Lt. Commander
# 1 Mother of All AMD/ATI issue
03-30-2012, 01:13 PM
I currently have a Radeon HD 6770. Every now and then, the game will COMPLETELY black out. I mean the screen looks like it refreshes, and then the mouse gets bigger and then blackness. I first noticed it in the patch before this latest big one. I thought it was a fluke, but my fears were reaffirmed with the latest patch and no fix in sight. I'll try the 12.4 beta and all of the associated stuffs that go with it and then report back.

To temporarily remedy the situation, I am forced to kill the process in task manager and restart my game client.

Is anybody else getting this issue or know of a fix?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardigm
I currently have a Radeon HD 6770. Every now and then, the game will COMPLETELY black out. I mean the screen looks like it refreshes, and then the mouse gets bigger and then blackness. I first noticed it in the patch before this latest big one. I thought it was a fluke, but my fears were reaffirmed with the latest patch and no fix in sight. I'll try the 12.4 beta and all of the associated stuffs that go with it and then report back.

To temporarily remedy the situation, I am forced to kill the process in task manager and restart my game client.

Is anybody else getting this issue or know of a fix?
move your ship/toon forward or back see of that helps(camara error) if not, i have seen this on my nvidia and amd systems rarely not sure why.....i chalk it up to lack of proper testing and debuging by cryptic....
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-31-2012, 12:54 AM
is this during the loading of the game, ie when you first start it up and it goes through the logo screens before the character select screen; or is this right after loading into a zone map? if its the latter then as AshenTech suggested just mover your ship/character to help draw the area properly, if former, I would just close the proccesse and relode the client again as both I think are just breaks in rendering properly.

Mabye cliff can help sort this out if it becomes a big issue for players, till then im sure It's on thier list of fixes just not at the top of the list once known.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-31-2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xth3xr34p3rx View Post
is this during the loading of the game, ie when you first start it up and it goes through the logo screens before the character select screen; or is this right after loading into a zone map? if its the latter then as AshenTech suggested just mover your ship/character to help draw the area properly, if former, I would just close the proccesse and relode the client again as both I think are just breaks in rendering properly.

Mabye cliff can help sort this out if it becomes a big issue for players, till then im sure It's on thier list of fixes just not at the top of the list once known.
Maybe a little more description is required...

It started to do it when I would first load a zone. As-in, after the loading screen, I would be in DS9 or ESD or any other zone and then I would begin to move and then Blackness.

Now here's the problem which leads me to think it's not entirely my drivers' fault. If anybody has loaded up AutoCAD or 3DSMAX or any program where you can have your adapter render absolute black on your screen, you know what the darkest black your adapter and monitor can do. When I'm in the black screen from this game, it's NOT that absolute blackness. So I know that the card has some code to render, just not making the full pathway of all of the code to be displayed correctly. I've seen in other loading moments of the game render those absolute black areas I'm talking about, however; this issue is different.

Maybe I can run FAPS or something to upload somewhere to show everyone... Anybody have a free or demo version of video recording software that writes to a file on the HDD?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-01-2012, 09:02 AM
What version of the drivers are you currently using?

I may not be related, but as mentioned in the sticky in this forums, http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=4130721 there's something wrong with drivers 12.2 and later that so far hasn't been fixed yet. It's causing some wrong screen renders, and might be related to your issue.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
ATI/AMD has updated their drivers. I upgraded mine to 12.3 and it seemed to fix the mainstay of the problem. HOWEVER, I still have the screen every now and then turn completely black as I'm just walking around or flying in Sector Space for about a second, then begins to render again. 12.3 didn't completely fix the issue, but it is definitely playable now. I never had this issue - ever - before they patched...