Lt. Commander
# 1 STO Ranking
04-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Okay, so I was reading the STO Wiki earlier, specifically the undetermined releases. Something there that caught my eye was this:
  • Level and rank increase to Fleet Admiral / Dahar Master, with special type of gameplay where you can begin to build away teams in space (other ships that you command)
    • This would include the ranks of Admiral / General
Now, whilst this is still an undetermined releases it is something the developers have obviously looked at; and it's something that I'm somewhat concerned about.

Typically, Fleet Admirals (and I'd imagine Dahar Masters) are more likely to be stationed on a station, that to be in command of a ship. Most Admirals are. Sure, they can take command of a ship should they choose to do so, but they aren't commissioned with a ship.

Taking that into consideration, I'm thinking the developers could do with changing the ranking system. To start with, they'd need to move all the current ranks up one. Once you've created your character, you're a Cadet. The first rank you achieve should be an Ensign ~ and that's where you get your starter ship. With all the current ranks moved up one, your Captain would now be at rank #50 where he should be. There would be no need for a rank 45 either.

Should the developers then desire to go onward and upward, you can then go up to 60 on Commodore and then Admiral (be that vice/fleet ect) once you hit 70. Something else that I think should be implemented into the ranking system is the commendations. At the moment, you can be a Vice Admiral, but not have permission to go to certain sectors. You're top of the Starfleet Chart Rank and you need permission to fly somewhere? No!

Up the commendations so you've got a level per rank; with your needing to achieve a level one in each per rank before you get your promotion. I can't remember what level it is that you gain access to duty officers, but that could easily be changed, I'm sure.

Just a potential idea here... least you'd be able to fly wherever you wanted if you were an Admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Commodore is no longer used by Starfleet and really how many of thes are they going to be??? Dev is not changing the ranks they are not going back and changing them why?? Dev said so you mite get a title of Commodore but that is the best you will get sorry but true

The rank of commodore was used by Starfleet until at least the 2270s. In 2366, Geordi La Forge insulted Centurion Bochra by calling him commodore, to which Bochra promptly corrected La Forge as to his proper title. (TNG: "The Enemy")

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Commodore
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Please ignore the "upcoming" pages from STOWiki dating back more than 4 months... They are no longer valid.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Not a big fan of Flag ranks for characters in STO.

The iconic heroes in Star Trek were all Captains. (Even Kirk took a demotion back to that sacred rank).

The problem with making everyone Fleet Admirals is the old, "If everyone's a chief, who are the indians?" statement. Besides when Cryptic decides they want to raise the skill cap again, what are we going to be? Presidents of the Federation?

Let's get back to the focus of Star Trek hero-dom - - Captains. Then we could easily have ongoing levels in Captain (like Captain 5 or 100 or 9000) and NEVER have to worry about a skill cap because of a top-heavy rank structure.

(Admiral rank would still be available for Fleet (guild) leaders under this system for those who wanted it -but would still have the same skills as whatever level they have achieved)
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
Commodore is no longer used by Starfleet and really how many of thes are they going to be??? Dev is not changing the ranks they are not going back and changing them why?? Dev said so you mite get a title of Commodore but that is the best you will get sorry but true]
If not Commodore, then something else. There are at least four or five levels of Admiral they could use for ranks 60 & 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Please ignore the "upcoming" pages from STOWiki dating back more than 4 months... They are no longer valid.
I can ignore them for sure, but some details that they've had there we've now got in the game, so it would be unwise to ignore it altogether.

Besides, it doesn't hurt to talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Hunter View Post

The iconic heroes in Star Trek were all Captains. (Even Kirk took a demotion back to that sacred rank).

Let's get back to the focus of Star Trek hero-dom - - Captains. Then we could easily have ongoing levels in Captain (like Captain 5 or 100 or 9000) and NEVER have to worry about a skill cap because of a top-heavy rank structure.
For what it's worth, I'm all for doing this. The command of a Starship is that of a Captain. I'd much rather be a Captain than I would a Rear Admiral, Upper Half. The title sounds silly enough as it is.

But still, if they ever were going to put Captain at Rank #50, they'd have to change Rank #1 - 9, and the only way to do that is to move all the others up, thus slotting in Cadet.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by officer525
But still, if they ever were going to put Captain at Rank #50, they'd have to change Rank #1 - 9, and the only way to do that is to move all the others up, thus slotting in Cadet.
or add in the Lt JG rank.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Hunter View Post

The problem with making everyone Fleet Admirals is the old, "If everyone's a chief, who are the indians?" statement. Besides when Cryptic decides they want to raise the skill cap again, what are we going to be? Presidents of the Federation?

(Admirals would still be available as Fleet (guild) leaders under this system for those who wanted it)
you are talking of a Fed made up of over a 150 worlds yes the game dose not make space look big but in all we don't know what every fleet admiral or admirals or admirals in general where doing thinking they where all behind a desk is ToS thinking I don't think Capts. should be on away missions yes that is a Starfleet regulations I do remind you also admiral did have ships TNG last EP and Admiral Riker says best thing about being a Admiral you get to pick your OWN ship