Lt. Commander
# 1 Platform Bug: A Hypothesis
03-29-2012, 07:20 PM
OK, so if you've ever spawned a player on top of a platform or any point on top of an asset, then you've probably been poorly reviewed for the following:

"I fell through the floor."

"I got stuck in the floor."

etc.

In my opinion, there is a very clear and easy explanation for why this happens. Cryptic has never acknowledged the connection, and we were given some random thoughts about pathing that might cause this. But, I suspect that the problem comes down to a simple explanation:

The player spawns on the map before the assets do.

It's similar to how sometimes a contact loads and you get to see the eyeballs and hair pop up with lag. The player spawns on the map before all the assets of the map load. The player's machine contributes to the effect. So, if a machine is a little sluggish, in need of a reboot or something, then their tendency to spawn on a map where the assets lag behind them is more prevalent. If the machine is very fast at loading the assets, then the player probably won't fall through the floor or get stuck in the ground.

But, if they spawn and do not realize that there is a floor beneath them, then they will fall to the ground, before the floor materializes, thus trapping them.

That is my working hypothesis. Can something be done, besides not using platforms or non-Crptic maps? Is this hypothesis valid?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-30-2012, 06:46 AM
I have found that placing the spawn point slightly above whatever surface the player is supposed to spawn on, it actively solves that problem. Havn't had a single issue with it since I've started making missions.

It would also correspond to your theory, as it always seems that people "land" when loading.
It also suits the "Of bajor" issue I have had,. Lorris always seemd to be "landing" each time we went from one scene to another.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-30-2012, 10:35 PM
My workaround is the same as anazonda's. A few meters up and they don't even notice the drop when they log in. Only problems are when you have roofs on things, but that's solved via testing.

I think your theory is pretty sound Kirkfat, and would also explain why this work around... works.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-31-2012, 05:06 AM
I think that the player doesn't actually spawn first every time, but rather the order that the level objects spawn and the player spawns is not always the same. I've found that it helps placing the spawn slightly higher, but I've also had luck by placing an additional platform or object beneath the player's spawn point.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I think that the player doesn't actually spawn first every time, but rather the order that the level objects spawn and the player spawns is not always the same. I've found that it helps placing the spawn slightly higher, but I've also had luck by placing an additional platform or object beneath the player's spawn point.
How high up do you guys move the spawn. I've moved mine up .5
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
How high up do you guys move the spawn. I've moved mine up .5
I put mine up 1 or 2 meters, but I can't put it that high because my ceiling isn't that high on my custom interiors. If you're really having problems you could put it 3 or 4 meters higher, just be careful that you don't end up putting them in the ceiling.

Edit: If you're not at the detail limit, you can try putting another small platform directly under the spawn point. It could be something dumb like the objects spawn in reverse order to when they were placed, so if you place another platform (last) it will solve the problem.

Alternatively, it might be that it's just random what order the things spawn in, in which case putting another platform increases the odds of it spawning before the player.