Lt. Commander
# 11
03-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Nice questions and answers. Thank you
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Another interesting edition of Ask Cryptic. Thanks!

They're always too short though! We offer pages of questions and only see barely a handful answered each time, so some really interesting or "hot topic" questions get skipped over. Oh well, we still appreciate each answer and the time taken to answer them.

I was a little confused or unclear on the answer about the non-organic life forms...

Quote:
Definitely in the game there will be non-organic life-forms; androids, rock people, Tholians, and so on. In character creation that goes right back to the previous question. You can create a character who looks like an android, or call yourself a hologram, and give that character abilities and traits in keeping with that choice. For example, if you’re an android, you may be able to choose radiation resistance as a characteristic. Additionally, you’ll be able to add bridge officers to your staff who may be androids or holograms, or something new, and they would have special abilities appropriate for them.However, you won’t be able to look like a Tholian; you’ll have to choose a bipedal humanoid.
THE PART I UNDERSTAND: So we won't officially be able to be an android, but we use the custom character creator to make ourselves look like what we think an android should look like, and give ourselves the traits and bonuses we think an android should have, and then while playing we tell people "Hey look! I'm an android" even though technically we are a "customized alien race".

THE PART I DID NOT UNDERSTAND: When we add bridge officers who may be androids or holograms, will they "officially" be real androids and holograms, or will they also be the "make-shift" androids we create with the custom alien creator?

Also the last question didn't address the part of the question about naming our custom races. If I create a custom alien character, do I get to give that new race a name along with the personal name of that individual character? In the case of the Cryptonians (with a C!), is that something that would be recorded in the character's bio or stats -- so that when a player is inspected it would say something like "Race: Cryptonians (with a C!)" or do we just enter a name for that one character and just have to tell people what the name of our race is supposed to be?
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Thank you!! Yeah Tholians are in!!!
Lt. Commander
# 14 also the "bad guys" ?
03-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
Welcome to the 9th volume of Star Trek Online's Ask Cryptic! In this volume, we talk about Character Customization. Will there be unique races? Will there be limitations? You're going to have to read more to find out!
do you get to be "the bad guys" like the borg or not ???
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-12-2009, 05:53 PM
At this point, No. I found it interesting that you can be a Hologram though. That would mean that opposing forces would have to damage your emitter to hurt/disable you.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyBlade View Post
At this point, No. I found it interesting that you can be a Hologram though. That would mean that opposing forces would have to damage your emitter to hurt/disable you.
You can't be a hologram. You can be a character that pretends to be a hologram.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the answers you gave Awen. Shame you sidestepped a few things asked so very neatly as ever. I suppose with 10s of pages of questions and just 1 page of answers there were going to be a lot of things like that.

Thanks again though
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I think it was a good Q & A. The only problem I have is the fact that races from the opposite factions can be made (more or less) in the other faction. It will be kind of strange to see a Human in the KDF or Klingon in Federation (no reference to Worf) given the fact of War or Cold War.

I think there should be restrictions on certain races depending on which faction a player chooses. Just my Opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Awesome news thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topekaguy1988 View Post
Yeah, but I mean how often do you see humans or vulcans serving in the Klingon Defense Force? Well, now there will be some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahakra View Post
If, for all intents and purposes and in all but name, you can make a Klingon (and share him with ya buds) then play him as a Fed, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having Factional separation in the first place?

- Dahakra
For me this is simultaneously cool and uncool, but I'm leaning more toward cool to let there be more freedom for players to enjoy the game the way they want to. But still, it will be odd to see what looks like a human or even Vulcan commanding a Klingon Defense Force vessel. I can totally see Klingon players, especially role-players, choosing to not group up with non-Klingon (or non-Klingon faction) races, particularly Federation races.

It makes more sense for the Federation to include a character from the other faction(s) since they are more about tolerance and acceptance. It will essentially be like Worf, a Klingon being in Starfleet while for a period of time being a social outcast, discommendated from Klingon society and then again when he was stripped of his family honor when Gowron took away all land and assets from the House of Mogh. Now, essentially any Klingon serving in Starfleet during the time of STO (when the two factions are at odds and on the brink of war) would be considered a maghwI’ (a traitor) among the Klingons of the KDF -- a petaQ worthy of death.

QotDI’ gheD tlhejbe’ wamwI’ "The hunter does not lie down with the prey."
The Klingon Way: A Warrior's Guide, p.161

This does allow players to make TOS style Klingons, augment Klingons or the QuchHa’ "the Unhappy Ones", if they are so inclined.