Lt. Commander
# 31
03-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachatar
Damn, those people at FIFA are such elitist *******s that they don't let me play in the world cup. I mean I didn't really bother to read the rules of soccer, but I played once or twice in school, and after all, we should all just have fun, right? Who the hell are they to dictate who should be allowed to play with other professional players?
They're the guys with the vuvuzelas trying to have a classy 'zela concert whilst everyone else is interrupting them with a crappy football game.
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-18-2012, 10:37 AM
So,I've done my fair share of Normals and think I have them down with completeing the optional if everyone else in team knows what they are doing.I have tried a few Elites,usually w/o getting the optional just because of the difficulty.I've slowly been working my toons up to the proper gear needed to handle most STF's.Yesterday I went into Cure Space Elite thinking it was the same routine as the Normal version and I was the 1st to destroy one of the cubes on the far right w/o realizing that each one had to be wore down to only 10% or so.Needles to say the mission failed and the one guy barking orders had directed the failure towards me saying "go back to Normal until I learned what to do",I realized after leaving map was directed at me because of what I did.Now,while I fealt at the time yesterday that this was harsh and took it personal,afterwards I did feel he/she was right in the sense that people should at least communicate right off the bat if they do not know what is the proper way to go about the mission.We all learn from our mistakes.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Wow... The OP... thats... Well...

I am pretty sure if I tell my honest opinion on this, I will get a infraction...

But based on your forum account date, I doubt you are even remotely qualified to tell people who can, and who can't join a STF...
that pretty much sums it up
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Actually, despite the backlash in this thread, I think the OP is completely spot on, and in fact missing one; the issue is that it is perhaps poorly worded. Rewording, it boils down to very simple concepts that honestly no one should object to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00ch
Do I know how to complete the mission in the most hazard-free method, ex: correct order of target destruction?
-Do I know what I'm doing (strategy/tactics)?
This is simple and shouldn't really offend anyone. Elite STFs often require additional tactics and have heavier difficulty. Having a very base comprehension of the mechanics is a very simple and viable request.

Quote:
Have I beat this mission 20 times in a row on normal mode without dying?
-Do I know what I'm doing (familiarity/experience)?
Almost the same as above, but this one was probably worded worse because of the numerical aspect implanted. At it's core though, same concept. If I'm going to rebuild a car engine- to make an analogy- it certainly would help if I've read a book or two on it or seen it done. But it helps my success even more if I've rebuilt several engines in the past, because that way I not only know the abstracts, but I've seen it in practice and know how it applies to me. STFs are the same way.

Quote:
Is my ship equiped with at least Mk XI rares?
-Can I pull my weight? Do I have the hear needed to be able to overcome the additional challenge?
Again, poorly worded because of specifics, but the base concept is "are you prepared?" Admittedly some people will be able to excel with Mark X gear just because of skill and knowledge, but the point was really that there is a certain level of either dps or defense needed to be able to surmount the challenges of elite STFs, and being sure you are prepared for something before you go in seems pretty much common sense.

Quote:
Do I understand that other people on the team will depend on my performance?
-Am I willing to be part of a team?
There is a lot of this game that is single player accessible. STFs are not. They require teams, and people willing to work together on teams. And as crass as it may sound, it's just fact: if you aren't willing to work as a team, why are you taking part in the aspect of the game designed solely for teams? Your team will depend on you just as you will depend on them; this isn't a bad thing! Afterall, it would be a RPG instead of a MMORPG if it weren't for the other players

Quote:
Do I understand that my actions could cause irreversible failure of the mission?
-Am I willing to be responsible for myself, and my role in the team?
It's that simple. Are you willing to accept that you can screw up? That sometimes it's not everyone else's fault? There's a bit where you have to overcome your own ego and be willing to play your part: that falls again to being part of a team. If you are never wrong and could never fail on your own, then it wouldn't be a team challenge and it would just be more single player content.

And the one I'd add:
-Are you willing to listen and learn?
While it seems simple, this one ties everything before it together. If you don't have the experience or know the tactics, you won't ever get them if you're not willing to try. Pay attention to the team. Even failures can be good if you learn what went wrong and how to prevent them. In fact, I've seen more outright failures (not just talking optionals here, but either teams dropping or mission failures) from people being completely unwilling to listen to their team.

