Lt. Commander
# 1 TopGun Fox 2 Pro USB Joystick
03-21-2012, 05:08 PM
While I only know from talking to other players that this topic has come up before, I thought I'd put in my two cents.

To my ability to figure it all out, the joystick control programability appears to be crap. When I try to customize it, it tries to set everything I customize to "slider", which I presume to be the throttle on the joystick. If I leave it all as is, the buttons it assigns to this, that, and the other make no sense at all. On top of that, I must say the descriptors used under the joystick customization options make no sense to begin with. Even if I had been able to get them to say anything other than "slider", it still would have been a lot of experimentation to get to work.

Would love to work with a developer on this, not being a programmer anymore myself, to get this resolved. Have an account on Tribble and have the joystick above as well as having logged a good number of hours both in computer simulation game and in RL flying. Imagining the possibilities: Accurate flying through the sun slingshot, Red Bull-style racing with the Delta Flyer, just plain haing more control over flying during a combat situation...
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Fox! Do a barrel roll!!

I too admit Joystick controls for the game are crap... but the Space Combat is just the ground combat with just the ability to fly up and down...

I have a Thrustmaster HotasX.

So I use a Razer Nostromo now.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfalcone
While I only know from talking to other players that this topic has come up before, I thought I'd put in my two cents.

To my ability to figure it all out, the joystick control programability appears to be crap. When I try to customize it, it tries to set everything I customize to "slider", which I presume to be the throttle on the joystick. If I leave it all as is, the buttons it assigns to this, that, and the other make no sense at all. On top of that, I must say the descriptors used under the joystick customization options make no sense to begin with. Even if I had been able to get them to say anything other than "slider", it still would have been a lot of experimentation to get to work.

Would love to work with a developer on this, not being a programmer anymore myself, to get this resolved. Have an account on Tribble and have the joystick above as well as having logged a good number of hours both in computer simulation game and in RL flying. Imagining the possibilities: Accurate flying through the sun slingshot, Red Bull-style racing with the Delta Flyer, just plain haing more control over flying during a combat situation...

Amen! Just bought a Logic tech 3d pro joy stick and the in game key binds render it virtually useless! I dislike using a game mouses because I like to SEE what I am doing not act if I am using Braille. I see with my EYES not my fingers. Plus the potential for tiny button mashing. You might set off a control two soon or too late with tiny closely packed buttons on thier sides. No thanks!

If only they were to improve those darn key binds for a joy stick you could really kick some butt!
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-26-2012, 01:07 AM
I tried using my Thrustmaster HOTAS for ship control but was unable to assign the buttons via the ingame menu. I can however create basic functionality by using Joy2Key to map keyboard buttons to that on the HOTAS.

But, the directional control is really setup for gamepads (They don't take smooth control motions at all) and it's not worth trying to fly the ship with a stick.

I was unable to map the throttle slider to control the throttle as well (or maybe I need to manually program the keybinds file). Pity, I would love to do the *shove throttle to the max and go to warp* action IRL. Then I can make parking brake jokes when the Excelsior breaks down inevitably