Lt. Commander
# 11
04-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
You should have asked: have you ever seen a faction as poorly done in an mmo as the kdf?
The Cryptic STO KDF bashing needs to stop. The interview by GatesofStovokor.com with Dan Stahl addressed some fantastic points about the in-game history of the KDF, plus how Mr. Stahl has continued to champion KDF faction growth.

Yes, we're customers (of Cryptic/Perfect World) by playing STO. And, yes, the customer base is clamoring for more content. Based on their business model, their metrics, their budgets, I think Cryptic/Perfect World is making progress. (Albeit slow progress.) I REALLY hope the hard work by the STO community on Klingon Awareness Week #2 gives Mr. Stahl some SOLID metrics to demonstrate player commitment (and sales revenues) for Klingon faction development to Perfect World executive management.

Let's hope players stay engaged with KDF play after KAW #2 is over. Maybe "Alpha" will draw even more players to the KDF side. Time will tell. And if KDF players still around as KDF toons, then Mr. Stahl has a better argument for more dev resources/budgeting.

Quote:
I get he will never play the faction but others do.
Mr. Stahl clearly states that he has played STO as a Klingon, most recently on the Tribble test server. Maybe you mean "play the faction" in a different context. (?)
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-04-2012, 06:09 PM
After reading the transcript of the show it appears that nothing has changed. Sounds like Dan trotted out the same old tired and busted arguments of staffing issues, money, faction population size... etc etc.

I think the overall telling statement was when he was asked if he played KDF and he replied, "Only occasionally when I want to test some new content. Like most of our players, I prefer to play my Federation character.." This speaks volumes to me of the underlying attitude and assumptions by management.

Sigh. I'm no doomsayer or conspiracy believer in terms of Cryptic and I certainly don't believe they hate KDF players. I know some of the individual Devs have really gone out of their way to try and get things into the game for us. However after watching events unfold over time since launch and then seeing this interview... it is obvious that at a management level Cryptic's prevailing attitude of apathy towards the KDF simply has not changed, we'll always be an afterthought at best. I would love to be proven wrong in the future, but I gave up holding my breath for it long ago.

"History of the KDF & Cryptic"
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroIce
After reading the transcript of the show it appears that nothing has changed. Sounds like Dan trotted out the same old tired and busted arguments of staffing issues, money, faction population size... etc etc.

I think the overall telling statement was when he was asked if he played KDF and he replied, "Only occasionally when I want to test some new content. Like most of our players, I prefer to play my Federation character.." This speaks volumes to me of the underlying attitude and assumptions by management.

Sigh. I'm no doomsayer or conspiracy believer in terms of Cryptic and I certainly don't believe they hate KDF players. I know some of the individual Devs have really gone out of their way to try and get things into the game for us. However after watching events unfold over time since launch and then seeing this interview... it is obvious that at a management level Cryptic's prevailing attitude of apathy towards the KDF simply has not changed, we'll always be an afterthought at best. I would love to be proven wrong in the future, but I gave up holding my breath for it long ago.

"History of the KDF & Cryptic"
Just a note ... The written questions are what he supplied to us before the interview took place and are well worth reading.

The actual interview went candid (thanks for that, DStahl) with him doing an excellent job giving us a little deeper thoughts and views.

Worth reading the written Q & A and definitely worth listening to. ... but suggest both.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-05-2012, 12:06 AM
I can't see/hear the interview because, well, the Gates are broken apparently.

However I can say this:

I started KDF Awareness Week as what was supposed to be an Annual event last July.

I did so because a Mod edited one of my posts and gave me a warning for saying "KDF players need to stop whining about lack of content and do something to make the faction more populated and worthwhile to develop content for."

I got mad about the warning because the Mod had no idea what was going on with that statement. So I set out to generate more attention. It was a moderate success due almost entirely to a couple of mentions on podcasts (like STOked and I think at least one other podcast mentioned it last year) and more so due to the dedication of those who volunteered their time and knowledge.

The KDF needs more attention from both the Devs and the Fanbase. Alpha is a step in the right direction and it's one more KDF-only mission we have now that we had before. Even if we only get drops, you get enough drops you have an ocean.

Unfortunately this unauthorized sequel derailed my plans for another KAW this July so I'm looking into developing another, similar, event to take it's place around the same time that will draw attention to the KDF and maybe get more people into it for a weekend event.

I will agree that it's a certain amount of Chicken and egg involved but I do believe that the more the community draws players into the KDF and the more missions Cryptic adds just for the KDF (like the new Alpha mission which sounds really cool) the closer we'll get to having "Two True Factions".

I think they have some terrible leadership at the executive level over all the production teams and so they're obviously being overstretched and forced to NASA this game and the others they're running/developing (faster, cheaper...). Hopefully, the higher ups will realize once Neverwinter is finally released that they can't keep making more games without damaging their reputation to the point that no one buys anything with their name on it because of the assumption that it's hardly finished at launch (relatively speaking in the world of MMOs of course). Then and only then will they dedicate resources to getting a roof on their house before that start pouring the foundations of another house...at that time I hope to see a fully fleshed out Klingon Faction.

With more PvP options (Territory Control), a new STF (WTH is Into the Hive?!) and Fleet Starbases that require a large time committment and a new Crafting system I think they'd have enough to keep Feds busy while they go nose to the grindstone on KDF content. It doesn't even have to be as flashy as the Fed stuff or this Alpha mission. Even some basic simple additional Raiding missions in other sectors or infiltration missions or something would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-05-2012, 12:19 AM
All of this publicity must have crashed the Gates Of StovoKor website!!!!!!!!!!

