Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
03-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
There are no contortions. The fact that they are showing different assignments is simply a bug. A fix is being worked on.
Heretic, you're a good man, and I can't tell you how much I admire your willingness to take all this public abuse just to maintain a presence with the gamers, but this system is nothing but contortions.

In this case, I am glad it is a bug, and I know you will get it fixed as soon as humanly possible.

But the real problem is systemic. Duck tape and bailing wire is not going to put things on the right track.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafari_Ken View Post
But the real problem is systemic. Duck tape and bailing wire is not going to put things on the right track.
Certainly, there have been unintended consequences and unexpected reactions from players concerned about changes to their playstyle of the system. We are absolutely open to refinements and improvements with this or any other system we build or develop, but continued integration of the duty officer system with the rest of the game has always been the plan.

Beyond bugs and fine-tuning, I would be interested in hearing specifically what seem to be the systemic problems you are seeing?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
maybe some sort of blueprint on what to expect in sector missions, ship missions, and walking through your ship, missions.
I am having a hard time finding the once plentiful Disable X Freighter maurauding mission.
So, i go from map to map, check the sector missions, then walk to my ready room and check the computer there.
Nadda.
So I wonder, if it did exist where would I find it?

If we could get a blueprint on where things once were, to where they are now, it would be a step in the right direction.

I don't have the changes, I just am not used to them.

edit: Also a way to "save" a mission to be used later in a completely other area. For example, i needed to transport to and from my bridge 3 times to get the Host a Reception mission done after buying hte stuff from the exchange.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
03-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Marauding assignments in general have been more scarce lately, or so it seems. I think Heretic mentioned a fix in the pipe for that, too?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
03-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Certainly, there have been unintended consequences and unexpected reactions from players concerned about changes to their playstyle of the system. We are absolutely open to refinements and improvements with this or any other system we build or develop, but continued integration of the duty officer system with the rest of the game has always been the plan.

Beyond bugs and fine-tuning, I would be interested in hearing specifically what seem to be the systemic problems you are seeing?
The biggest problem I'm seeing is how frustrating it is to run all the way to a shipboard contact or even just go to your ship interior and not have the resources to attempt a mission.

I would like to see:

- A dilithium store added to ship interiors for purchasing of green quality DOs and/or exchange access added if only for the Bridge Officer and Duty Officer tabs of the exchange.

- Maybe the ability to "draft" sub-white quality DOs in order to make due and attempt missions even without adequate resources.

Let's call these "Red Quality." They come with a +10% chance of failure. Maybe make Pakleds a common form of these. You and Kestrel could write up quotes for them that indicate incompetence, bad attitudes, and a tendency towards accidental deaths. They're basically your "last resort"/"I really want to send warm bodies on this assignment" option. They could have traits like Incompetent and Unlucky. Make them an EC sink. Add assignments where these guys are an asset but in general make them assignment filler.

There could also be Red Quality BOs down the road with some fun mechanics based around them messing up or getting killed. Have accolades associated with them dying A LOT. Things like "Tin-Plated Dictator" as a title. Specific ones by species too so that when your red quality Vulcan dies 10k times, you get the title "Tal Shiar Double Agent" or when you've lost 10k Bajorans, you get a title like "Occupation Overseer."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
03-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Marauding assignments in general have been more scarce lately, or so it seems. I think Heretic mentioned a fix in the pipe for that, too?
Both Diplomacy and Marauding have become extremely scarce, yes. And when I do find them, it's usually a bunch of variants on the 20-hour "Diplomatic Correspondence" and the 2-hour "Receive X Dignitaries" assignments. Not the interesting ones that used to be a lot more common, like "Conclude Economic Treaty," "Negotiate Prisoner Release," "Adjudicate Separatist Reconciliation," etc.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
03-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael
Both Diplomacy and Marauding have become extremely scarce, yes. And when I do find them, it's usually a bunch of variants on the 20-hour "Diplomatic Correspondence" and the 2-hour "Receive X Dignitaries" assignments. Not the interesting ones that used to be a lot more common, like "Conclude Economic Treaty," "Negotiate Prisoner Release," "Adjudicate Separatist Reconciliation," etc.
Part of the problem, I think, is that along with the shipboard interior changes came a complete re-rigging of the assignment distribution infrastructure, something that was increasingly necessary to avoid some truly chewing gum and bailing wire arrangements to make things appear as would appear reasonable to a human being.

Colonial, Diplomacy and Marauding assignments all wound up being less common than they were intended. A fix is in the pipeline for these, though additional tuning may be necessary as well.

Because of the massive re-rigging, there may be other issues that still need to be resolved that haven't come to our attention as yet.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
03-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Colonial, Diplomacy and Marauding assignments all wound up being less common than they were intended. A fix is in the pipeline for these, though additional tuning may be necessary as well.
Yep. My Sci VA is stuck with so many colonists that I can't accept the other 2 mission rewards that... have even more colonists. I can't find a mission to drop these multiplying tribbles off. I'll be glad when the fix comes to light.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
03-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Part of the problem, I think, is that along with the shipboard interior changes came a complete re-rigging of the assignment distribution infrastructure, something that was increasingly necessary to avoid some truly chewing gum and bailing wire arrangements to make things appear as would appear reasonable to a human being.

Colonial, Diplomacy and Marauding assignments all wound up being less common than they were intended. A fix is in the pipeline for these, though additional tuning may be necessary as well.

Because of the massive re-rigging, there may be other issues that still need to be resolved that haven't come to our attention as yet.
and not to be a pain here, but given the above, why was this released? Testing it seems isn't long enough some times, I'm using this as a base example of a real problem. Testing on tribble seems to get no response, it does the players little good to test for you if things are not changed based on feedback

I stopped testing things on tribble because it never helped, ever.

That said, so far other than the mentioned bugs my sole complaint about it is now that I need more mission space, IE can we consider upping the amount of missions we have? 20 space 10 department head and 10 personal?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafari_Ken View Post
DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN PLEASE, Just make Dept Heads and Shipboard the same thing and be done with it.

You're thinking WAY TOO HARD about this. The contortions are killing me.

Make it so.

And while at it , can you get rid of the "Personal" tab?

I don't care about the engine-system-need-problem behind it, I just want the logic of assignements back.

Me, my ship and crew are a team/unit, and "we" have assignments from our central command as well as assignements "we" pick up when traveling through space.

But "I", the captain - I have NO hidden agendas (="Personal" assignements according to the devs)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 PM.