Lt. Commander
# 131
03-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb2008 View Post
Join date: Aug 2008. I've been tracking this game for a long time and I'm a launch account from day 1. Yes. I've been here from the start too. Been on and off because of their actions in development; it's almost like they take 1 step forward and 3 steps backward with their decision making.
I too, would like to hear what steps They have taken that were backward...

And remember that what you describe, will most likely be very subjective based on your personal biasis...

Anyway...,
My point was that recently, the perception of forward momentum for the first three months of 2012...,

Has been substantially greater than ALL of 2011.

Yes there's a bit of hyperbole in that statement, but I was taking some literary license to get my point across.

And I was in no way indicating that your presence was less than anyone elses...

...though you did admit yourself, that you came and went when things weren't going the way you preferred.

I on the other hand, have played the game on almost a daily basis, since it's launch.
Lt. Commander
# 132
03-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Just so we're all clear here, what steps did they take backwards with the new Doff interior missions?
No, forget the doff interior additions, I'm talking game-wide. The doff interior missions are just ok. They need to stop, look back, and re assess some problems with the game.

This is going to get some short term added value and interest, then people will probably go back to using the doff interface. Something that has staying power is fixing major issues that are going on a year and more.

I'm not going to itemize everything.
Lt. Commander
# 133
03-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Yes, if you see a particularly good assignment from one of your ship interior officers, you can invite someone to your ship interior to pick these up.

The Dabo Bridges were in fact the genesis of this feature. The Dabo Bridges were a bug, and one we had to fix, but after we did, it was unfortunate to see the drop in socialization and use of ship interiors from them, so I started talking to people to see what we could put together to fill the same role.
I am a bit concerned about this. Because when you fixed the dabo bridges another 'feature' snuck in which was annoying me everytime I whitnessed it. Going to my bridge to share some assignments per bridge invite to another char who is on the other side of the galaxy just to get assignments from a wrong zone.

I have a pretty good idea why it was happening (assignments were 'copied' from an already active bridge instance in that zone) and I must admit it did not happen very often (because of the lesser popularity of bridges then) but here is the catch:

This might get really annoying soon if people want to check for a specific sector assignment on their interior. Even worse if the seed that creates your personalized assignments is shared too.

Worst possible scenario: Player A checks his standard bridge interior in Alpha Centauri. During the 5 minutes it takes the instance to die after he leaves it he travels through Sirius. Another half dozen players go to their standard bridge interior while Player A travels and become contagious with the Alpha Centauri assignments. The half dozen players with the 'bad' assignments in sirius will spread it even further.

I know you can minimize the risk of that by choosing a more exotic bridge but that is just meeh.
Lt. Commander
# 134
03-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb2008 View Post
I'm not going to itemize everything.
I'm not asking you to itemize everything, simply for a few examples.
Lt. Commander
# 135
03-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Some are actually arguing that it breaks their immersion for the Captain to have to personally speak with every officer, as that is not how a ship works. While I'm not saying it bothers me personally, your post shows a very poor understanding of the discussion taking place.
it's called rounds....didn't you watch the shows? no captain would sit in his/her ready room and mamange the entire ship. They would do rounds. the only break here is that officers would try and cach the captain as he ws doing his rounds to speciifc zones for that day to update him/her on whatever they were working on.

No captain goes to the ready room to the bridge to his quarters and that's it. They inspect their ship and interact with the crew to insure everything is working at 100% efficiency.

Ready rooms were left for logs, private communications, private meetings and private discussions.

no star trek capatin used it as a duty assignment room. That would break the privacy of its use.
Lt. Commander
# 136
03-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurt21
it's called rounds....didn't you watch the shows?
If you go back and read the post I was replying to, the person was saying that the people who did not like this new system were simply lazy. I was explaining that some people feel that it does not make sense for their Captain to be personally visiting these officers to schedule assignments. I never said I agreed with that logic, simply that some people believe that and that has nothing to do with them being lazy.
Lt. Commander
# 137
03-23-2012, 04:35 AM
Question!!!

Will interiors be expanded on the specialty ships such as the Galor and Jem'Hadar Attack Ship so that players with these ships can take full advantage of this?
Lt. Commander
# 138
03-23-2012, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiFan_78 View Post
Question!!!

Will interiors be expanded on the specialty ships such as the Galor and Jem'Hadar Attack Ship so that players with these ships can take full advantage of this?
They're adding a console to the bridge, apparently.
Lt. Commander
# 139
03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Yesterday we had a number of discussions, both technical and design-intent.

We will be building buttons on the department head part of the duty officer UI that will allow you to access the random assignments on your ship interior as if you were talking to the Science Officer, Operations Officer, etc.

Some caveats to this:
  • Static assignments will not be accessible via this. If you want to do the third and fourth steps of "Children's Toys", order a hypo, schedule a Counselor session or order a drink, you will need to go into your ship interior.
  • Other people who want to access your ship interior assignments will have to go to your ship interior (meaning, of course, you will have to go into your ship interior and invite them if you are feeling nice).
  • The ship interior assignments are - at least for now - going to stay on a 20h reset.
  • Filtering still happens at a map level, meaning as you move sectors, even though the reset hasn't happened, occasionally some assignments may appear and disappear.

There is a lot of macro design thinking behind this, and we'll have to see how people use this normatively in the wild, and adjust as necessary. I think this will accomplish most of the goals and minimize the irritation while still rewarding socialization.
Lt. Commander
# 140
03-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Thank you, Heretic. That sounds like an excellent compromise.