Lt. Commander
Hi guys n gals been reading a lot and a lot of threads on these forums and can't find a definitive answer so I am hoping some of you experienced science jockeys would care to assist a returning player.

Just a note before I start. I do not want this thread to be hijacked by individuals whom think that science officers in science ships suck. I don't think I suck. I have returned to the game and require assistance as much has changed since my last build. This type of help I can't get from my current fleet as most or out of my timezone.

A little pre-history with my char.

ok I'll say that back in the day :-) my role on the ground and in space where very similiar - Heavy CC with some healing. I would very much like to keep that role but I will keep an open mind to your suggestions.

Race - Joined Trill
Level Vice Admiral 50
Current ship Intrepid Refit

Currently repected (mostly from guesswork) to reflect the abilities that I used. I am currently tweaking.

Im not ingmae (servers are down so I'll list what skills I have and weapons etc.

Weapons Front - Phasers 1 mk XI Borg
Phasers 1 mk X Borg
Rapid Reload Purpole Transphasic

Weapons Rear 2 x Phasers MK X Borg
1 x Transphasic cluster mine thingie :-) (can't remember proper name)

Consoles 1 armor mod for kinetic and energy
1 armor for tetryon/plasme/2 others
1 universal mod for deployable ablative armor
1 mod for increase in transfer rate
1 mod for biofunction monitor for crew
1 mod for phaser damage
1 mod for Transphasic damage
2 other science consoles and 1 borg universal console

How I usually open up a fight in pve

subtarget shield on the way in hit emergency power to aux hit gravity well use high yield 2 hit my transphasics then subtarget engines to keep target in grav well use tractor beam turn out and when can fire I finish them with transphasic cluster mine thingie. Usually I win. This is for normal pve fight I do also use sensor scan in there when I can remember it.

Now when running normal STF's My role is I feel is not pure dps but to provide for the most part CC I feel that I am doing ok providing CC and a spot of healing. using one of 2 tractors if needed (1 being part of the 4 set bonus) I feel that I could be doing more here. I always subtarget something.

Other abilities that I make availabe and use them when needed is tractor repulsers great for protecting kang or keeping the nanite probes away from repairing the gate.

Emergency power to shields
Hazard Emitters
Tact team
I have feedback pulse but Im considering changing that

Your replies wil be met with an open mind thanks for your time
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Wow, where to start.

Intrepid Refit is a T4 vessel and needs to be replaced. The Intrepid Retrofit is totally cr4p and you want to stay well away from it. Either use the DSSV or the Nebula.

While CC is good, unless you can also kill the targets in this CC, it is a pointless excesise as you will need another player with you to do the killing, unfortunatly this basically means you will fail the optionals as their will not be enough DPS to down the other targets before the 15minute mark is up.

With this in mind, the only science ship that can preform this role is the Nebula, I will for the remaining of this post assume that you are going to put your hand in your pocket and buy this ship.

Weapons:
Dual Beam Antiproton Bank MK XII [Acc] [CrtD] [Borg]
Quantum Torpedo Launcher MK XII [Acc] [CrtD] [Borg]

Antiproton Turret MK XII [Acc] [CrtD] [Borg]

Equipment:
Borg Deflectors Array or MACO Deflector Array
Omega Impulse Engines or Borg Inpulse Engines
Omega Shield Array or MACO Shield Array

Devices:
Subspace Field Modulator
Large Aux battery
Large Shield Battery

Consoles:
Neutronium Alloy MK XI (Rare)
EPS Flow REgulator MK XI (Rare)
Assimilated Module

Shield +18% Capacity (can't remember name)
Shield +13% Regen (can't remember name)
Graviton Particle Generator MK XI (Rare)

Antiproton Mag Regulator MK XI (Rare)

Bridge Officers:
Lt. Uni (Eng). - EPtS1 / RSP1
Lt. Cmd. Eng. - EPtS1 / ET2 / ES2 or A2SiF2 or EWP1
Lt. Tac. - TT1 / BFaW2
Ens. Sci. - TSS1
Cmd. Sci. - HE1 / ST2 / CPB2 / GW3

Dury Officers:
Gravametric Scientist Purple
Development Lab Scientist Purple
Development Lab Scientist Purple
Conn Officer - Evasive Maneuvers Purple
Conn Officer - Evasive Maneuvers Purple

Skill Build:
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...d=OldmanJohn_0
Ground points are what ever you want really, just make sure not to spend over 66K in ground.

You could if you wished, take EPtW1 and EPtS2, this would allow you to be very tanky and keep close to if not on 125 power to both weapons and shields (only Sci vessel in game that can do this).

Graviton Generators improve the Damage on EWP as well, even though the tooltip doesnt say it does
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks very much for your reply

Ok Im confused

Looking at the shipyard where you purchase ships I see 1 ship for Vice Admiral named Long ranged science vessel retrofit namely intrepid/cochrane/discovery - however your asking me to purchase (no problem with the cost) a ship whose min rank is Rear Admiral and severely lacks science power abilities. for example the number of skills required to use science skills.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldmanJohn
Thanks very much for your reply

Ok Im confused

Looking at the shipyard where you purchase ships I see 1 ship for Vice Admiral named Long ranged science vessel retrofit namely intrepid/cochrane/discovery - however your asking me to purchase (no problem with the cost) a ship whose min rank is Rear Admiral and severely lacks science power abilities. for example the number of skills required to use science skills.
The VA LH/UH and the RA ships are all the same level of ships,

It has 7 science abilities if you use the Uni Lt as a science officer. The Uni Lt. + Lt. Cmd Eng are what make the nebby the best of the sci vessels on the fed side.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-06-2012, 01:02 AM
ok thanks I can now see where your going with this. A lot more dps with the dual banks. Never used them before though. I take it no more sub targeting then. I'll give this a go and buy the Neb and see where it takes me.

btw you make a great salesman/woman. Ever consider selling starships for cryptic :-)
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Dual Beams can Sub target, they are after all still beams.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-06-2012, 01:53 AM
You said in the OP that you flew an Intrepid "refit." What you obviously meant to say is "retrofit." The refit version is a captain variant.

There is nothing wrong with the VA (Retrofit) Intrepid, but people obviously have their preferences. I like them all, but tend to either fly the D'Kyr, or Nebula.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpa
You said in the OP that you flew an Intrepid "refit." What you obviously meant to say is "retrofit." The refit version is a captain variant.

There is nothing wrong with the VA (Retrofit) Intrepid, but people obviously have their preferences. I like them all, but tend to either fly the D'Kyr, or Nebula.
I actually think he meant 'Refit', he is a returnning player afterall

D'Kyr or Nebby, eurgo the same ship if the Nebby uses the Uni Lt. as a Sci Officer
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygone View Post
, unfortunatly this basically means you will fail the optionals as their will not be enough DPS to down the other targets before the 15minute mark is up.

With this in mind, the only science ship that can preform this role is the Nebula, I will for the remaining of this post assume that you are going to put your hand in your pocket and buy this ship.

Weapons:
Quantum Torpedo Launcher MK XII [Acc] [CrtD] [Borg]

Consoles:
Neutronium Alloy MK XI (Rare)
EPS Flow REgulator MK XI (Rare)
Assimilated Module

Shield +18% Capacity (can't remember name)
Shield +13% Regen (can't remember name)

The Recon Science can have 3 tactical consoles, and for DPS purposes, swapping the +13% regen for the Assimilated makes more sense (that's that I do.) I personally do 1 Flow Cap and 1 Particle Emitter to take down shields faster and to more damage for STFs... the Grav generator doesn't help with that at all.

I also subscribe to 5 beam banks up close and personal as being able to do more damage and more consistantly than 2 dual-beams and turrets, but that's a preference thing I suppose. Higher speeds increase defense so the loss of the shield regen isn't a big deal.

I don't bother with flow regulators, as I took a few pts in skills to do "good enough" and a second neutronium is great for survivability.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenlik View Post
The Recon Science can have 3 tactical consoles, and for DPS purposes, swapping the +13% regen for the Assimilated makes more sense (that's that I do.) I personally do 1 Flow Cap and 1 Particle Emitter to take down shields faster and to more damage for STFs... the Grav generator doesn't help with that at all.

I also subscribe to 5 beam banks up close and personal as being able to do more damage and more consistantly than 2 dual-beams and turrets, but that's a preference thing I suppose. Higher speeds increase defense so the loss of the shield regen isn't a big deal.

I don't bother with flow regulators, as I took a few pts in skills to do "good enough" and a second neutronium is great for survivability.
A second Neutronium on my ship gives me 4.8%, not really that usefull if you ask me.

Yes 5 Beams will more than likely out DPS the DBB+Turrets, however; one of these has much more foward DPS when you are moving towards things to engage them, hence the DBB and not just loading up on arrays.

Yes the RSV with its 3 Tac Consoles will do more DPS than the Nebby, however a dead ship does exactly zero DPS, and that is what happens when a RSV gets targeted, its just dies.