Lt. Commander
# 1 Great Mission! 3 stars!
03-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Argh, these 3 stars are killing me. It's like a very sizable portion of the playerbase doesn't realize that they can adjust the star rating from its default of 3 stars.

So, I'm getting tons of reviews that are like "Wow. Excellent." 3 stars.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there something that can be done with the UI to help educate the players that they can change the star rating?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Argh, these 3 stars are killing me. It's like a very sizable portion of the playerbase doesn't realize that they can adjust the star rating from its default of 3 stars.

So, I'm getting tons of reviews that are like "Wow. Excellent." 3 stars.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there something that can be done with the UI to help educate the players that they can change the star rating?
Can't really think of anything except putting an extra sentence in the last dialog box of the mission (the one that completes it) saying, "Make sure to click on the 5 star rating above if you loved this mission" or something similar.

As a group entity, people have very short attention spans - they just want to click and go. Most authors are lucky to get any commments most of the time.

But sadly, mission trolls seem to have a terrific grasp of the "1 star" click, so some people out there do know how to use it (albeit badly). I have seen some incredible missions (most of yours included) arbitarily 1 stared. Why? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Again, the only thing I can think of to educate folks who really meant to give you a great rating is to have that last little reminder sentence at the end.

BTW, excellent subject, loved responding to it! * * * LOL!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I see that as well. I think it would be better if the default setting was NR. If you didn't take the time to change it, it would just leave your comment but no rating. A lot of people seem too lazy to change the star rating or don't seem to even know they can. I think this is actually a big part of the general decline in average rating since the game went F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-29-2012, 04:15 AM
I get a handful of these as well. I really like Nagorak's idea about the NR default.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-29-2012, 04:18 AM
NR default is an excellent way around it, good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-29-2012, 04:28 AM
To be honest, I leave it on 3 Star unless it blows my socks off. Only one Mission has done that for me - The Syndicate Extraction (by Galactrix). I don't play a lot of Foundry Missions though. If it really stinks and it doesn't keep my interest to even complete it, I will drop it to 1 star.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
I just 5 starred your mission and tipped. It was really good. In my opinion, there are "star" ratings for various things all over the internet. Anyone who doesn't know they can change it needs help. I am wondering now if there isn't some sort of bug, where 5 star ratings are coming through as the default 3 stars... Such a bug would explain a lot. It's possible that missions are getting three stars regardless of what people are actually rating it.

Nobody is going to say "WOW!" and leave it at three stars, at least not a whole bunch of times in a row.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
To be honest, I leave it on 3 Star unless it blows my socks off. Only one Mission has done that for me - The Syndicate Extraction (by Galactrix). I don't play a lot of Foundry Missions though. If it really stinks and it doesn't keep my interest to even complete it, I will drop it to 1 star.
Dude, that's harsh.

If you're going to skewer someone with a 1-star rating, I hope you at least bother to leave comments saying why you were so brutal
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Just saw this one today in Nagorak's #1 mission:

"You outdid yourself. Awesome module. Looking forward to part 2!"

...and you guessed it...3 stars.

So Kirkfat you are certainly not alone. Maybe 'require' a click on the star rating box in order to close out the review window? That would at least show folks there are other stars available to give.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-04-2012, 10:07 AM
All the time my friend, even get big tips and great reviews with the 3 stars on occassion. I think they should set it so the star rating comes up for folks to use prior to leaving a review, or else adding the sentence to change the star rating as mentioned above. IT is true that some have short attention spans and it most likely that has more to do with it the knowledge that they can change the star ratings.

Duke-of-Rock