their server crashes have to do with a database software fault, not hardware issues.
Worst I ever saw was a closet that had small 10 port 3Com swithes sitting on top of a CISCO core swith that failed an the customer didn't have the funds to replace it - hense the two 10 port hubs were each using a single port on the second working CISO switch.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-22-2012, 12:06 PM
I'd guess Cryptic has more than one "server room", for lack of a better term of a room that houses servers. If any one of their rooms were to get that bad, they could take the entire room offline to de-tangle.