Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minababe
NO. Do not listen to him!!

Anyone who's suffering ANY KIND of weakness in any or both hands needs to immediately seek medical advice to find out what is going on, rather than "assuming" that it's a videogame's controls that could be causing it. Because in the end, unless you're a medical professional, you are in no position to diagnose or treat your problem-- or, worse yet, to give people medical advice.

It doesn't matter if you can say, "No, look-- these symptoms started right after I did X or Y." If you suddenly get weird symptoms from a new activity, that doesn't necessarily mean that the new activity caused it; for all anyone knows, you could have had a pre-existing medical condition for months; it's just that the new activity is making it worse to the point now where you can feel it, like how suddenly taking up jogging alerts you to a knee or heart problem you didn't really know you had.

So please seek medical attention if you experience weakness in any hands-- especially something that is debilitating like that. It could be Carpal Tunnel or it could be a symptom of something else.
If you listen to this man feel free to hold both mouse buttons for prolonged period of time while playing STO and see what happens. I don't give u medical advice I'm advising you not to hold both mouse buttons for prolonged period of time regularly.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery7810
If you listen to this man feel free to hold both mouse buttons for prolonged period of time while playing STO and see what happens. I don't give u medical advice I'm advising you not to hold both mouse buttons for prolonged period of time regularly.
I've had issues with CT from playing STO myself. I switched hands for the mouse and took time off.

One thing that can help quite a bit is to make sure your wrist isn't broken. Don't have the mouse positioned so that it causes your wrist to tilt backward -- like using the mouse on a surface that's too high.

Another thing you could consider is getting a trackpad
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery7810
I have-- have been playing since the game went F2P. So have thousands of players, and for much longer than you. Very few of us have experienced the type of debillitating issue you have with the way this game has been set up. If you're suffering from weakness to the point where you're dropping things and can't even write, don't think this is a normal, natural result of playing STO, because it's not. That's a sign of a possible serious medical condition that needs to be treated-- you could have anything from a pinched nerve to something far worse.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Quote:
NO. Do not listen to him!!

Anyone who's suffering ANY KIND of weakness in any or both hands needs to immediately seek medical advice to find out what is going on, rather than "assuming" that it's a videogame's controls that could be causing it. Because in the end, unless you're a medical professional, you are in no position to diagnose or treat your problem-- or, worse yet, to give people medical advice.

It doesn't matter if you can say, "No, look-- these symptoms started right after I did X or Y." If you suddenly get weird symptoms from a new activity, that doesn't necessarily mean that the new activity caused it; for all anyone knows, you could have had a pre-existing medical condition for months; it's just that the new activity is making it worse to the point now where you can feel it, like how suddenly taking up jogging alerts you to a knee or heart problem you didn't really know you had.

So please seek medical attention if you experience weakness in any hands-- especially something that is debilitating like that. It could be Carpal Tunnel or it could be a symptom of something else.
Acute Fappitis. A common malaise among STO players.

Its been known to get progressively worse on sundays.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuriciodide
I've had issues with CT from playing STO myself. I switched hands for the mouse and took time off.

One thing that can help quite a bit is to make sure your wrist isn't broken. Don't have the mouse positioned so that it causes your wrist to tilt backward -- like using the mouse on a surface that's too high.

Another thing you could consider is getting a trackpad
Hmm it's the constant pressure from holding the mouse buttons with your index and middle finger that is stressing the hand. Other games don't require the player to press AND hold any mouse button for prolonged period of time. Mostly just tapping the button or tapping and dragging. But in STO if u use the mouse to steer in space since it's the most efficient way doing it as it frees your other hand to press your abilites, you're stressing the hand by constant pressure on your index and middle finger. Not to mention you're stressing the mouse buttons as well.

Quote:
I have-- have been playing since the game went F2P. So have thousands of players, and for much longer than you. Very few of us have experienced the type of debillitating issue you have with the way this game has been set up. If you're suffering from weakness to the point where you're dropping things and can't even write, don't think this is a normal, natural result of playing STO, because it's not. That's a sign of a possible serious medical condition that needs to be treated-- you could have anything from a pinched nerve to something far worse.
Okay Make sure you use mouse to steer your ship. Oh im not dropping things and I can write as long as I do not continue to use the mouse control steering STO in space. I will be dropping things and I will not be able to write if I continue using the mouse to steer in space.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrSkyfaller
Acute Fappitis. A common malaise among STO players.

Its been known to get progressively worse on sundays.