It's why if you looked in chat logs for Cure Space Elites, you'd invariably find "please don't kill the cube yet." and "please stop attacking the cube" advise being ignored. It's why in failed KA Spaces you'd see "don't bring the gate down yet", followed shortly by "omg, why'd you kill the gate already? Or seeing "We need to spread apart for the boss" on Cure Ground. Or "We need to activate all 3 at the same time to drop the shield" for Infected Ground. It's not because people are just being abstractly bossy or jerks: These are things that are either the objective themselves, or directly affect the difficulty and the success of the mission, and these people know it. Being unwilling to work with the team again begs the question: why are you participating in team functions? There's plenty of single player content that can be enjoyed if you don't want to play a team game, and doing so doesn't negatively affect 4 other people.
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decronia
OP do you know how to set up a private group? If the answer is no then you should not be in an elite STF.

It's pillocks like you that have made me decide to stay away from STfs, normal let alone elite. As such I do not know if I will ejoy them or be any good at them. Do you realise how many good people you and others like you may have scared off? PuGs are and always will be a mixed affair, don't like that fact don't PuG.
What a load of nonsense. "Good" players being "scared off" by the OPs statements clearly aren't good players to begin with, let alone secure in their ability to play the game. End result being you shouldn't be in the most difficult of content until you have a firm grasp of the basics and are comfortable in NORMAL mode, which is what the OP clearly is trying to illustrate.

If anyone is a pilloc, it's most certainly people like you whom takes offense to what should be the simplest of Gateway mechanics prior to Elite mission access.

The normal PUG queue is already littered with incompetence, sheer ignorance and disrespect for other players. The community can't police it self without a means to segregate and or punish the unacceptable bad behavior and greed displayed.

Just because the system is setup as a "PUG" shouldn't mean it should conform to chaos standards. The PvE queues clearly could benefit from some pseudo ELO matching system based on players performance and how well they are rated by others, with safeguards to prevent abuse.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-23-2012, 07:58 AM
It's an elitist attitude?

Folks. It SAYS ELITE RIGHT ON THE MISSION.

If that's not a sign that you should really have a grasp of what you're doing, I don't know how much clearer it could be.

And it's a group activity, where your actions affect the rewards and enjoyment of others. Is it really obnoxious to suggest that maybe you should have the decency to know what you are doing when joining a group?
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Original Poster,

Are you trying to give me an order and command how I play a game that I pre-ordered for with my own hard earned money way back during closed beta?
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
The worst kind of player i have meet so far in elite STF:

People who think they know all, and expect everyone else to be the same, then when someone does something wrong he goes emo doesnt shot stuff just objects that dont shot back or leaves the STF totaly.
I may not be the perfect STF elite player, but when im told something by someone more experienced i folow it. Even if i found it stupid. But when this more experienced player does stuff like that i kinda feel like doing exectly againts him just for annoying him more.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-23-2012, 09:08 AM
i typically wait until the mistake is made before i drive any point home, alot of people do think they know it all, some really do but the majority dont realize there is another aspect missing, being adaptable. more often then not, even the most communicative team has trouble because they are too ridged to go and help elsewhere and make the job easier, because the team leader said to get back into position when really its not that bigger deal to help out and get back, especially since you know the respawn cycles and your own skills... thats another part of the ridged inflexibility within the team leaders decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingash
-Do I know what I'm doing (strategy/tactics)?

-Do I know what I'm doing (familiarity/experience)?

-Can I pull my weight?

-Am I willing to be part of a team?

-Am I willing to be responsible for myself, and my role in the team?

-Are you willing to listen and learn?
1. i do know what i am doing, done stfs for over a year, and i know the my own limitations and that of the AI.
2. yep, can do but sometimes outright force and firepower is not the answer when an easier alternative can be found.
3. that depends on the others on if they are willing. otherwise i try to make sure no one goes down and get the optionals done where ever possible.
4. same as 3.
5. you learn something new everyday, thats a given. listening would require a headset, more like read and learn.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-23-2012, 01:27 PM
I agree with the original poster. Elite is for those who know what they're doing and are outfitted for it.

I copy paste the usual instructions on how to do the STF into chat at the beginning of the instance. The second someone messes it up, I just cloak and sit afk until the mission is done or someone leaves so I can try again without having to deal with the penalty.

I'm quite frankly sick and tired of having my time wasted by idiots who can neither play properly or read.