Lt. Commander
# 1411
04-04-2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
You've kinda made my point for me. THERE IS NO CANON AS FAR AS RANGE AND DISTANCE ARE CONCERNED. Didn't I mention that? The game designers HAD to make some stuff up.

They made an aesthetic choice. Perfect? No. Maybe not. But at least they TRIED.

Fine. So if you want to interact with a space object you have to be right on top of it. Who's to say Geordi or data was doing an "interact with object" and not offering a "popup dialog" on a "reach marker"?

Look, I love the idea of two ships blasting away at each other from so far away they barely see one another as anything more than pinpoints of light. I'm a huge classic Traveller fan. But compare the distances above to the shots in Wrath of Khan where the two ships were practically smashing into each other. The devs had to make some choices and they chose, not surprisingly, to go with the more graphically exciting approach of having the ships at relatively close quarters. I don't see how that makes it somehow a betrayal to the spirit of the franchise.
This was your response when I posted several scripts from movies and shows.

Here you even capitalized the entire sentence. You challenged me to find it when I have consistently said there is canon that shows ranges GREATER than 6km for scans and 10km for weapons.

cont'd from last post to do challenge.

Challenge given -- challenge accepted and shown.

Or does your lack of English not understand what greater than means again?

Again, canon shows the ranges are GREATER THAN 6km for scans and 10km for weapons. The devs did grossly small numbers according to canon.
Lt. Commander
# 1412
04-04-2012, 06:26 AM
The only MMO with a worthwhile ďendgameĒ on the market right now is EVE Online. It has problems that will always keep it relegated to the role of a niche product though. Itís also one of a VERY few games that heavily reward long term subscribers through its actual play mechanics (skill system) which leads to a surprisingly high retention rate. Perhaps, industry best... Shame itís such a griefer haven now.

SWTOR is a successful MMO in the modern sense. Youíre not expected to stick around and play it for more than a few months and then return for content updates. Thatís been true for most MMO releases during the past several years.

I played three characters to cap in SWTOR. I canít imagine doing it again no matter the story lines. I donít care if they release new content. Itís because the actual game play doesnít hold up as fun over time. Same is true of PVP. Of special note, I refuse to discuss Illium. Itís one of the worst MMO ideas / design implementations in a modern MMO.

Basically, I had fun with it for a little while and decided to move on. I canít call it an awful game. I can only compare it to an average girl that under dresses for sex appeal rather than a natural beauty with personality. Thatís a sad note though for the best launch (financially speaking) ever and perhaps the most expensive MMO game of all time.

I wiah I could make my own MMORPG lol...
Lt. Commander
# 1413
04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
This was your response when I posted several scripts from movies and shows.

Here you even capitalized the entire sentence. You challenged me to find it when I have consistently said there is canon that shows ranges GREATER than 6km for scans and 10km for weapons.

cont'd from last post to do challenge.

Challenge given -- challenge accepted and shown.

Or does your lack of English not understand what greater than means again?

Again, canon shows the ranges are GREATER THAN 6km for scans and 10km for weapons. The devs did grossly small numbers according to canon.
You're full of crap. That doesn't say ANY SUCH THING. All it says is what I've said already a dozen times. The canon you keep refering to doesn't exist because, as I said in a PREVIOUS post...

"Star Trek is ALWAYS talking about "long range" scans and "short range" scans. Just because the interact distance for "short range scans" is limited to a few miles doesn't mean mission designers can't (and don't) let you get mission information from scanners from whatever distance they want.

"Star Trek has no canon for ranges or distances. The game had to make up a few things to be playable. As far as diversions from canon goes scanner distance is the least of them.

"But even if they don't stick to the letter of canon, they at least (usually) try to adhere to the spirit of it. It's certainly no "Bridge Commander", but they did about as well as could be expected considering the medium."

