Lt. Commander
Ive unlocked a few ships now (both Fed and Klingon), and picked up a few of these. With more and more ships coming out with universal consoles fitted, its getting tougher and tougher to 'find room' for them in between standard consoles which I feel some ships cant do without. Also, it makes me much less inclined to buy any more ships from the C-Store if I have to swap out one for another.

How about this - introduce a 4th console slot type other than Eng, Sci or Tac: Universal. These slots can only fit universal consoles, and will be on a sliding scale depending on ship tier. 1 for Lt Cdr, 2 for Cdr, 3 for Cpt, and 4 for the Admiral/General levels.

If people have loads of consoles they will still have to pick which 4 (or whatever) they want at endgame, thus preserving some thought in making a new build, but they dont have to sacrifice standard console slots to do it...?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-10-2012, 02:31 AM
No. If you want extra special abilities, you have to sacrifice core ship stats to get them. That's the trade-off.

This sounds very much like a request to have one's cake and eat it as well.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-10-2012, 02:36 AM
... you're missing the whole point to universal consoles, that is to decide to use a standard, or give up something to use the universal . And btw they added slots back to the ships that had abilities moved to consoles already just for that reason. Choose the console ability, or a standard. So no, you don't get to use 4 just because you bought them AND get to use all the regular ones as well, that would unbalance things. You can use 4 now if you want, but you trade off armor, power, and so on.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-10-2012, 06:49 AM
i agree witht he peeps who responded to this thread, you have to figure out if the juice is worth the squeeze.

however, i was thinking that a ship like the nebula should not only have a universal boff slot, but say the loadout was changed to
3 eng. console slots,
3science console slots,
2 tactical console slots
and 1 universal console slot...

this only sacrafices 1 sci slot to make a universal slot, which could be a 4th slot for a sci anyways...

but i love this ship, and i run it on my eng. character, and i would kill for less sci slots and 1 more tac, or 1 more eng...

and since this ship is supposed to be a universal ship canon wise, it would make sense to make it a little bit more universal to the three different professions.

not to say it has to happen to the nebula (as i know they already made the ship, and probably will not revisit it for a while).

however, it is an idea for future ships...