Lt. Commander
# 1431
04-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuber
Just to throw in my two cents...

I'd probably pay $20/mo for SWTOR if necessary. Love the game. And when I started out as a lifer in STO, I never thought I'd say that...
swtor only 14.99$ a month same as wow eveonline even sto was that same when it was p2p
Lt. Commander
# 1432
04-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .dlp.Mercenary View Post
Welp I hit level cap for a a Mercenary Bounty Hunter.
You hit Lv50 in a week? I guess you have loads of expendable time and an ouchie spacebar-finger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .dlp.Mercenary View Post
And I do want to play more. So I went to Swtor and looked to see if I can sub. Well guess not because I have to pay 60 bucks for 30 days which haha NO.

I dont want to play that badly...

I mean I already have the freaking game on my computer. It wants me to pay? for something thats already there? what? Why cant I just subscribe and get that rolling?
Oh, so you're telling me if you had a business that made a product and you'd run a promotion for said product by letting people try it, you'd let everyone who tried it simply shrug off the price of admission (buying the box) and just pay for the service? What kind of message do you think that'd send your customers who did buy the box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey View Post
Personally I gotta agree with .dlp.mercenary. I mean no disrespect to SWTOR. I'm sure it's a great game. I just don't think any game is worth $180 a year.
dlp. isn't complaining about the subscription fee ($15 per month), he's complaining that now that he's tried SWTOR he can't simply subscribe to it without buying the BOX itself or buying to digital edition download of it.

To be honest, in my opinion, companies who actually would agree to sell their product like that, (i.e. invite you for a week-trial and then allow you to simply subscribe while other customers were required to buy the game first) probably have a low opinion of their product, not to mention their clients.
Lt. Commander
# 1433
04-09-2012, 01:43 PM
*raises hand in guilt*

Strike me up as another who has to confess to being led away from STO.

I admit, way back, when it had been out for about twelve months and it was "the" thing to be playing, I didn't understand World of ********. I let curiosity get the better of me and played WoW for about two weeks. Sufficed to say I played it through gritted teeth, and gave up before my month had even lapsed. The pace was agonizingly slow.

I've now done the same thing with the Old Republic, with the difference being... So help me, I'm enjoying it. I was a huge fan of KOTOR, and if nothing else, I want to see how it ends.

I'll be interested to see how my time is divided. I spent most of my game time yesterday in Star Trek, and I suspect a lot of that was out of guilt from the rest of the fleet. We lost two central officers over the weekend, which has left the rest of us in a bit of a worried place as suddenly the 'veterans' of the fleet can be counted on the fingers of one hand, and its up to those few (myself included) to do something about the attrition and stem the flow.

I'll give you just one guess where the other officers have been steadily disappearing to...

I love STO. I really do, but Cryptic need to start delivering content and systems to help keep fleets (and the community in general) healthy. Even if it were a mission a month, I don't think that comes close to the influx of content the game needs to retain people when the competition looks so good. We're dying, here.
Lt. Commander
# 1434
04-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak

Strike me up as another who has to confess to being led away from STO.

I love STO. I really do, but Cryptic need to start delivering content and systems to help keep fleets (and the community in general) healthy. Even if it were a mission a month, I don't think that comes close to the influx of content the game needs to retain people when the competition looks so good. We're dying, here.
For me, i wasn't lead away, I left. Simply because I can do more in TOR than I can in STO, and I don't need a foundry to do it.

As far as Cryptic goes, I have come to realize they are to be regarded with much skepticism and for lack of a better word distrust. The Recent revelation from them about the "intents" has seriously soured me on them, They can't be trusted anymore, which is tragic. I wouldn't say Cryptic is dying per se, but they definitely are NOT doing things to help themselves now.
Lt. Commander
# 1435
04-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriel_Shadowblood View Post
Hey all,

Let me preface this by saying I am a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars.
This weekend, I had the oppurtunity to play SW:TOR for the free weekend.
I went in a complete NOOB, with a systemm under the minimum specs (and really worked my graphics card).

That will really mess with the game for you

For all the hype that SW:TOR was to be the next big blockbuster, comparing it to STO, I applaud Cryptic and enjoy STO more than I did SW:TOR. 25 gigs for SW:TOR and 11 gigs for ST:O.
TOR has a crapload of more development, that's why

Character Creation in SW:TOR was lacking. There is more customizaion options available in ST:O for avatars than in SW:TOR. I created a Jedi Knight.
The appearance tab is coming soon for TOR

The Prologe (SW:TOR to Tutoiral (STO).
Entry into the games jumps you right into the storyline, with only instructions to move using WASD. No intial quest to get started and explain what to do. STO engages you right from the start, explaining what to do and how to do it.
Called EXPLORING. TOR makes you want to search for hidden datacrons and discovering all parts of the map rewards you....STO feeds you in a baby chair

Leveling.
Leveling in SW:TOR was just a grind fest. I became bored soo many times, by getting quest from point A, running to point C, kill mobs. Return to Point A, to be redirected to Point B. STO engaged me with different aspects of the game right from the start. Each mission / quest in ST:O engages right from the start and can finish in an hour. In SW: TOR it took me an hour just to run across the lands to start the mission location, than kill 40 mobs, complete the quest and run back to turn it in.
So you're just lazy...? And ...you know.....quests are faster after you finish the starter worlds....

