Lt. Commander
# 21
03-23-2012, 03:14 PM
I'd certainly buy a music pack on the cstore if it helped support licencing fees. Music has been a key part of trek. And its a key part of whats missing still with STO imo.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboysw View Post
Music is related to our emotions and memories and i have never gotten goosebumps while playing STO.

They should have had the Enterprise reveal music when the Enterprise-F comes in in Boldly They Rode.

Like from this clip at about 1 minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXy_D...youtu.be&t=50s

or this at 2:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8pQm...eature=related

That is just one example of where they lack music.
I wasn't really a fan of the JJTrek soundtrack, so not really feeling the first one.

But the second one does something for me. I fully expected to hear that music during "Boldly..." when they revealed the Big F, but alas, the opportunity was missed.

In the same vein, I've always felt we should hear this music, along with a cutscene, when we get a new ship in game: (play from 3:00 mark)

The Enterprise Refit
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Carmichael View Post
I wasn't really a fan of the JJTrek soundtrack, so not really feeling the first one.

But the second one does something for me. I fully expected to hear that music during "Boldly..." when they revealed the Big F, but alas, the opportunity was missed.

In the same vein, I've always felt we should hear this music, along with a cutscene, when we get a new ship in game: (play from 3:00 mark)

The Enterprise Refit
That would be awesome. They had that little cutscene during the 2 year anniversary event with the Oddessy. They could have that and just change the ship model and play that classic music from TMP.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrilon View Post
I agree that the addition of more iconic music would be awesome

The TOS arena music used in Colleseum is awesome - unfortunately we only get to hear it during that one mission. I'm fully in support of the addition of more music!
Funny story: even before I heard the music during that mission, I wondered, "Hey, wouldn't it be really cool if they added the *fighting music* from TOS... I'm in an arena and have to fight some monsters and stuff..." and then there it was!
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboysw View Post
That would be awesome. They had that little cutscene during the 2 year anniversary event with the Oddessy. They could have that and just change the ship model and play that classic music from TMP.
From what we have seen in canon, it is supposedly a huge moment when a Captain recieves their first command, or a new ship, and this music conveys the emotion tied to that.

But is this really a larger issue within the game, in that, our ships are NOT special, and we seem to toss them away with impunity, rather quickly, for most of our "careers"? It's like our ship is nothing more than a piece of armor that gets scrapped as soon as a better piece is found or made available.

Simply put, this game fails in establishing the importance of our ships, and making them important to us in the same manner that the ship was important to Kirk, or later on, to Sisko (when he lost the Defiant).

However, adding a cutscene and music, isn't likely to fix this issue, when you gain a new ship every few hours, and your previous ship becomes quickly forgotten.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Ya the cutscene things is more of a dream feature. But getting back on topic, more Trek-like music is something that is important to the whole game, from level 1-50.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-23-2012, 05:02 PM
If it's possible, I'd support it, but I have a suspicion that the fee might be too high. I'd back things like the TNG theme, or a few of the "tense situation" cuts from the movies.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Problem is, they'd need an indefinite license. Allegedly, they looked into them and they're way out of budget, at least for the music by famous composers.

My thing is, a couple hundred dollars spent in a royalty free library would yieldhours of more Trek-like music and in particular more sentimental out of combat music which is a must for the Trek experience.

Currently, they only have one track that doesn't sound like battle music and two out of combat tracks in the whole game... and the battle music all sounds very opera or puzzler.

I would be happier with cheaper Goldsmith/Horner/McCarthy-like scores.

I decided to license music for a Foundry trailer once.

http://youtu.be/ymjS2kLyJ74

The music here (aside from the Trek opening and the mission completion music) cost $5 total to license and consists of two tracks I mixed together. And the licenses were good for any project size. Cryptic could license these tracks for $5 total.
You're assuming the license fee for a private individual using the track for non-profit is the same price that a corporate entity would pay to use these tracks in a mass-produced for-profit product.

I'd bet that assumption isn't correct.

Not that I wouldn't love the orchestrated music from the movies in STO, I'm just sayin' it would probably cost Cryptic more than a pittance.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon760 View Post
Perhaps the most recognizable thing about Star Trek is missing: the music. I can't remember if I've ever heard the Original Series theme song or the Next Generation orchestral intro, if at all. If no one know anything about Star Trek, they'll recognize the music instantly. It is something that is catchy. I frankly have turned off the in game music, the pounding klingon drum beat that masks itself as a theme. I don't see why the Star Trek themes are not in this game.
Since the original composer and writer of the tracks is 6 foot under, i cant see STO ever getting the rights to the star trek themes. if you want to listen to themes, turn the music off, get youtube up and put this on.