Oops! Google Chrome could not find gatesofstovokor.com
Try reloading: gatesofstovokor.*com
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-05-2012, 02:42 AM
It's also down for me as well.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-05-2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-A-T-H-F-I-N-D-E-R
G'hargh when he has gone belly-up in the bloodwine barrel.
If the bar would make me a tub big enough for 7, I would spend my days in a bath of Blood Wine and become the pickled Klingon.

[quote]
Quote:
You should have asked: have you ever seen a faction as poorly done in an mmo as the kdf?
Why? He would not have answered such a question, just as he has never answered such a question. We asked what we thought would be answered with as little political-ease as possible. I actually learned more than I expected and came away from it a little less bitter but no less sad.

Quote:
So nothing new about the kdf? I understand what Dan is saying but I disagree.
No. We will continue to have to wait and watch the KDF grow slowly over a long period of time. I understand what DStahl has siad as well and garnered more hope from it than I had before the interview started, but as I stated above we still have a long wait ahead of us before we see a level of gameplay we would like for the KDF.
Instead of "chicken and the egg" the term should really be "the KDF and the Fed". As Dstahl pointed out in the interview, we KDF fans and our faction fell victom to a lack of time and a resource crunch in the very begining, before STO was even released, and have been playing catch-up ever since under the blade of damocles that is "needed revenue stream".
It did hurt the faction and many fans left then and many left afterwards over time, but we have gotten better over time and it seems time is the only thing that will see us get better as the game progresses.
We are the unwilling creature caught in a trap of Cryptics own devising but I would rather have what we have now and at least a hope for the future than no KDF at all..
So now we wait and see how long it takes Cryptic to fill the missing pieces in and hope we as a fanbase do not completely disapeer in the meantime.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
Good interview. I could have done without the static and klingon conversation between questions though. Dan's mic/pc/internet/voice comms have enough problems :p
The static and popping was a by-product of what medium we used to record so we came up with an episode setting that used it. As well we at GoS are not a talk show normally but a drama. I personally would have prefered that DStahl came on the show and played a Character of his own choosing and had a little more fun with it, maybe relaxed a little and answered our questions in said character. Still it was a new experience and an honor to have the EP on the show and I enjoyed it no less for how it came to fruition.

Quote:
As far as the faction agnostic content, I think it's great to share the love and kill two birds with one stone, but I've got to say that 90% of what's been offered up so far in this department feels so wrong playing through as a Klingon. I think more could be done, particularly with dialogue, to deliver an experience that fits the KDF better.
I agree. A better solution to dialouge tracking that gives the player a sense of immersion would be excellent. The problem evidently lies in how to do that dialouge tree that hits not just the fact that one is KDF or fed but also the individual races within the factions. Not all KDF are Klingons and not all Klingons are brusque and caustic in speech.
I still agree though and as much as I enjoy playing new content, it does dampen the mood when an NPC sounds more like the represenative of you side of the gameplay than you as the player get to sound.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-05-2012, 05:58 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
I started KDF Awareness Week as what was supposed to be an Annual event last July.
We could use more than one awareness week style event in my opinion. maybe Blasten_blaster would relenquish the name to you again and we could hold another one in JUly?
KAW2 alpha and KAW2 omega?
The begining and the end of getting to know the Klingons?

Quote:
The KDF needs more attention from both the Devs and the Fanbase. Alpha is a step in the right direction and it's one more KDF-only mission we have now that we had before. Even if we only get drops, you get enough drops you have an ocean.
I agree. It seems that drops are all we will see and I can now live with that as hopefully overtime the faction will grow to cover the what,why's and where's of how the KDF fits into STO.
My many heartfelt thanks to all those Devs that have worked to help us grow in the last 2 years to become more than we started as and please keep the work comming so that the KDF can take its full stance within STO.

Quote:
I will agree that it's a certain amount of Chicken and egg involved but I do believe that the more the community draws players into the KDF and the more missions Cryptic adds just for the KDF (like the new Alpha mission which sounds really cool) the closer we'll get to having "Two True Factions".
I agree, the closer we get to two whole factions the better the game will become, even if half of the playerbase can not see it from inside thier own forest of content.
Then again I have always hoped and seen the future of STO as a multifactional game with the KDF, feds and Romulans as the big 3 involved in the storyline to allow the players to enjoy not just playing the faction they like best but being able to see the mindset and PoV of those they may know little about and possibly finding enjoyment in a little alt creation.
Here's to hoping the recent opening of STO into the EU draws many of the Klingon fanclubs that exist there and breathes new life and see a return of some of those clubs that left in the early days due to a lack of attention back into the Empire we love and enjoy.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-05-2012, 07:23 AM
[quote=Roach;4141990]
Quote:

I agree, the closer we get to two whole factions the better the game will become, even if half of the playerbase can not see it from inside thier own forest of content.
Then again I have always hoped and seen the future of STO as a multifactional game with the KDF, feds and Romulans as the big 3 involved in the storyline to allow the players to enjoy not just playing the faction they like best but being able to see the mindset and PoV of those they may know little about and possibly finding enjoyment in a little alt creation..
even the village idiot can figure that out.
Which is why game deverlopers would never ever have the idea to release a broken faction and keep it that way.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
It's also down for me as well.
Same. And im using Firefox.