Lt. Commander
# 31
04-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorticusCryptic
Update:

Thanks in part to the information from this thread, we were able to track down a problem with the way Power Insulators were interacting with incoming powers. Resists to Energy Drains appear to work as intended, but resists against Shield Drains were spotty and inconsistent. Once this fix is tested internally, we'll be able to put get it into your hands in the near future, and then work on balancing the effects of these types of abilities with the available resistances.
so whats our next focus feedback target?
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716
so whats our next focus feedback target?
Transphasics and Chroniton projectiles I'd go into more detail but I don't want to push too hard on the subject I just want the 2 items mentioned to have a use that I have in all the others or atleast see a use of. If the time comes where it is discussed I do have some ideas how the balancing of these two can open up some doors for some additional ships that may have been forgotten that revolve around these two types of torpedoes that could make money for the c-store as well as some future STF's or Fleet Actions. I hope it is next on the focus though
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-03-2012, 03:54 PM
the entire way torpedoes work needs changing, currently the most worthless thing in the game is a cruiser fireing an unbuffed torpedo, that is the opposite of canon.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
the entire way torpedoes work needs changing, currently the most worthless thing in the game is a cruiser fireing an unbuffed torpedo, that is the opposite of canon.
Couldn't agree with you more
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Got a lot on my plate at the moment. Feel free to continue banging away on resists and I'll try and put up another Focused Feedback when I have some time to outline the scenario that needs data gathered.

Won't be dealing with something like Torpedo functionality for the time being though. That'd be a fundamental redesign. Will be focusing on polish and bug fixes with these threads.
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Got a lot on my plate at the moment. Feel free to continue banging away on resists and I'll try and put up another Focused Feedback when I have some time to outline the scenario that needs data gathered.

Won't be dealing with something like Torpedo functionality for the time being though. That'd be a fundamental redesign. Will be focusing on polish and bug fixes with these threads.
oh of course, just saying. keep up the good work!
Lt. Commander
# 37
04-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Let me phrase it another way, then...

"Shield" Damage is simply a type of damage, just like "Phaser" or "Kinetic."

Many damage types, such as each individual energy type, Kinetic, Physical, and a few others, are frequently thrown into categories that cover multiple resistances. "All Energy" is an example of such a category, and covers all 6 primary energy weapon types in addition to Feedback Pulse, Electrical, and Proton damage.

Shield Damage is not included in any categories, and is handled exclusively as a separate type of damage. The only modifiers that change its values should be Flow Capacitors (offense) and Power Insulators (defense).

Shield Damage and Shield Drain are mutually interchangeable terms in STO -- they work in the exact same manner under the hood, by directly changing the available pool of Shield Hitpoints. The different terminology is typically used to separate instant effects (damage) from periodic effects (drain).

Hope that clarifies it.
This does make it a lot clearer. Therefore let me say this, I am concerned that allowing power insulators to resist shield drains may turn out to be problematic. There are already several ways to harden your shields against these attacks, such as EPtS, TSS and ES. I can't see adding an additional, passive 75% resist can be a good thing for the game, or for balance. As it stands, sci's are all but useless in any area where resists are working.

Can we leave shield drains alone? Or reduce the magnitude of passive resists? Power drains, I can understand, since only cruisers usually have the luxury of putting enough powers/batteries on their ship to counter them. Shield resists are mandatory on any PvP build and lumping CPB and Tac Beam in with energy drains means that shield drain abilities will be completely nullified by ensign engineering skills and resists. This just doesn't sound good, doesn't sound good at all.

Then you just need to adjust some things like Tet Glider and Tachyon Drones to balance them against Active resists only, ie, reduce their base effect to a reasonable level. Tet glider would be fixed by bringing it down to only 1 facing affected, or leave it draining all 4, but bring the base down to 25 or so. Tachyon Drones need to equip no more than a TacBeam1 and their HP should be cut by 50-75%... under the scenario where shield drains are immune to power insulators.

Also, CPB is currently listed as an Exotic Particle attack, not a power drain attack. It is modified by Particle Generators not Flow Capacitors, so this may be why the resist isn't working, and is definitely why I believe it should be immune to power insulators.
Lt. Commander
# 38
04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr1580 View Post
Can we leave shield drains alone? Or reduce the magnitude of passive resists? Power drains, I can understand, since only cruisers usually have the luxury of putting enough powers/batteries on their ship to counter them. Shield resists are mandatory on any PvP build and lumping CPB and Tac Beam in with energy drains means that shield drain abilities will be completely nullified by ensign engineering skills and resists. This just doesn't sound good, doesn't sound good at all.

Also, CPB is currently listed as an Exotic Particle attack, not a power drain attack. It is modified by Particle Generators not Flow Capacitors, so this may be why the resist isn't working, and is definitely why I believe it should be immune to power insulators.
Agree with you and that is my fear.
CPB, after all the nerf scie resive, is the only power I find of some use.

Anyone has tested how CPB behave now on tribble?
Lt. Commander
# 39
04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't see a need to nerf change the function of CPB with the exception of possibly adding a brief window of immunity. Assuming there isn't actively.

I was in a match last week with 3 Kar'fi's with siphons, tach drones, and skul fighters all running CPB3. It
nuked the entire teams shields. I didn't have time to see if it was stacking, was it the drones, or the siphons
that were the biggest killer. No time to function with that type of situation with a poorly organized pug group.

My thoughts overall was it was a cheesy team setup. I try not to complain about how a match works out, but I
don't care to get nuked in 2 seconds mainly from pets and stacking shield damage. At least 5 seconds of
surviving please
Lt. Commander
# 40
04-04-2012, 12:53 PM
yaaa klingons that just spam tach and syphon drones have made pvping with them impossible right now. sadly, im not queing with them until those stupid drones stop instadraining your shields and energy levels. no defensive measures are effective when theres 3 carriers spaming and 2 bops to 1 shot you once disabled.

everything carrier related is in shambles right now, anyone who can help fix that problem needs to drop everything and be working on it.
Closed Thread