Quest Givers / Missions:
Ok, I know my system could not run this. So part of the issues is on myside, I understand this. With this said, I hated the cutscenes to get to the quest dialog. It would take almost 5 minutes for the mission giver to load the movie so I could get the quest. Repeat this 40 times, and I wasted hours just to get the quests.
God forbid some story with your MMO. You can skip over the cutscenes too so....yeah have fun not doing the entire point of TOR - STORY

Companions:
I have to give a win to ST:O for giving us a companion right at the start and explaing how to work with Bridge Officers. When I got my droid (and later on for training) I was at a loss. How can I upgrade his gear, where can I get gear, how do I train skills. I learned the answer to this later (which was even more confusing with the crafting skill system).
Yeah like the amazing story with my bridge officers that are tied into mine...hey wait a minute...that's not STO...oh that's right it's TOR

Visuals:
SW:TOR is a really GREAT Looking game. Everything is stunning, in the details when exploring the worlds and shuttle transfer stations. My system strained. So... I think they spent more time making the game look good, instead of content. You even said you were under the minimal...and congrats...you didn't bother noticed that TOR, unlike STO has a ton of teams working on different aspects of the game....

Content:
To make up for the content they make you run far far away, and have mobs spawn and respawn. I see this as a problem if I was to get to higher levels as you are fighting others for the same mobs. ST:O gives us many private instances and replays. Then we have the foundry, so... I have to say, ST:O has so much more content.TOR so far has more story and content in a couple months than STO has ever had in over 2 years.....so yeah TOR contect sux yup

Crafting:
I admit, I like crafting. I also like the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule. When I could finally get to crafting in SW:TOR I looked at it as another grind fest. You can just do easy as hell companion missons that reuire no effort....and you must be lucky to not have played SWG, you would have no chance in crafting ot save your life.

My thoughts are ST:O is the more interesting and engaging game.
I have 4 toons now maxxed as a casual gamer after 2 years.
I only got as far as level 12 (Jedi Sentinel) after 2 days in SW:TOR.
Boring.

2 days in TOR...you really gave it a chance and spent the time to learn more about it I can soooo tell. Yup..

STO in 2 years = most boring thing I've ever experienced
Few months on TOR = best thing to hit the MMO world in a loooooong time.

Miri
Just some thoughts.
Lt. Commander
# 1436
04-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
For me, i wasn't lead away, I left. Simply because I can do more in TOR than I can in STO, and I don't need a foundry to do it.

As far as Cryptic goes, I have come to realize they are to be regarded with much skepticism and for lack of a better word distrust. The Recent revelation from them about the "intents" has seriously soured me on them, They can't be trusted anymore, which is tragic. I wouldn't say Cryptic is dying per se, but they definitely are NOT doing things to help themselves now.
To clarify my statement... By "We", I mean my fleet. The attrition lately has been utterly apalling, and Cryptic is doing nothing to help us.
Lt. Commander
# 1437
04-09-2012, 02:31 PM
dont worry he is a fanboy and you cant when against people like that
Lt. Commander
# 1438
04-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
all F2P mmos are F2P for a reason just like this one
your point? or more accurately why are you telling me that?

I merely pointed out a supposed numerical inaccuracy. I did not join any side as to whE?ether it was **** or not.

also slight correction gw2 is b2p not f2p.

Buut since It seems like I was dragged into this I shall say.

Tor= meh. Im not much of a story person. I also dont particularly like static combat.

I also dont really like watching the ui more than the game. and as much as people tell me different, when I watch a video of wow gameplay and a video of tor gameplay.... very very similar more skills than digits on your hands and feet.

in the end just not a game for me. perhaps its the best thing for sliced bread for others, cool. Just not for me.
Lt. Commander
# 1439
04-09-2012, 05:10 PM
It must be nice to some people that a game over 2 years old only has 1 1/2 factions like STO. But to each their own.
Lt. Commander
# 1440
04-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduckie
your point? or more accurately why are you telling me that?
I believe his point is that STO is something of a failure. Maybe the transition to F2P isn't proof, but it's an indicator that the previous model didn't work that well.

BUT ... I believe the fact that the company's been sold during that time is also another big indicator. Two companies now mismanaging Cryptic Studios and their games (NCSoft and Atari) since the company began with a third now taking its chance to roll the dice.

The company has been able to churn out three MMORPGs at varying level of success, and are working on a fourth, but the company doesn't seem to have been able to get a hit to stick before losing money to the point that they get sold off to someone else.