Lt. Commander
# 41
03-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
I have to say that I did generally like the dialogue. Although there were a few scenes that felt off, such as the part during the mission briefing where the vulcan gets confused by an idiom.
I can see your point however I generally liked the humor of the situations and it seems to be fairly popular amoung most of the folks I've received feedback from. For me I like a little humor to break up the tension from time to time. It reminds me of the TOS and TNG shows. At least that is my goal.

Thanks for the feedback. It is always appreciated.
Brian
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Dialogue criticism aside, I thought the concept and execution of the mission was good.
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Dialogue criticism aside, I thought the concept and execution of the mission was good.
Thanks for the feedback and the compliment. I appreciate your effort in playing and taking the time to provide me with your feedback.

Brian
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-16-2012, 05:24 PM
As reviewed on Starbase UGC

Mission Title: Contamination
Author: Evil70th
Project ID: ST-HOM98JB5K
Allegiance: Federation
Level: 16+
Description: The Federation Science Directorate has a rogue scientist on its hands. Doctor Klausen, of the Gavin IV Anthropological Study, has decided to interfere in the pre-warp culture on the planet and must be stopped. Admiral Quinn has recommended you to help Doctor Joanne Marbles, Director of Anthropology, Federation Science Directorate, in resolving this incident. Will you help the Federation?

Authors Notes: There is some task based ground combat and a lot of optional ground combat on some of the maps. The optional combat is not recommended as it will add time to the overall length of the mission.

Estimated length:
60 - 90 minutes with full dialog.
30 - 45 with "Skip Dialog" option.
Lt. Commander
# 45 Mission Reviews
03-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Here are a few reviews given within STO.

Myoplexxxxxxxx
Good Trek mission. Saw review on starbaseugc and had to try it. I love true Trek missions, brings you back to days of Kirk and Spock. Good Job

Maziken
Great job! Very good diplomatic-style mission and very true to the Trek-feel of how contact with pre-warp civilizations could go awry. Thanks for authoring!

Bazag
Good episode! really enjoyed the show.

Thanks for the reviews folks. More to come.
Brian
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-22-2012, 09:18 PM
I was just thinking about this when I saw thia again and remembered what it was that bugged me so much about the idiom scene. The char I played the mission with was a Mirror Universe Vorta. She would likely have as little comprehension of human idioms as a Vulcan does.
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Quote:
I was just thinking about this when I saw thia again and remembered what it was that bugged me so much about the idiom scene. The char I played the mission with was a Mirror Universe Vorta. She would likely have as little comprehension of human idioms as a Vulcan does.
Perhaps, but then again so would most Vulcan players as well. It is difficult to write a mission that isn't going to have some element that a players race wouldn't understand or say. The hope of any author I think is that the players enjoy the mission as best they can. That is my hope for this mission.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
Brian
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Yeah, now that I think about it, I make a point of avoiding certain types of dialogue for this reason. It feels kinda weird having the story talk for you and say things you wouldn't.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Yeah, now that I think about it, I make a point of avoiding certain types of dialogue for this reason. It feels kinda weird having the story talk for you and say things you wouldn't.
I look at it exactly the opposite. I feel, as the author, it is my job to immerse the player in the story to make them feel they are a part of it. With that in mind I make a point of including my combination of wit, sarcasm and fly by the seat of the pants feeling to help draw the player into the story. To make it feel as if they are a part of a story and not just reading it. Every author has their own way of telling a story and that is my style of writing. If I get a lower score because I failed to address a situation exactly as an individual player thinks their character would I will lose no sleep over it.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and ideas on how I can make my work better. It is appreciated.
Brian
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Paradoxically, I find that I identify less with the story when I have to read pages of "my" dialogue. Your dialogue is quite well written. It's that it disrupts the feeling that I'm in the story by causing me to go "hey that's not what I'd do!"

Hmm... suppose branching dialogue paths with differing personalities to the dialogue would make it feel more real, but I know how time consuming it can be to do 1 Dialogue chain. I can't imagine actually writing 3-4...