Lt. Commander
# 71
03-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeasom
How much are we all betting that in a few months times they will have this same monkey in the C store. I got a Horta pet from the lotto box but since they don't help you in battle there pretty much useless

Actually I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on STOked that there was going to be a combat pet in the cstore less than a week after these non-combat pets came out.

With this latest post, obviously they decided the backlash would be too much and are now saying "there's no immediate plans for a combat pet"

Translation: "We're going to wait for a better time to release this."
Lt. Commander
# 72 Can't stop laughing
03-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Oh my god, I laughed til the tears ran down my cheeks.

Oh you poor, poor LTS holders. Eight hundred days of loyalty, and they give you a dancing monkey. I honestly thought that was a joke at first, but they're serious, hahahahahahaha...!!

Imagine the meeting where this was decided upon. Somebody had to actually suggest a dancing monkey, and endure the howling laughter of ridicule. I'm virtually certain it had to have been originally suggested as sarky humor, a snide comment of the sort programmers are given to...and then management took it seriously and actually did it!

It's like something from a Fellini film, but it's really happening.
Lt. Commander
# 73
03-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4 View Post
Come on folks, give away something like a special ship or something. Lets get it right next time, lets say everyone who reaches 900 days gets an Enterprise-J, Typhoon Battleship or something equally as cool then do not put the ship in the C-STORE, market or anywhere else. Make the reward worthy of spending years playing the game and lots of money supporting the product, a pet monkey doesn't fit that in my book.
One of the tentative rewards for 1,000 days is a "Free Exclusive Starship Variant." Now what that variant will be, or if the reward will remain an exclusive ship variant by the time players start reaching 1,000 days we don't know. But for now the plan is a free exclusive ship for players who will reach 1,000 days of active subscription time.

http://www.startrekonline.com/veteran_rewards

As for the Universe Class (Enterprise-J), CBS already said no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

It would be nice, here at the end of the vet rewards table, if at 800, 900, or 1000 we finally get the dilithium equivalent of the emblems that were taken away at 600.
It was 500 days. Just because the Interim Executive Producer couldn't get it right doesn't mean players like myself are going to forget that they were promised a veteran reward if they stayed subscribed for 500 days, watched other players get it when those players got to 500 days, and got nothing when that reward was pulled before they got to 500 days.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=233025
Quote:
The 500 day veteran reward no longer offers 250 emblems as a reward.
Lt. Commander
# 74
03-26-2012, 07:02 PM
How come some people got it already and I'm only ay 788.85 days? I was in pre-order, beta and pre-release.
Lt. Commander
# 75
03-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMatter View Post
How come some people got it already and I'm only ay 788.85 days? I was in pre-order, beta and pre-release.
I guess its when you bought your subscription, I had the beta, and all that, and Im @ 784.something. I have also noteiced that you actully get your rewards a day to day and half before you hit the goal.
Lt. Commander
# 76
03-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Nevermind that subscribing for 800 days since the start of F2P nets you over 10,000 C-points
huh? nonsense...

we got 2 or maybe 3 stipends yet...
i made ten times that by grinding dilithium on my 9 toons in the same time and Cryptic still manages to put even more expensive stuff in the C-Store that i won't buy (namely the Odysses / Bortas rip-offs with [Pircetag x3] trait )
Lt. Commander
# 77
03-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

Actually I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on STOked that there was going to be a combat pet in the cstore less than a week after these non-combat pets came out.

With this latest post, obviously they decided the backlash would be too much and are now saying "there's no immediate plans for a combat pet"

Translation: "We're going to wait for a better time to release this."

or they just decided that friggen COMBAT MONKEYS would be... not very much STAR TREK

Hortas ? i can live with that... but MONKEYS?

You can say all you want that this is Canon because there was one 40 years ago in an TOS episode... i still only see a dancing Monkey.

I am almost 30 and i don't care for the TOS overdose of silliness STO has been infused with so far.
I grew up with TNG and beyond.

