Lt. Commander
# 61
03-28-2012, 07:51 AM
I like the idea of finding a use for the interior of my ship.
I tried to use this system. It has it's good and bad points though. I would rather be able to go to my ready room, sit down(Could someone fix the chair so I can actually sit down?) I see recruitment options for my Klingon, General and such from the recruiter, but also Gorn and Nosican. I have yet to find ones for my Fed other then the standard starfleet one. I'd like to recruit Bajorian, Andorian, Vulcan etc.
Lt. Commander
# 62
03-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Also why is it my fed's brig is always empty and my Klingon is always full?
Lt. Commander
# 63 Suggestions and Feedback
03-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Regarding the DOff changes. I agree with almost 90% of the negative comment and a few of the positive ones.

Here is my suggestions, take it or leave it.

1.) Have a select number of uncommon, rare and very rare missions available on the ship.
a.) no common missions
b.) 20 hour timer to get new ones
c.) static list, (ie, doesn't change in any sector, only when timer is up)
d.) put the timer on the page, so players KNOW when timer is about to reset.
2.) Have Officers/Contacts available on key locations with lower traffic, ie Risa, Andoria, ect. NOT where events happen, NOT high Traffic areas.
a.) link the contacts so wherever they are they offer the same missions their counterpart would be. ie the diplomatic contact on risa, offers the same missions as the diplomatic contact on Bajor or Andoria, or wherever.
b.) 20 hour timer to get new ones
c.) Don't make these missions the same as the ones on your ship, put them in a separate category altogether for generations
3.) Place A few unique contacts on other places through out the universe.
a.) the contacts would have unique missions, not available in the other places
b.) 20 hour timer for new missions
I believe these changes would allow the casual player to play the DOff system close to what they enjoy but allow a higher level for those who want to get more deeply involved in the system.

In addition the unique contacts could easily be moved, become seasonal or even timed. allowing the players more challenges to complete them.

I think the key thing is to make a large portion of missions accessible to players without the need to run everywhere to check all possibilities. Players hate wasting time, casual players more so. STO already has a TON of time sinks in the game, it really doesn't need more, all that does is frustrate players. In addition, Placing contacts in the middle of areas where events happen is just a big mistake in my opinion. I already won't touch SFA during the academy event because of the annoyance factor of everyone running around spawning enemies that, if they agro on me, can and HAVE killed my characters. Having DOff contacts there is just bad IMO.

Again these are just my suggestions. Take them or leave em.
Lt. Commander
# 64
03-28-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't see how this running around the interior of a ship like a headless chicken adds any immersion, in fact I could care less about so called "immersion." But you know what fine, I just would like the missions be available outside interior zones.
Lt. Commander
# 65
03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
As noted in several places, there is an update in the pipeline that will allow you to access the random set of bonus assignments from your ship interior from the department head tab of your duty officer interface.
Lt. Commander
# 66
03-28-2012, 01:23 PM
I tried out the interior doff contacts a few times yesterday. I'm actually all for these changes as we have been needing functional interiors like forever.

These changes are great but, like others have said, they have added a level of annoyance from all the zoning. Specifically, I tried to do some Marauding Assignments and found myself having to Zone back and forth Over and Over to move the ship to another sector then go back to the Ready Room. The level of load screens I had to encounter measured over 9000!!

With the addition of interior doff contacts, I think it's high time to implement a simple solution for bridge travel. Please, implement the simulated travel option using a timer. We should be able to set a course to a sector from the bridge, have the conn officer tell us when we arrived. And then we should be able to pull up Doff Assignments for that sector. All without having to go back to tactical view then visit the bridge, go back to tactical view, visit the bridge... arggggg!

Lastly, it makes sense for us to have to go down to the bar to have a drink or to the mess hall to get some food. But just about every other doff contact should be accessible via internal ship communications. Preferably a communications interface built into our captain's chairs.

So to sum it up, these are great additions to ship interiors but much more should be done to streamline the processes for moving the ship and talking to interior doff contacts.
Lt. Commander
# 67
03-29-2012, 02:14 AM
Having the freedom to choose between a simple click on a tab and a more immersive walk to the lower decks: great!

Making the ship a different "sector" to check for a seperate always available set of assignments: more so!

Visiting the shipboard doff contacts is like another star cluster regarding loading screens: you zone in and back out into a sector you already checked, so its not really cumbersome - turbolifts are to fast to count as zoning.

Adding another (two) deck (s) with (seperate) shuttle bay (switch ships/shuttles), conference room (its there!), cargo bay (shipboard bank and mail access) and arboretum (sp?) with all our pets and more space for trophies: droolish!
Lt. Commander
# 68
03-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
With the addition of interior doff contacts, I think it's high time to implement a simple solution for bridge travel. Please, implement the simulated travel option using a timer. We should be able to set a course to a sector from the bridge, have the conn officer tell us when we arrived. And then we should be able to pull up Doff Assignments for that sector. All without having to go back to tactical view then visit the bridge, go back to tactical view, visit the bridge... arggggg!
I would like to propose an alternative that might be easier to implement.

What if Transwarp-like functionality were available from the interior for sector transitions?

-> Transwarp destinations are fixed. No need for timers or markers.
-> When you returned to Tactical View, your ship would appear at the Transwarp destination.
-> More Transwarp destinations could be added (via Commendation tiers?) to make them useful for Doffing.
-> Transwarp cooldowns would still apply. Good Astrophysics DO's would be in high demand.
-> Doesn't totally eliminate sector space travel, but could cut down on it a little.

Granted, it isn't "bridge travel" but it could be the next best thing.
Lt. Commander
# 69
03-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
As noted in several places, there is an update in the pipeline that will allow you to access the random set of bonus assignments from your ship interior from the department head tab of your duty officer interface.
Having done extensive testing today with others in DOFFJOBS what appears to have been implemented is that the Department Heads draw from a similar pool of jobs (fixed, and personal) and generates a separate list to what's on your ship.

You can easily prove it by standing next to your own OPS or Tactical Officers for instance and comparing the two lists side by side. They don't entirely match.

Further more, the Duty Officer list is unique to you; even if someone boards your ship they can't access what you can from there, which negates the whole purpose of what we really wanted; to not have to go into the ship every time just to see what's there. We wanted to see the shipboard list status from outside first. Now we have to check our own list, then go in the ship anyway, and then advertise whether we've anything to share from the Ops etc exactly as before too.

There may be other complications we've noticed; unlockable or chain missions may or may not appear for an individual depending on where they are on that chain, so if you are before or beyond it, it won't appear? This isn't a problem per-se, but it's led to havoc on DOFFJOBs chat as people try and work out the even more tangled spaghetti system...

So let me make this quite, quite clear; What I, and many others actually want is a Department Head that updates in real time as to what would be on your ship if you were to board it now and thus what you would be able to offer others in turn. We want to stop wasting hours every day in each zone walking about our ship just to update that list. We don't mind going inside if we can see there's something useful, and we don't need more Doff jobs, we aren't lazy or greedy... we're frustrated by over complexity and inability to usefully plan our time!
Lt. Commander
# 70
03-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Yestersday's systen seems far better than today's for me.

I count about 15 lists you have to check now

1) Sector
2) Personal
3) 7 dept heads
4) 7 Ship contacts.

Thats too many list to scan thru.

Personally, I would prefer TWO simple lists with everything on them, A general sector list and a personal/sharable.

AT THE VERY LIST, just get rid of the seperate Dept head buttons and just make the ONE list. Clicking all 7 is old really really fast.