Lt. Commander

- Explained, so nothing strange is afoot! -

I noticed that our forum has a tendency to add on a few pages to particular threads (in appearance at least) for people who are not logged in versus people who are logged in.

Has anyone else noticed this odd behaviour?
This image shows how the forum looks logged in.
http://i.imgur.com/Si2TI.png

This image shows the same forum, logged out.
http://i.imgur.com/ynFEf.png
Notice the addition of extra pages to certain threads. (I've enclosed them in red rectangles, with green/yellow showing no change).

Very odd behaviour, unless the intent is to have the forums mislead to logged out viewer. In which case, I wonder why it is picking some threads and not others to add a few extra pages too...

^^
p.s. Despite the change in thread times, the images were taken within a few seconds of each other. The change is due to the forum not applying my local time when logged out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-10-2012, 03:41 AM
This is normal.

When you are logged out, the forum uses "default" settings, which is set to a specific amount of posts to be displayed each page of a thread, in what type of order, etc

When you are logged in, you can either continue using default settings or alter them. You are seeing a difference because you most likely have your custom settings when logged in set to something other than default.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-10-2012, 03:43 AM
Eh... When logged in you can change the amount of posts displayed.
I got mine set to 20 on each page, think default is 10.

And that lil arrow in front of everything takes you to the first new post.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-10-2012, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavgeek View Post
This is normal.

When you are logged out, the forum uses "default" settings, which is set to a specific amount of posts to be displayed each page of a thread, in what type of order, etc

When you are logged in, you can either continue using default settings or alter them. You are seeing a difference because you most likely have your custom settings when logged in set to something other than default.
This is correct. I like to have like, at least 50 posts on screen so I can read everything at once.

However most forum defaults are much lower, perhaps 10? 20?.

So less posts in a page = more pages to a thread automatically.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-10-2012, 03:48 AM
Yep. 10 is the default, if you look at the Steamrunner and Galor threads they got an additional page.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-10-2012, 03:52 AM
Well that it explains it nicely, without reference to area 51 or grassy knoll conspiracy theories. Thanks guys.