Lt. Commander
I am running STO on Windows XP Home 32-bit. All of my drivers are up to date, the game runs fine.

However, when I start it up and go to the character selection screen it automatically pops up the Delete Character window. When I close the window it pops up again, I have to close it and them choose my character really quickly before it pops up again.

This same thing happens when I go to the options menu, except it pops up the Reset to Default options dialog box.

As a possibly related but possibly not issue: whatever ability I have programmed for 2 in the hotbar autoattacks when I have a target in space combat/ I am in combat mode while on the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-18-2012, 06:27 PM
assuming you do not have a stuck key . I have seen this happen when there is another imput device connected to the usb ports(like gamepad)
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusMD
assuming you do not have a stuck key . I have seen this happen when there is another imput device connected to the usb ports(like gamepad)
Nope, I have no stuck keys. I am using a laptop, the only input devices are the touchpad and a USB wireless mouse.

I deactivated the touchpad but it didn't fix the issue, and I don't have any idea what could be causing interference if that is the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Well that's a weird one...

Just to be sure, you might try unplugging the wireless mouse to make sure it isn't the culprit.

If that's no joy (and you have a USB keyboard you can use temporarily) then you might try going into the Device Manager and disable the laptop's keyboard. Log into the game using the USB keyboard to see if it does the same thing (just to absolutely rule out your lappy's keyboard as the culprit).

Does the problem occur both with *and* without your charger plugged in? Have you recently had to replace your laptop charger? If so, is it an original manufacturer's charger or an aftermarket knockoff? Sometimes the knockoffs have power frequency issues and can cause some very strange results. If you haven't yet you might try to run the game w/o the charger plugged into your lappy.

I know none of this will neccessarily fix the issue, but maybe it will help you hunt down the problem.

Good luck
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkillerjayne
Well that's a weird one...

Just to be sure, you might try unplugging the wireless mouse to make sure it isn't the culprit.

If that's no joy (and you have a USB keyboard you can use temporarily) then you might try going into the Device Manager and disable the laptop's keyboard. Log into the game using the USB keyboard to see if it does the same thing (just to absolutely rule out your lappy's keyboard as the culprit).

Does the problem occur both with *and* without your charger plugged in? Have you recently had to replace your laptop charger? If so, is it an original manufacturer's charger or an aftermarket knockoff? Sometimes the knockoffs have power frequency issues and can cause some very strange results. If you haven't yet you might try to run the game w/o the charger plugged into your lappy.

I know none of this will neccessarily fix the issue, but maybe it will help you hunt down the problem.

Good luck
Unplugged the mouse: Thankfully no luck. I say thankfully because I really don't want to play with just the touchpad.

Unfortunately I do not have a USB keyboard so I am unable to disable the keyboard to see if it is the culprit. The option literally isn't there as it is the only input device of that type.

As for the charger, I just tested it and the problem does occur both with it plugged in and unplugged. In fact I recently did have to replace the charger and it is an aftermarket knockoff but it doesn't seem to be causing any issues, at least with this.

I'm happy people are trying to help, I'm dumbfounded by this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-23-2012, 05:19 PM
bump. Having the exact same problem. Using a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop with Windows 7.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domandred
bump. Having the exact same problem. Using a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop with Windows 7.
I'm also on a Dell Inspiron 1501. If this is an issue with the laptop model I'm going to be very grumpy.