Lt. Commander
# 1 NPC groups - just who is who?
04-07-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm interested in reskinning some NPC groups, but it's impossible for me to tell from the Foundry which units in the formation are which, let alone which ones show up at which rank and team amount, since I have no teams and my test character is forever an Ensign. So, my question is... does anyone know of a database of NPC formations?

I have some other questions as well, but this is my most immediate one.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-07-2012, 12:57 PM
The rank of the NPC always corresponds to its rank in the group. IIRC the order goes from strongest to weakest. So if you place a CPT, LCRD, LT, LT mob then Actor 1 will be the CPT, Actor 2 will be the LCDR... I'm yet to see a ground mob that scales in size.
In case of space mobs, Actor 1 shows up in solo, unless it is a weak group. In weak groups Actor 1 and 2 show up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostzephyr
I'm interested in reskinning some NPC groups, but it's impossible for me to tell from the Foundry which units in the formation are which, let alone which ones show up at which rank and team amount, since I have no teams and my test character is forever an Ensign. So, my question is... does anyone know of a database of NPC formations?

I have some other questions as well, but this is my most immediate one.
It's very difficult to know which ones will or will not spawn. From my experience, it's always very inconsistent. The play experience will be different every time, depending on the rank and number of players. So customizing the enemy npcs in ways that you're trying to do is really hard, if it's tied into a specific thing in the story.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Well, I'm not trying to name each one or anything, I only want to keep each base ship' class consistent with what I reskin them to. Don't want to accidentially skin a frigate as a dreadnaught, you know?

Maybe I should make and publish a test mission where every possible contact group is placed and specifically named, and gather some Fouders to help record the data. Someday. For now I'll take this advice and see how it goes, thanks all~
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Nothing changes with rank. The ships get leveled up but they stay the same type.

As far as number of players, no one has this information. It's not even clear if the class of the NPCs changes as more people are added (ie with one player the first enemy is a frigate, with 5 players it's a dreadnought).

The only one that it really matters for single player is with the Fighter/Frigate group, the one that spawns as a Frigate is about the 5th or 6th from the bottom of the list. This bizarre fact might imply that the type of vessel does not change (it's skipping a lot of fighters in the list to include the one frigate that spawns with a single player).

Since this seems to keep coming up and I agree it's important information, I'll see if I can test it. But I can only do up to 3 players (my account, plus friends I know) easily. If one or two other people want to volunteer to help, then we can arrange a time to do 4 and 5 players (either post here or send me an in-game mail).

It would be nice if a dev would give us this info, but reality is we're pretty much left to our own devices with the Foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Nothing changes with rank. The ships get leveled up but they stay the same type.

Really? I thought that weak mobs resulted in more ships with higher ranks. It's something that I observed while testing a mission, when using the weak groups.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Really? I thought that weak mobs resulted in more ships with higher ranks. It's something that I observed while testing a mission, when using the weak groups.
I've never noticed that behavior myself. Weak group gives me two frigates either on an Ensign Foundry character or my VA characters. I can recheck it, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I've never noticed that behavior myself. Weak group gives me two frigates either on an Ensign Foundry character or my VA characters. I can recheck it, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Interesting. So then the only thing that changes which npcs you see and fight with is team numbers?

Does it matter if a group of npcs is fighting another group of npcs? It seemed more consistent for me then, that 5 ships would appear on each side, but maybe that was a fluke.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Interesting. So then the only thing that changes which npcs you see and fight with is team numbers?

Does it matter if a group of npcs is fighting another group of npcs? It seemed more consistent for me then, that 5 ships would appear on each side, but maybe that was a fluke.
I don't know. It could just be a bug.

Were you in a group by chance, even if they weren't with you in the mission? It's fairly easy to check this in any case with a test mission.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Sigh, this is so confusing. I'm trying to make a fighter group, and a completely random amount of fighters shows up... sometimes two, sometimes five, it changes when I reset the map. Sometimes, I reach the fighters and some disappear. And, apparently these scale to battleships? How is that supposed to be believable as a carrier squadron...

Sigh. Dev input would help immensely at this point. I'll just put my mission on hold for now, any word on a test mission that I can join in on to help sort this silly problem out?