Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-07-2012, 01:18 PM
I've been boycotting EA for years. It got hard for a while. I'm a huge Bioware fanboy so I wavered for a while, but when I played DA2 and realized how craptastic it was I came to terms with the horrible truth and climbed back on the wagon. Bioware is dead. :'-(
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
I've been boycotting EA for years. It got hard for a while. I'm a huge Bioware fanboy so I wavered for a while, but when I played DA2 and realized how craptastic it was I came to terms with the horrible truth and climbed back on the wagon. Bioware is dead. :'-(
I actually preferred the gameplay of DA2 over DA1. I paid $5 during a sale. I enjoyed playing it through. Then after that, I looked up the DLC for it.

Getting all the DLC would cost $65.

That should be illegal.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-07-2012, 01:53 PM
i love EA.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by altrocks
I say it's time we show the MMO devs we won't take it anymore. Everyone, get out your old copies of Quake and Team Fortress (Classic) and hop on Gamespy for some MegaTF and CustomTF maps!

We did that stuff for over a decade, for free, able to modify it any way we wanted, with actual effective anti-cheating technology, and it was a multi-player game where skill was the ONLY thing that mattered because everyone had the same equipment (which they didn't have to pay extra for, or grind a special currency to get). Doesn't anyone else remember those days? How games were actually fun! Sure, there was some work involved, and you had to practice, but it was FUN to do that work and FUN to practice.

Game companies need to capture that essence again. Minecraft, made by one of the smallest gaming companies possible, is probably the biggest game hit of the last year. The next game from them looks to be huge.

Meanwhile... we have the glut of F2P MMO's that are really just failed P2P MMO's that have turned into a Pay2Win game. We have GW2, TSW, MechWarrior, etc... and while the fan boys will be allll over them and hype them up, the rest of us will realistically see them for what they are: Just another way to part people from their money with minimal investment and maximum margins.

There's very little fun to be had in today's games, especially in the MMO markets. You'll survive off the people who simply can't get validation any way other than PvP and paying for advantages... but it won't last forever.

Fun... remember that... fun.
I have not been buying games for more than a decade now and still see no reason to.

There are a bunch of games out there who are popular and massively hyped. They give about 8 hours of gameplay and they cost (in local currency) $70.

By comparison STO is a 'free' game that has given me about 700 hours of fun since F2P launch. And erm, since I don't bother to PvP I don't need the P2W consoles so I don't spend anything :3
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
http://consumerist.com/2012/04/congr...-for-2012.html

EA managed to beat Bank of America in a consumer poll of unpopular companies.
WOW! That is seriously disappointing as I remember when EA was THE game maker, deluxe! An EA game was a surefire guarantee you were going to enjoy yourself. Too bad. Maybe this is what happens when you rest on your... laurels :p