Lt. Commander
# 1 The Exchange
03-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Hi all,

I love this game and have already made it to Rear Admiral. There's something that's been troubling me though. Whenever I do between-quest shopping and such at the Sol Starport I always see a lot of people congregating around the exchange. For my part I've only used it a couple of times to buy some extra duty officers.

Anyway, I fail to see what all the brouhaha is about the exchange? I mean, I've been playing STO like I would Skyrim. I pick up things in the course of questing, and anything I don't need I sell to the local merchants. Doing this has made me quite wealthy and I have more energy credits than I know what to do with.

Could someone tell me what I'm missing by not using the exchange much? To me it seems like the MMORPG equivalent of a second-hand store, and I've never liked buying someone's hand-me-downs.

STO is my first MMORPG, BTW. I love it, and it seems like once you discover the beauty of a good MMORPG like STO, you never want to go back to the single-player games.

TTFN
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Sometimes you can get more money for items through the Exchange then through the NPCs. You can also find items on there that you can't buy at regular stores. There are also crafting supplies which you can easily buy. Unique BOffs and DOffs. Stuff like that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Rare and Very Rare items... Try to sell them on the exchange... You'd be surprised how far that can get you.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Money!

I've made money (EC) in a few ways. Here are some example

Mineral Samples are selling for 1100 each. On page 7, someone is selling 10 for 5000. I buy them and then sell them for 1000 each. 15 minutes later I've made 5000 EC.

Lock Boxes are up to 1000 each, but someone did not pay attention and just sold 10 for 1. I buy them and sell them each for 999. They move quickly and I've made nearly 10000 in profit.

Synthale can be recycled for 8 EC but someone is selling 10 on the exchange for 10 EC. Buy them and recycle them to make a bit more money.

Frequency devices are free from the replicator. Make one and sell it for 100 EC.

I've done all of these (with synthale being just about anything, the other items being the items I use) and made money in each of these ways.

Also, many sometimes wait for certain things at certain prices.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys, your points make sense. So you can find things on the exchange that you can't at the NPC vendors? Cool. Also, again, I currently have more energy credits than I know what to do with, so haven't felt the need to sell anything for a better profit on the exchange, or like you Teddy, spend the time to become a Starfleet investment banker. . I suppose though that once I start spending more, like for better duty officers, at that point I may be compelled to 'play the markets'.

BTW, I feel like I've spent as much on my clothes as I have on my ships! lol
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager7etoile
Thanks guys, your points make sense. So you can find things on the exchange that you can't at the NPC vendors? Cool. Also, again, I currently have more energy credits than I know what to do with, so haven't felt the need to sell anything for a better profit on the exchange, or like you Teddy, spend the time to become a Starfleet investment banker. . I suppose though that once I start spending more, like for better duty officers, at that point I may be compelled to 'play the markets'.

BTW, I have to admire what Cryptic has done. They've created the deepest and most diversified economic system I've ever seen in a game. The economic systems in the Bethesda RPG's are child's play by comparison.

PS.......I' feel like I've spent as much on my clothes as I have on my ships! lol
Are you sure you have enough EC? Don't mean to be facetious, but until you start looking at prices, you may surprised at how much things cost. Way back when, when I crossed the 2 million EC mark, I thought i was rich. That is until I saw that Saurian BO I wanted list for 20 million. A purple mark XI phaser beam array is selling right now for 1.5 million each. So to outfit your ship with 4 or 5 arrays will cost you over 6 mill. So, it doesn't hurt to sell some of your stuff that you won't need. Save up for a rainy day.