Dancing Monkeys are something 13 year old GIRLS might like, and go all "ooooh cute" over it.
But 30+ Year old STAR TREK Fans?

Sorry... wrong Audience Cryptic.

The Horta was a stretch already... Monkeys? Thats just going to far imho.
DS9 ground zone forever ruined.

Maybe add the USS Nyancat with rainbow warptrails next?

....oooh go away sarcasm
Lt. Commander
# 78 Pets
03-29-2012, 07:01 AM
The monkeys are cannon, so it's not that surprising.

My question is.. who really cares about non-combat pets anyway? Does that really provide a "reward" for 800 days? Non-combat pets are clutter at best -- when I see someone running around with one, my first and only thought is.. "dork. put that away, it's silly."

Combat "pets" have a purpose, non-combat pets do not. I suppose if this was REALLY an MMO rather than a single-player game with always-on multi-player features and a chat room where players had to interact in (virtual) person - that is -- hail each other directly in space (maybe via fleet, team, friend list only) otherwise only interact when in "local" range -- people would actually pay attention to the avatars. as it is, no one does (or at least most do not) and therefore pets are a waste of time.

Repeat: Cryptic, you are wasting your time with non-combat pets. Please use your designer/developer time to do something useful. You guys are doing a good job, but instead of an item that 99% of players will stuff in their bank and never use (or use only once just to see it), make it have a purpose or don't make it at all.

STO is a fun enough game and when I read the release notes, I'm usually pleased at all the fixes, but things like non-combat pets are so pointless as to be laughable... even if they didn't run away until an enemy shot at them (so at least they draw fire).. something, anything, useful... otherwise, you could have used the time fixing a bug or scoping a new interesting (useful) feature, building a new episode...
Career Officer
# 79
07-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
The monkeys are cannon, so it's not that surprising.

My question is.. who really cares about non-combat pets anyway? Does that really provide a "reward" for 800 days? Non-combat pets are clutter at best -- when I see someone running around with one, my first and only thought is.. "dork. put that away, it's silly."

Combat "pets" have a purpose, non-combat pets do not. I suppose if this was REALLY an MMO rather than a single-player game with always-on multi-player features and a chat room where players had to interact in (virtual) person - that is -- hail each other directly in space (maybe via fleet, team, friend list only) otherwise only interact when in "local" range -- people would actually pay attention to the avatars. as it is, no one does (or at least most do not) and therefore pets are a waste of time.

Repeat: Cryptic, you are wasting your time with non-combat pets. Please use your designer/developer time to do something useful. You guys are doing a good job, but instead of an item that 99% of players will stuff in their bank and never use (or use only once just to see it), make it have a purpose or don't make it at all.

STO is a fun enough game and when I read the release notes, I'm usually pleased at all the fixes, but things like non-combat pets are so pointless as to be laughable... even if they didn't run away until an enemy shot at them (so at least they draw fire).. something, anything, useful... otherwise, you could have used the time fixing a bug or scoping a new interesting (useful) feature, building a new episode...
Yeah, and remind me what the point of the delta flyer pet was again?? Ohh right, NOTHING... Now, if it, for instance, helped in combat by drawing some aggro away from you or actually took a few STEALTHy potshots in the direction of a downed shield to help you out, that would certainly be useful. But I agree that non-combat pets are STUPID. There is no point to them and they merely clutter the bank or inventory. This isn't WoW... We don't need dancing monkies or un-useful things cluttering it up. As the prior poster says, concentrate your creative energy on giving us the things we as players WANT. We DON'T WANT things that DON'T HELP US in-game. Dancing monkies count under the 'NON-HELPFUL in-game' category and are thus completely superfluous. I'd rather have dilithium, C-poi-- Z-points, whatever. A cr@p ton off fleet marks. Maybe a master key once a month along with the stipend. something that shows that you actually want to make my gameplay experience better, rather than simply giving flashy pieces of nothing that in no way benefit me as a player.

[/rant]