It is implicit in this post not only that scanners CAN be used at ranges greater than 6km, but that they ARE used in this way. Since you clearly don't bother to listen to other people before shooting off your mouth I've bolded the relevant sentence in the hopes you might at least read that. It is also implicit in this sentence that the ranges in the game ARE diversions from canon AND that there are many other diversions from canon in the game.

And BTW, Scanner ranges in this game ARE NOT limited to 6km. As I've become more accustomed to this game I've noticed that...

1. Scanners are able to detect interactive objects across an entire space map. Sensors do not offer detailed information on these items (unless the mission designer wants them to in which case we can use pop up dialogs and place markers to offer additional information), but can lead you to anomalies and interactive objects over ANY distance on a tactical map.

2. Scanners on the area (overland/strategic/warp or whatever you want to call them) maps can detect enemy encounters (fleets, if you will) from an entire sector away and can discern details (ie, the type of encounter or other players' ships) from distances over 2 LY. This is a distance in excess of 20 trillion km, so your myopic interpretation of a 6km game limit to scanner ranges is just stupid.

Of course what really irks me is that you're clearly more familiar with the game mechanics than I am, so you either already knew this and were just looking to start trouble (ie, a troll) or you've been playing this game all this time and never noticed this before (ie, an idiot).

Anyway, whether you're a total idiot or you're a troll, you're certainly a complete *** and I'm done feeding you.
Lt. Commander
# 1414
04-04-2012, 09:02 AM
There is canon in a LOT of scripts from movies and tv that shows CANON is they can scan further than 6km and fire further than 10km. PERIOD. You won't accept that still. I am not going to read that wall of text. (edit: first paragraph is why I stopped)

You don't understand the term "greater than" apparently.

I have always said "greater than 6km and 10km for firing". And the tv shows and movies have shown this to be true as the scripts I reprinted shows. thus it's canon the ranges are more than 6km and 10km.
Lt. Commander
# 1415
04-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Any news on a space expansion?
Lt. Commander
# 1416
04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
For TOR, none that I can see...but....go on the site and look up the new droid mini quests in update 1.2... :p
Lt. Commander
# 1417
04-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
There's a vote on the TOR official website about what your dream version of TOR would be. 3D space battles is one of the options, as well as capital ship battles
Lt. Commander
# 1418
04-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Welp I hit level cap for a a Mercenary Bounty Hunter. And I do want to play more. So I went to Swtor and looked to see if I can sub. Well guess not because I have to pay 60 bucks for 30 days which haha NO.

I dont want to play that badly...

I mean I already have the freaking game on my computer. It wants me to pay? for something thats already there? what? Why cant I just subscribe and get that rolling?
Lt. Commander
# 1419
04-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .dlp.Mercenary
Welp I hit level cap for a a Mercenary Bounty Hunter. And I do want to play more. So I went to Swtor and looked to see if I can sub. Well guess not because I have to pay 60 bucks for 30 days which haha NO.

I dont want to play that badly...

I mean I already have the freaking game on my computer. It wants me to pay? for something thats already there? what? Why cant I just subscribe and get that rolling?
Are you for real?

I paid £50 for the game and are subbing,so why should you get it for free?

The point of the trial is to get people to "try" before buying. You obviously didn't enjoy it enough to pay for it, so it no biggie, you move on and play your F2P Sims/Barbie dress up Trek.

The game hasn't been out that long for it to be "free game" but sub. Unlike STO, people are staying and subbing and with 1.2 on the horizon, more will come back and play and new ones will try and buy.

They still have loads to do and I will concede that 1.2 is where TOR should have been at launch, but I have faith in Bioware (even after DAO2 and the Mass Effect 3 crappy ending), that they will do something STO hasn't and that is pour time and money into the game.

Doesn't mean that down the line it won't go F2P but guaranteed, it won't be this year.

Shesh, some people.
Lt. Commander
# 1420
04-07-2012, 10:36 PM
No need to be rude about it, Solomace. Personally I gotta agree with .dlp.mercenary. I mean no disrespect to SWTOR. I'm sure it's a great game. I just don't think any game is worth $180 a year.