Lt. Commander
# 11
04-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Iíve love to see more ways to earn Proto Tech in STO.

I feel that our current STF vendor system is flawed.

EDC are the lowest form of the 3 Borg Currenciesí; however, it has the most purchasing power.

It would be nice if we could use our Rare and Proto Borg Salvage to buy more things like proto tech and doffs.

Rare Borg Doff = 20 EDC or 5 Rare Borg Salvage.

Very Rare Borg Doff = 40 EDC or 5 Proto Borg Salvage

Rare Borg Tech = 5 Rare Borg + 5 Proto Salvage or 40 EDC

Proto Borg Tech = 10 Rare Borg + 10 Proto Salvage or 80 EDC

We should be able to trade in 2 of the same Rare Borg Tech Drops for its Proto equitant.

Another thing that I always felt that our current STF vendor system lacks is the grand prize type item, something so cool all players would want to say that they have one.

What Iím talking about is a New Anti-Borg class vessel.

This vessel could be touted has the result of the coming together of Starfleet and KDF engineers to overcome the Borg threat.

This new vessel should come in 3 flavors so that all classes would be able to make use of it.

This new vessel should be purchasable via a combination of our current Borg currencies.

Example:

200 EDC + 50 Rare Borg Salvage + 25 Proto Borg Salvage

Adding a new vessel to our STF vendor would give all players something to shoot for and keep us grinding for something worthwhile, ship collectors would go crazy for something like this.

The new ship could have synergies with our current Borg equipment sets like the Retro Borg, M.A.C.O, Omega and Honor Guard.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
whatever the infected starbase is... just throw the borg npcs out... throw in some maco,omega and honor guard personnel... plus the good old tailor,exchange guy,mail guy and rapair/medic guys... a guy who sells hypos etc... leave the plasma on in the boss room so people can learn to jump and walaa bobs your uncle.
That's actually a pretty good idea...
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter2
k sence it is very hard for some players to get any salvage or tech after hours of grinding stf's how about this:

MK X: 20 EDC's, Common Tech
Mk XI: 40 EDC'S, 4 Rare salvage, Rare Tech
MK XII: 80 EDC's, 2 Prototype Salvage, Prototype Tech

just a thought
While I am completely in favor of a deterministic method of obtaining MK XII set items, the problem with your solution above is that it allows people to grind STFs on Normal for the MK XII.

The MK XII should be reserved for Elite STFs only.

Whether that requires another currency, or if they are able to separate the accolades creating one for Normal and one for Elite (and Elite could count for progress on both) - something would need to be added to ensure that MK XII requires completion on Elite.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Just based on what I have seen, the drop rates seem to be on the order of about one percent per game per person, which means that the developers are very unlikely to allow prototype tech to be sold for a mere 80 EDC. 100 Elite missions is on the order of 200+ EDC. Add to that the fact that in order to make it available for EDC at the current drop rate, it would probably be much greater if the prototype tech drop rates remain the same, because they will want the average EDC cost to far exceed the random chance cost.

That being said, I would appreciate them doing this, even if the prototype tech costs 500 or more EDC, simply because a certain percentage of the population will be in the bad tail of the distribution and no one should have to play 5000+ missions to get a set.

Maybe one day they might consider making it available for only 80 EDC, but it is very clear that they want it to be a lot rarer than that at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
While I am completely in favor of a deterministic method of obtaining MK XII set items, the problem with your solution above is that it allows people to grind STFs on Normal for the MK XII.

The MK XII should be reserved for Elite STFs only.

Whether that requires another currency, or if they are able to separate the accolades creating one for Normal and one for Elite (and Elite could count for progress on both) - something would need to be added to ensure that MK XII requires completion on Elite.
This, Make 20 Proto Salvages a Proto Tech... no way to get salvages except drops... but still the chance to get a proto salvage is 200 times the chance for a tech, realisticly 20 proto salvage is easyer to get then 1 tech, hell i had 60 last week, ive only found 1 proto tech
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-02-2012, 04:51 PM
They only give blue these days what is this ?
Playing for weeks now in elite but still have none purple EDC Salvage to turn in neither Equiqment tech to get Honor Guard stuff ........

DUH.............
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kirk
They only give blue these days what is this ?
Playing for weeks now in elite but still have none purple EDC Salvage to turn in neither Equiqment tech to get Honor Guard stuff ........

DUH.............
I would not expect to get a prototype tech drop with less than 50 elite missions and doing about 200 without a drop seems pretty common.

I have been playing Elite STFs now for at least 90 days and I still have yet to get one with well over 100 elite STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-02-2012, 06:38 PM
many a thread has suggested such a vendor system..however they are ignored.

Which is a darn shame. Lucky bag ships, yeah I dont have to opt into that...but proto tech being also a lucky bag situation is very very annoying to say the least.

I managed to get 2 galors from only 8 boxes...but after 100+ runs of infected elite cant get the mk xii tech. Strangely I wish my luck was the other way round tbh.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-03-2012, 03:30 PM
I really don't see what the issue is. The rarity of prototype tech gives you something to strive for in Elite STFs. In MMOs, nothing makes you feel better than getting an extremely rare drop. That's what loot is all about.

In the meantime, you can work on getting mk XI which is almost as good.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuneli
I really don't see what the issue is. The rarity of prototype tech gives you something to strive for in Elite STFs. In MMOs, nothing makes you feel better than getting an extremely rare drop. That's what loot is all about.

In the meantime, you can work on getting mk XI which is almost as good.
so when the guy next to you gets it on his very first run, that's supposed to make you feel good, when you've run well over 300?

the problem is not running it, its the absolute lack of any guarantee that you will get it, ever. Hard work is fine, but at some point it would be nice to know that all your hard work WILL pay off, with the current system, you cant' say that with certainty.