Lt. Commander
# 1381
03-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
You've kinda made my point for me. THERE IS NO CANON AS FAR AS RANGE AND DISTANCE ARE CONCERNED. Didn't I mention that? The game designers HAD to make some stuff up.

They made an aesthetic choice. Perfect? No. Maybe not. But at least they TRIED.

Fine. So if you want to interact with a space object you have to be right on top of it. Who's to say Geordi or data was doing an "interact with object" and not offering a "popup dialog" on a "reach marker"?

Look, I love the idea of two ships blasting away at each other from so far away they barely see one another as anything more than pinpoints of light. I'm a huge classic Traveller fan. But compare the distances above to the shots in Wrath of Khan where the two ships were practically smashing into each other. The devs had to make some choices and they chose, not surprisingly, to go with the more graphically exciting approach of having the ships at relatively close quarters. I don't see how that makes it somehow a betrayal to the spirit of the franchise.
The shows made a TON of references over 6 km. I gave you many and you still ignore it. Fine. I'm a doctor not a miracle worker. I can't make the blind see.
Lt. Commander
# 1382
03-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
The shows made a TON of references over 6 km. I gave you many and you still ignore it. Fine. I'm a doctor not a miracle worker. I can't make the blind see.
lmao way to funny lmfao
Lt. Commander
# 1383
03-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Or the deaf hear, apparently.

I've already showed you how we could replicate that dialog even in the foundry. But hey, if you'd rather wallow in bitterness, go for it.
Lt. Commander
# 1384
03-27-2012, 10:04 AM
So was on TOR few days ago....is it bad that my level 13 guardian killed a level 47 warrior and others around that level? :p
Lt. Commander
# 1385
03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
Or the deaf hear, apparently.

I've already showed you how we could replicate that dialog even in the foundry. But hey, if you'd rather wallow in bitterness, go for it.

You said there was NO CANON saying they can do things over the 6 km or 10km (for firing). I have shown many. Then you say there's still no canon. So TV/Movies aren't canon?

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSW-WeaponRange-Trek.html Edited for a link of someone showing MANY times in the shows the ability to fire at more than 10 km.

Therefore as said from the start of the exchange, Cryptic didn't actually truly capture a lot of Star Trek space aspects.
Lt. Commander
# 1386
03-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
So was on TOR few days ago....is it bad that my level 13 guardian killed a level 47 warrior and others around that level? :p
NPCs or PvP?
Lt. Commander
# 1387
03-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
I havent been on all week, I keep coming back and reading this thing...............

1.2 on kotor is what I am waitning for......
Lt. Commander
# 1388
03-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
You said there was NO CANON saying they can do things over the 6 km or 10km (for firing). I have shown many. Then you say there's still no canon. So TV/Movies aren't canon?

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSW-WeaponRange-Trek.html Edited for a link of someone showing MANY times in the shows the ability to fire at more than 10 km.

Therefore as said from the start of the exchange, Cryptic didn't actually truly capture a lot of Star Trek space aspects.
Dude, you're hearing what you want to hear. Kindly don't put words in my mouth. When I say there is no canon in terms of ranges and distances what I am referring to is the lack of consistency even between the various episodes/movies. Yes, there are many occasions when scanners and weapons could be used over much larger distances than the game allows. But there are others when ranges are being called out in meters.

I never said scanners couldn't be used at ranges over a few miles. You saying I said it doesn't make it so. In fact I've shown you twice how devs work around the "short range scan" limitation imposed by the object interaction standard on the space maps. But ranges in Star Trek aren't covered in the writer's bible, and they aren't dictated by technical guidelines. Ranges in Star Trek are adjusted to suit the dramatic requirements of the moment.

All I said was that because the show is riddled with these inconsistencies in regards to weapon and scanner ranges the devs had no choice but to assign some standards to make the game playable, and no matter what choices they made they would have been violating "canon", because the "canon" you are talking about doesn't exist. It is internally inconsistent.
Lt. Commander
# 1389
03-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Legacy system seems kind of meh considering how much they told us to wait wait wait for the details.
Lt. Commander
# 1390
03-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Flying in circles, scanners having a 6 km limit (although many eps spoke of scanning a lot further away than that), combat flying in circles because the enemy instantly changes direction to match you to stay on your sides, etc. There are many flaws in this game and no fanboism can change that.

We started down the path because you tried to prove this statement wrong. Even go so far as to say there is no canon to support this statement. I have since shown example after example after example of it to be true via the shows/movies. And each time you reply there is no canon to support this.

I have yet to see you supply ONE instance from the shows/movies of them having to get within 6km to scan, fly in circles during combat or just to go "up" and "down" (that's kind of off since space really doesn't have an up or down in the traditional sense of how we see it while planetside on Earth), enemy instant changing directions to stay on the side, or anything I pointed out here.

But several times the reply is there is no canon for scanning more than 6km or firing further than 10km (which is even mentioned in STO's tutorial for crying out loud). So show me examples from the show that says they can't scan further than 6km or fire more than 10km. I'm tired of giving examples yet get back "there is no canon" comments.