Lt. Commander
# 31
03-30-2012, 07:45 AM
@anybody that says that Lock Boxes are good revenue for CRYPTIC. I hope that the profit at least goes to CRYPTIC instead or Imperfect World Entertainment. I think that there are better ways to earn profit, though. A common example: Actually give something to gold members except for $4 back every month. Or maybe sell bonuses for the forums (Better smiles, the ability to insert images directly, ect) Or in the future, personal servers that you can play alone without other players or with just your fleet. My point is, there are ways to earn money without enraging the playerbase. The lock boxes are actually a good idea, but they are SPAMMED LIKE MAD and usually contain items that people wouldn't pay a million EC for (Because you could have sold the key for about that)
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faelandaea View Post
Free-to-play means they need other means of money to keep the servers alive. No worries, though. Please feel free to either ignore the boxes OR . . . if you wish . . . feel free to send any unwanted lock boxes my way. I am still opening the 2000+ I got from last month and when I run out of those I need something else to open.
2000+ KEYS?! ARE YOU MAD!?
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapeldonut View Post
@anybody that says that Lock Boxes are good revenue for CRYPTIC. I hope that the profit at least goes to CRYPTIC instead or Imperfect World Entertainment. I think that there are better ways to earn profit, though. A common example: Actually give something to gold members except for $4 back every month. Or maybe sell bonuses for the forums (Better smiles, the ability to insert images directly, ect) Or in the future, personal servers that you can play alone without other players or with just your fleet. My point is, there are ways to earn money without enraging the playerbase. The lock boxes are actually a good idea, but they are SPAMMED LIKE MAD and usually contain items that people wouldn't pay a million EC for (Because you could have sold the key for about that)
people need to stop blaming PWE for the way lockboxes are handled in this game and the way pricing is set in this game, check PWI and other PWE games, none have the high prices or insane drop rates on boxes that cryptic has/has had, I mean i understand being annoied/angery with the situation but its not all PWE's fault.

PWE make money by volume sales and by keeping most of the players happy as they play/grind their way up, cryptic still hasnt figured out how to do this, I blame management, im sure part of why they do what they do(like making dil harder and harder to get each day) is because somebody in management figuares that if they make it so there is only the illusion that you can earn all cash store items by working hard(grinding) in game, they will make more money on cstore because people will magically decide they can afford cstore points, even if they cant....

what they fail to see is that alot of people dont have the money or cc to buy pts, OR like me and my group, decided we arent going to give cryptic any more money because that $50 they wanted us to spend on 3 bugged ships would be better spent on guildwars2 or some steam sale games.....
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapeldonut View Post
2000+ KEYS?! ARE YOU MAD!?
?

It's not that many. Not like I have anything else to buy at the moment. I currently own everything from the c-store except the new KDF ship bundle (the 4000 point one). I am getting it next then going to start opening about 100 of these boxes I saved up per week.
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
heh. I snickered slightly and adjusted my monocle. :p

It's not really shocking.
Has to make money somehow, no?
Didn't master key sales drop by like 90% after the first week?

There are better ways to make money than aggravating the players with spam drops.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Butters
I am perfectly fine with lock box's, it is Cryptics best way to make money

but please put actual worth wile stuff in them. especially gold. nothing upsettied me more than finding a gold box and it only had a ENGINE BATTERY in it
I am so glad I had the sense to ask my Fleet, and to heed their advice that even gold lockboxes were a total waste of money.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Exactly, save your money people, guildwars2 is where its all going to be at, i got so annoyed at the hundreds of lock boxes flooding my loot window i actually decreased my play time, i am not going to put up with that again, if management or whoever takes it apon themselves to turn something as iconic as star trek into a cash cow with cheap stunts like these boxes then they are bigger fools than i thought, i dont want to stop playing this i really dont but neither will i be tormented with their constant grab at peoples pennies and yes the noticable difficulty in obtaining dil.