Lt. Commander
In honor of Klingon Awareness Week, the Gates of Sto'vo'kor warriors sit down to talk with Executive Producer Dan Stahl about the Empire.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Gates of Sto'vo'kor recently intercepted a couple of communiques from Dan Stahl, the Executive Producer of Star Trek Online. The first is a written Q & A Session with Dan. Give it a read here.

The other is our newest episode, Subspace Messages. G'hargh picked up an old subspace transmitter and while attempting to use it to intercept Federation subspace chatter, he finds instead the Dan Stahl audio interview. Give it a listen and talk about it in this thread or send us an email with your comments to hosts@gatesofstovokor.com.

Finally, we would like to thank Dan Stahl for coming on the show, answering some of our questions about the past, present, and future of the Klingon faction, and lending us your voice for the episode. You're welcome to come back any time you have something to share with us about the KDF or to even just play a role. How's your Nausicaan by the way

Qa'Pla!

Korrath
Warrior of Sto'vo'kor

------

UPDATE: Sorry for the inconvenice. We've been experiencing technical difficulties. The issues are being worked on. In the meantime here a back up of the episode from our sister site http://k-l-i-n-g-o-n-s.com/gos/
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Qapla' ! .... Glory and honor!

.... BTW ... let me know of I need to smack the subspace relay a few more times for good measure.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I still maintain Cryptic has good intentions for the Klingon faction, including future content and Foundry map/asset additions.

GREAT job, GatesofStovokor.com! Qapla!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem View Post
Gates of Sto'vo'kor recently intercepted a couple of communiques from Dan Stahl, the Executive Producer of Star Trek Online. The first is a written Q & A Session with Dan. Give it a read here.
Thanks so much for providing the written interview, too!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Thanks so much for providing the written interview, too!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
We of the Klingon Empire believe in open and honest communication. We hide very little .... Except G'hargh when he has gone belly-up in the bloodwine barrel.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-04-2012, 02:18 PM
You should have asked: have you ever seen a faction as poorly done in an mmo as the kdf?

So nothing new about the kdf? I understand what Dan is saying but I disagree.
Factions in all games even out. It didn't take CBS 's numbers to realize that the fed faction would be filled first.

And do you think **** should have decreased the content of the lesser factions?
If Dan wants to focus on end game content, I respect that.
But the kdf needs some respect.
At minimun A kdf wrapper for the website. A kdf history perspective of the "road to..,"

I get he will never play the faction but others do.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Good interview. I could have done without the static and klingon conversation between questions though. Dan's mic/pc/internet/voice comms have enough problems :p

As far as the faction agnostic content, I think it's great to share the love and kill two birds with one stone, but I've got to say that 90% of what's been offered up so far in this department feels so wrong playing through as a Klingon. I think more could be done, particularly with dialogue, to deliver an experience that fits the KDF better.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
You should have asked: have you ever seen a faction as poorly done in an mmo as the kdf?

So nothing new about the kdf? I understand what Dan is saying but I disagree.
Factions in all games even out. It didn't take CBS 's numbers to realize that the fed faction would be filled first.

And do you think **** should have decreased the content of the lesser factions?
If Dan wants to focus on end game content, I respect that.
But the kdf needs some respect.
At minimun A kdf wrapper for the website. A kdf history perspective of the "road to..,"

I get he will never play the faction but others do.
Here are my thoughts from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
To give you my personal 2 GPLs, Nagus, I suspect there's a gulf between what you want to hear and the truth. As much as it would be cool to have Klingon content from the Academy all the way to Dahar Master, I suspect that it will be unlikely that we'll see that in the near future, largely becuase the faction doesn't have that big of a draw.

But to preempt any "chicken and egg" arguments, I will simply ask, rhetorically: with all of the various Star Trek series that have come out between TOS and now, we have there never been any movies or series based on the Klingons? Because people don't watch Star Trek for the Klingons. Similarly, most players don't play STO for the Klingons, or the Romulans, etc.: they play it for the UFP.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
Here are my thoughts from another thread:
and here are my thoughts
1) If someone says X but people here Y and say Y over and over again on the boards and doesn't correct, that person is called a Hack where I come from. I am not sure what it is called elsewhere, but where I come from that is what it is called.
2) You could argue the chicken and the egg scenario all you want. I am just saying that in every single MMO do you think they should have just not done the other factions because it wasn't going to be as popular? Imagine ANY small time MMO developer doing that.
3) Dstahl doesn't like the kdf being compared to the horde, but how is it any different? ******** IP is about the humans, and then the alliance. When the game came out, yes, the population really skewed towards the alliance. But it evened out. CBS is confusing IP statistics against MMO statistics.

Now, I agree that if all of the KDF wishes came true and they completely evening out the content in the factions by year 3, the kdf and feds population will NO LONGER even out. It is too late. People have too much investing in there guild and character to start over. I get it. Feds who get there frieinds to join, will be feds. It snowballs from there.

I agree that making big systems is the way to go. I always have. A Guild/Starbase/PVP system is the way forward.
But give the KDF the respect of being an MMO faction. Give them equal customization with character and ship.
When PVP comes out, Give them a bit more of an interesting slant toward it than the feds so it isn't a 100 fed Tacs in Cruisers vs a BOP like Kerrat always is.