Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlothfulDragoon View Post
The more and more I thought about the issue, the more I've backed away from the 3-3-3 console configuration proposal...I feel like it would make the Excelsior and Galaxy-X mostly obsolete with that layout, and that would be really hurting those who already forked over the substantial cash for these ships.
3/3/3 is a bad layout anyway. The only real good layout that currently exists for a Fed Cruiser is 4/3/2 (Eng/Tac/Sci) which the Excelsior, Galaxy-X, Assault, Negh, and Vor'cha all share. That still won't step on the Excelsior's toes, nor the Galaxy-X though as they have a number of other advantages over the Odyssey.

Remember that the Excelsior is the fastest turning Fed Cruiser and the Odyssey is the slowest. The Odyssey has -5 engine power, and a turn rate of six (equalling the Explorations) as opposed to eight. The Exelsior also still has +5 weapons power over the Odyssey and transwarping.

The Galaxy-X, unlike the Odyssey, has cloaking and a Phaser Lance (a free Lance I might add, that it doesn't need to spend a console on). Again it also has +5 Engine and +5 Weapons power and the Gal-X can mount cannons (which a few builds have actually been able to make use of, even with it's turn rate).

The Galaxy-X and Excelsior are actually the least likely Federation Cruisers to be unseated.

Besides which, eventually all of these ships will be obsolete since Fleet Admiral and Dahar Master ranks are quite probably going to come with Tier Six ships according to established plans. So if you were expecting the substantial cash forked over for the Dreadnought and Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit to ensure that they'd stay top of the pile and a worthwhile choice... well, we knew that wasn't going to happen ages ago. And that's not even taking into account that Cryptic is trying to exist on microtransactions now and we've already been told to expect Negh'var retrofits and +1 Odysseys. So, yeah, you should probably get ready, because regardless of how this ship turns out you're probably going to have to buy new ones if you want the best ones out there... even well before T6 rears it's head.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorena
So you meen Ablative armor on a cruiser with 60k hull?
Ablative armor is only usable on one class of ship already.

In general, I was just thinking of the 3 science consoles (the T2-4 +1 ships) that can be equipped on "any science ship." (The Tier 1 special consoles can already be equipped on any ship.)

So that means:

Console - Universal - Photonic Displacer

Console - Universal - Tachyon Detection Field

Console - Universal - Photonic Shockwave Torpedo Launcher

(Apologies for the messy links. STO wiki never properly updated to reflect console powers.)

If they ever allow cross faction console purchases for people who bought KDF ships (this has been mentioned as an idea), that would also include the Subspace Jump Console, Aceton Assimilator, and Barrier Field Generator for people who purchased the appropriate KDF ships,
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
3/3/3 is a bad layout anyway. The only real good layout that currently exists for a Fed Cruiser is 4/3/2 (Eng/Tac/Sci) which the Excelsior, Galaxy-X, Assault, Negh, and Vor'cha all share. That still won't step on the Excelsior's toes, nor the Galaxy-X though as they have a number of other advantages over the Odyssey.

Remember that the Excelsior is the fastest turning Fed Cruiser and the Odyssey is the slowest. The Odyssey has -5 engine power, and a turn rate of six (equalling the Explorations) as opposed to eight. The Exelsior also still has +5 weapons power over the Odyssey and transwarping.

The Galaxy-X, unlike the Odyssey, has cloaking and a Phaser Lance (a free Lance I might add, that it doesn't need to spend a console on). Again it also has +5 Engine and +5 Weapons power and the Gal-X can mount cannons (which a few builds have actually been able to make use of, even with it's turn rate).

The Galaxy-X and Excelsior are actually the least likely Federation Cruisers to be unseated.

Besides which, eventually all of these ships will be obsolete since Fleet Admiral and Dahar Master ranks are quite probably going to come with Tier Six ships according to established plans. So if you were expecting the substantial cash forked over for the Dreadnought and Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit to ensure that they'd stay top of the pile and a worthwhile choice... well, we knew that wasn't going to happen ages ago. And that's not even taking into account that Cryptic is trying to exist on microtransactions now and we've already been told to expect Negh'var retrofits and +1 Odysseys. So, yeah, you should probably get ready, because regardless of how this ship turns out you're probably going to have to buy new ones if you want the best ones out there... even well before T6 rears it's head.
One more thing: I'm not disputing that sci-consoles need a buff and that Fed ships are generally underpowered, especially when comparing the synergy you can get out of console builds.

But the ability to equip a wider variety of power consoles at least allows for something halfway worthwhile to be slotted in the otherwise bad console slots.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-02-2012, 06:54 AM
how bout the Science Odyssey having a Commander Sci slot(or universal) and having a LtC Engineer boff slot? Makes no sense to my why I purchased it now that my Science has hit VA and I can't even use the Science side of this pack for her realistically(no GW3, I could use GW2 but what's the point?)

*Edit* This was in reference to the +1 Odyssey if that wasn't obvious. Just realized reading other posts that the +1 was talked about in a future tense.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Again, the Odyssey is a Cruiser, putting a Commander Science Station would be the same as going to the Long Range Retrofit and reducing the Turn rate by half and add 15,000 more Hull.

Giving it TacticaloOr Science Commander stations would simply oftest the already precarious balance.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-02-2012, 09:42 AM
[Rolls into the thread while activating Target Optics and unholstering the [Zombie Control Compression Pistol of Epicosity Mk XIV], shoots and vaporizes this exposed Zombie thread!]

This thread was raised from the dead (after no posts for 30 days or more) and it had to be put down.
Please remember to check the dates of threads; and if you find an old thread raised from the dead just report it and avoid posting in it.

Note that you're more than welcome to start a new thread on the topic (unless there is an existing thread on this topic that has been posted in within 30 days, in which case you can just continue to post in that thread)!

Cheers,

Alecto
Closed Thread