Lt. Commander
# 1 New Mining Event - How To
03-23-2012, 12:28 PM
I thought i would put this together given how many times i saw the phrase "Wheres the Laser" in zone chat. Think that might be the new "Wheres Sulu"

*****Video Tutorial*****

First and foremost you must accept the mission. If you dont and just Transwarp to the location and pick up your suit you may not be able to mine. To accept the mission click your FED or KDF icon near mini map. To begin with you will be on the "Overview" tab that displays events where you can accept the mission from the events calendar or click "Available" tab at the top find the mission "Asteroid Mining" and accept.

Second the asteroid field is in the Beta Ursae sector not in the Bajor system. You can find it on the Beta Ursae sector map to the lower left of DS9. Once at the asteroid base get your suit (if you didnt get one from the Dominion Series) from the ferengi.Make sure to equip it either by Double Click or by slotting in your armour slot. Then you will have new options in your powers tray one of which is a suit. Click it.

Third go to a door and look in the middle right of the screen for the "exit airlock" once outside look at your mini map you should have 5 (Cpt Picard. There are four lights he he he) dotted circles. Find purple crystals in these areas and a mine button will appear.

Finally mining itself. The mini game shows a dilithium vein (pink stream) in rock with a red triangle over it. There is a pinkish triangle that you must match to the outer edge of the red triangle. (using left, right, up and down keys) When you do this 3 lasers will appear in the red triangle. This indicates you are mining. At the top left of the mini game a little progress bar will start to fill and you will get points. The triangle will move location though and you have to reaquire your lock.

You can practise this using the console inside the airlock near the dilithium crystals

Notes:
You dont get a laser in your inventory or at all its in built to the EVA suit

It was my best practise to mine in only one location in each circle

The amount of points you get when drilling is related to your overall score so...

0-25 points = +5 points at a time
25-150 points = +15 points at a time
150-250 points = +20 points at a time
250-400 points = +25 points at a time
400-500 points = +30 points at a time
500-700 points = +35 points at a time
700+ = +40 points at a time.

There may be more but i didn't get any higher and this is only a rough guide from when i was mining may not be exact

I did this and managed to mine perfectly with no bugs, or anything. This is for those unsure on mining.

This is a social map so when not mining you can come jump around or walk the grand asteroid canyon

To those who got the 4/5 and cant mine... I feel for you peeps
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-23-2012, 12:51 PM
So where's Sul.... the laser again? :p

joking. Ty for the post as I have not tried this new mission yet.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-23-2012, 12:53 PM
The problem is if you Hail from the calendar it doesn't give you the mission, but the calendar says it's In Progress.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-23-2012, 12:54 PM
uryenserellont - thats the mining event in the Overview tab you need to be on the Available tab. In the available tab you get the mining mission not the event
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-23-2012, 01:02 PM
I wanted to thank you greatly for this "how to" guide. I transwarped to the event, but couldn't mine anything at first...I thought maybe that they were all mined out.

Then I saw that I was actually supposed to accept the mission before starting...that made it much easier! lol

So, again, thank you very much!
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Your welcome TOSlover..... love the avatar
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-23-2012, 02:29 PM
I've stickied this and have also made a tinyurl (http://tinyurl.com/STOMining) so you can give it out to any players in Zone chat that need a quick link

Thanks for making it!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Thankyou!!!! giving that long link was awful
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-23-2012, 02:37 PM
More than once I would scan a node and get absolutely nothing nor count for the 5 node total (once with an 815 score) but the node would stay active. One node I scanned 3 times in a row before it counted.

Is this by design or a bug?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-23-2012, 02:43 PM
There is a known issue with some of the miners getting only 4/5 mining slots even though they mined 5. This has been reported by PWE_BranFlakes to the QA team

Personally i think it might happen if you mined twice in one circle but thats just a thought