Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-04-2012, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
You're missing the point. They can ask someone to use their material, as they did Mark with the Vesta and the Merian. If I post a ship to the forum and DStahl sees it and likes it Cryptic can ask me to use it, and ask CBS if they can use it. That's not the same as taking fan submissions.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-04-2012, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
You're missing the point. They can ask someone to use their material, as they did Mark with the Vesta and the Merian. If I post a ship to the forum and DStahl sees it and likes it Cryptica can ask me to use it, and ask CBS if they can use it. That's not the same as taking fan submissions.
I find that very unrealistic.
Why has this never happened if it was so easy?
It took them the better part of a year just to get the Vesta in, which was already used in SOTL 2010.
It still takes time to get the other Rademaker ships in even though they were licensed as well.
How much resources would it take to get this rolling when the only ship currently considered are all from recent licensed works?
And where exactly is the difference between an unlicense ship displayed on the forums and one submitted?
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-04-2012, 05:44 AM
Quote:
I find that very unrealistic.
Why has this never happened if it was so easy?
It took them the better part of a year just to get the Vesta in, which was already used in SOTL 2010.
It still takes time to get the other Rademaker ships in even though they were licensed as well.
How much resources would it take to get this rolling when the only ship currently considered are all from recent licensed works?
And where exactly is the difference between an unlicense ship displayed on the forums and one submitted?
I didn't say it was "easy." I simply said it can be done. It's not easy even with Mark. We've known that CBS approved the Vesta and Merian for some months now and Cryptic and Mark still haven't come to a licensing agreement. So it's clearly not easy. But an unknown probably doesn't want as much money as Mark does either, so it might be easier with an unknown.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-04-2012, 05:46 AM
Quote:
I simply said it can be done.
The facts are pretty simple: It won't be done. Especially not with the Exaclibur that Cosmic is suggesting it can be done with. The Vesta is not what Cosmic suggests it is ... a fan-made ship.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Besides, the fact we already have an Excalibur class in this game should be a clear hint how interested anyone involved in the (soft-) canon part of Star Trek is in this ship.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Besides, the fact we already have an Excalibur class in this game should be a clear hint how interested anyone involved in the (soft-) canon part of Star Trek is in this ship.
That's what I said above. There's already an Excalibur in the game so they're not going to add a second. But that doesn't mean they can't eventually add someone else's ship to the game down the road.

Heck, there were a lot of Perpetual designs I liked that still aren't in the game, and some of the runner-ups in the F contest were also nice. I'm all for more design choices - and would really like to see more 25th Century designs rather then all the focus on older ships.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Now if they had the Legacy games "Enterprise" era Battleship in the game, that wouldn't hurt my feelings. I liked the looks of that one.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Quote:
That's what I said above. There's already an Excalibur in the game so they're not going to add a second. But that doesn't mean they can't eventually add someone else's ship to the game down the road.

Heck, there were a lot of Perpetual designs I liked that still aren't in the game, and some of the runner-ups in the F contest were also nice. I'm all for more design choices - and would really like to see more 25th Century designs rather then all the focus on older ships.
Cryptic owns the Perpetual material while all the submissions for the Enterprise-F contest are owned by CBS (and I seem to recall Cryptic intends to use some of those for other ships in the future) so the former is possible and the latter is at least likely.
But it's not the same as ship x from random mod y.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-04-2012, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
Now if they had the Legacy games "Enterprise" era Battleship in the game, that wouldn't hurt my feelings. I liked the looks of that one.
Dstahl said in one of the "Ask Cryptic"s that they can't reference other games.
Otherwise I'd love to see the Emperor Class from Klingon Academy ingame.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Dstahl said in one of the "Ask Cryptic"s that they can't reference other games.
Otherwise I'd love to see the Emperor Class from Klingon Academy ingame.
I understand that, it was just a lament.: