Lt. Commander
# 11
04-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
And a purple explosives expert goes for 12 million ec or more, easily.
My Fault. But it is only fair that if you are going to call the OP out because they "just want these two so you don't have to pay market value on purple ones" it is fair to call you out too in that you don't want them just because you don't want anything to upset the market gouging going on with those Specializations.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar_99 View Post
My Fault. But it is only fair that if you are going to call the OP out because they "just want these two so you don't have to pay market value on purple ones" it is fair to call you out too in that you don't want them just because you don't want anything to upset the market gouging going on with those Specializations.
Gouging or fair market value?

I think it'd be fairer to say I don't want to see the market unduly disrupted. I'm not exactly foisting hordes of purple doffs onto the exchange and reaping huge profits (indeed, i have sold a grand total of 0 purple DOffs).

Borg have pretty great or at least neutral traits for virtually all jobs. You would totally destroy the value in any high-value DOff job by making such a high quality trait set available in such a predictable fashion.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Personally i think the current market for purples is a bit inflated.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Gouging or fair market value?

I think it'd be fairer to say I don't want to see the market unduly disrupted. I'm not exactly foisting hordes of purple doffs onto the exchange and reaping huge profits (indeed, i have sold a grand total of 0 purple DOffs).

Borg have pretty great or at least neutral traits for virtually all jobs. You would totally destroy the value in any high-value DOff job by making such a high quality trait set available in such a predictable fashion.
I'm not sure how much of that I buy. I do not buy fair market value, market value yes, but fair market value is distinctly different. Behavioral finance asserts that the market price often diverges from fair value because of various, cognitive biases which are common among buyers and/or sellers and that only in a well organized, reasonably transparent market (which I assert STO is not), will the market price be close to the fair value.

I also don't buy it because in comparing those Specializations with the same quality DOFFs from other specializations Purple Quality DOFFs are all over the board. Fabrication Engineers are currently starting out at just under 4 million but Projectile Weapons Officers (which you can get Borg of with EDC) are starting out just over 4 million EC and Security Officers (which you can get as Borg with EDC OR a fairly nice one through Support in T'Ong) are starting out at around 6 million EC. Technicians which you can get a Borg of in the B'Tran Support are starting at over 8 million. Explosive Experts are currently going for roughly 10 million where as Shield Distribution Officers (Which you can get through Rolor Support) are roughly double that.

The average starting price for a purple DOFF is somewhere between 2 and 5 million and the 2 you can get through EDCs from STFs are sitting at the high end of that range or above that range, so I'm not sure how much I buy
1) that the Explosives Experts aren't being "price gouged"
2) that you couldn't get a Fabrication Engineer from the Exchange before you could a DOFF with EDCs and
3) that being able to get them trough EDCs would drop their prices significantly

* Prices accurate at time of posting
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
Personally i think the current market for purples is a bit inflated.
Based on the prices for lower tier DOFFs and the existence of the 5:1 trade up, purples actually seem to be *undervalued* as a whole right now.

(A white price of 50k ec => a purple average low price of 6250k ec. Actual average low price for a purple is ~5000k ec. Average low green price is 300k ec. Average low blue price is 1300k ec.)

(By average low price i mean taking the lowest price for every job and averaging across jobs, the 'sell a DOff of a given job "now"' price, if you will, irrespective of traits).

Now, the purple market is *really volatile*. But so is the blue market. (On average, for a given job, prices go up really quickly as the cheap ones get bought up).
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Going back to suggestions... How about a photonic studies scientist? Closest thing to an AI engineer we've got.

Or... *chuckles* surely they've assimilated a chef or a bartender? What about a liberated borg quartermaster?
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-07-2012, 05:50 AM
honestly almost any specialties can work. here.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-07-2012, 06:09 AM
Agree, STF could use some new cool DOFF. That would motivate me to play more STFs now that I have the MK XII set.
I have near 200 EDC doing nothing in my bank.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar_99 View Post
I'm not sure how much of that I buy. I do not buy fair market value, market value yes, but fair market value is distinctly different. Behavioral finance asserts that the market price often diverges from fair value because of various, cognitive biases which are common among buyers and/or sellers and that only in a well organized, reasonably transparent market (which I assert STO is not), will the market price be close to the fair value.

I also don't buy it because in comparing those Specializations with the same quality DOFFs from other specializations Purple Quality DOFFs are all over the board. Fabrication Engineers are currently starting out at just under 4 million but Projectile Weapons Officers (which you can get Borg of with EDC) are starting out just over 4 million EC and Security Officers (which you can get as Borg with EDC OR a fairly nice one through Support in T'Ong) are starting out at around 6 million EC. Technicians which you can get a Borg of in the B'Tran Support are starting at over 8 million. Explosive Experts are currently going for roughly 10 million where as Shield Distribution Officers (Which you can get through Rolor Support) are roughly double that.

The average starting price for a purple DOFF is somewhere between 2 and 5 million and the 2 you can get through EDCs from STFs are sitting at the high end of that range or above that range, so I'm not sure how much I buy
1) that the Explosives Experts aren't being "price gouged"
2) that you couldn't get a Fabrication Engineer from the Exchange before you could a DOFF with EDCs and
3) that being able to get them trough EDCs would drop their prices significantly

* Prices accurate at time of posting
I'll confess I don't understand why Projectile Weapons Officers are worth so much, since you can get them from STFs *and* supports, and at least on the fed side they have virtually no value beyond slotting for space use.

Explosives Experts deserve their value. Not only are they a great ground slot (limited to 1 admittedly), they are also highly in demand for 3 of the 'new' Engineering assignments involved with dil mining and mine defusal. In short, demand is high.

Security Officers, despite being available via STF, are the kind of officer job you want like 15+ of, with a variety of traits for different assignment types. In short, the number of EDCs required to satisfy your security officer needs via STF is unreasonable. (They're also a decent ground slottable on top of that for Tactical players)

Technicians are similarly in high demand for assignments (accounting for potentially ~90%+ of valuable engineer requirements in assignments worth doing), and the time to acquire teh necessary cadre of support purples to fill your technician demands is large. (Max known critical chance is 34%, cooldown 24h after completion. To get 10 support technicians you'd expect to to spend minimally ~10x3x28 = 840h assuming you are always online when the support cd runs out and the assignment is always available, and after you've completed the chain). Because they're lower-value as a slottable, a player's need for technicians can be distributed down to blues and even potentially greens, which mitigates the pressure on purple price. Also, there are only 3 good traits for technicians (resolve, teamwork, and efficient), which means the substantial price pressure is going to fall on *some* rather than *all* technicians.

SDOs primary use is 3-slotting them, which means that their stats are irrelevant, and they *need* to be purple, which may account for the minimum price being above technicians. Although you never need more than 3... There's basically no value to SDOs for DOffing.

I suppose one could argue that proj weapons officers should cost like SDOs, even with Support Purples available (true for both), but the EDC projectile weapons officers substantially undercuts that market since they cost a factor of 5 less. (This is assuming demand for SDOs and Projectile Weapons Officers is similar, which is probably true since both get 3-slotted a lot)
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuneli
I love that you can get some great DOffs from doing STFs, but they are only useful on active duty for select characters.

The Security Officer is totally useless for Engineers and Science Officers.

The Projectile Officer is useless for anyone running a beam boat or any other full energy weapon set up.

Can we please get more variety in STF duty officers so that more players can actually use them on active duty?
One thing is for certain. Voyagers 7 of 9 was definately an Astrometrics Doff, so as far as cannon goes there should not be an issue with adding other professions.