Lt. Commander
# 41
03-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
There are games that have been trying to fight the AFK issue for 5 years or more... they're still losing that fight.

It's a shame, it's annoying... hey, now I've gone for a smoke in Ker'rat - but Ker'rat is a world of difference to an actual Arena/Capture and Hold scenario.

The behavior of certain players will force others to pre-form PUGs, join fleets, etc - in the hopes that if they go in with a group - then at least they can count on that group not being AFK.

Then again, the behavior of certain players will sometimes lead to the forming of AFK groups.
those game's programmers must be idiots. votekick has worked for decades and the fact that it requires a majority makes it so that its benefits outweigh it's abuse risks.
Lt. Commander
# 42
04-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post

Point being, sitting around AFK in PvP should not only not earn you Dilithium, it should cost you Dilithium too. That would put a damper on going AFK. Doesn't mean they would make themselves useful, or that they wouldn't fly away from combat like little girly dolls, but at least they wouldn't be able to leave their keyboard and still collect Dilithium.
Not thats an idea but how to code it ingame.
Lt. Commander
# 43
04-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
How about deducting 50 Dilithium per minute of AFK in a PvP zone? If the fool sits there AFK for 15 minutes, he loses up to 750 Dilithium even if it's right out of his personal balance.

Or should it be even higher than that? How long is a normal match and how much Dilithium do you earn on average?

Point being, sitting around AFK in PvP should not only not earn you Dilithium, it should cost you Dilithium too. That would put a damper on going AFK. Doesn't mean they would make themselves useful, or that they wouldn't fly away from combat like little girly dolls, but at least they wouldn't be able to leave their keyboard and still collect Dilithium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Not thats an idea but how to code it ingame.
Well, that's really the million $$$ question, isn't it?

The game already has some concept of an AFK timer, or they wouldn't be able to log you out for inactivity. So maybe that could be leveraged. It might need to be tracked in increments longer than one minute of time.

They'd also have to balance the loss vs reward ratio. The point is to penalize afk farmers, not keep you from taking a quick bathroom break or grabbing a drink.

I personally have not played STO PvP in a very long time, so I am totally ignorant of what the rewards are these days. But let's say that an average PvP match got you 1000 Dil for 30 minutes of play. I don't know if that's a realistic number or not.

Given my example above, if someone went AFK 15 minutes out of a 30 minute match, he would get 1000 - 750 = 250 Dilithium. If he was AFK for 20 minutes, he'd get nothing. If he was AFK for the whole match, it would cost him 500 Dilithium.