Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
As soon as I completed the time traveling episode, I was thinking about how funny/ cool it would be if there were one that took us back to the Roaring 20s or WW2!

I can just see it now, my science officer befuddled by "primitive" 20th century vehicles and weaponry ("Sir, I searched through the database and it appears to be this weapon called a machine gun!") 20th century NPC chatter in the background! ("Those people sure look funny!") OMG, if you guys could pull this off somehow, I would be forever in your debt!

What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-10-2012, 09:23 AM
As cool as it would be, it would take a lot of art assets. Drozan Station at least had the benefit of being self-contained, but now you'd be talking about creating a whole outdoor environment without any art assets borrowed from existing assets to help you out. Besides the fact there there aren't any mechanics currently in-game for using vehicles with a player character.

There again, they might be able to borrow some art assets from Champions Online, which could help creating such a mission a LOT easier...
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
As cool as it would be, it would take a lot of art assets. Drozan Station at least had the benefit of being self-contained, but now you'd be talking about creating a whole outdoor environment without any art assets borrowed from existing assets to help you out. Besides the fact there there aren't any mechanics currently in-game for using vehicles with a player character.

There again, they might be able to borrow some art assets from Champions Online, which could help creating such a mission a LOT easier...
Oh, sure-- I completely understand that it would require new artwork, assets, etc.. Just throwing that out there in case one day there's the budget, time, and resources.

BTW, I don't think it would be necessary to do this huge, expansive, overly detailed outdoor environment that painstakingly recreates the 20s, 30s, etc. I'm not talking Death to Spies or anything. The mission could just be carried out no differently than it is done in some of the others we've seen-- starts out in a limited outdoor environment (plaza surrounded by a few buildings with a few NPCs walking around?), with the users having to teleport to limited interior spaces. I could even see some of the pre-existing tunnels/ halls/ labyrinths from various other missions being re-used, except instead of "space ship interiors" they're re-skinned to look like a speakeasy or German bunker or something.

The only real obstacle I see is in terms of clothing.

Again, this is something that I thought would be fun for both developers and players alike, especially to alleviate burnout. Besides, the whole time travel "fish out of water" thing is a time-honored ST tradition.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Not a bad idea but the pre-WWI/WWII and during WWI/WWII was already done before throughout several Star Trek entities.

Instead of going back and doing an era that has already been done why not branch the general concept out and do it in the WW3 era which has never been seen before (at least not that I can remember). The mercenary costume pack along with some of the other non-canon uniforms that already exist could be easily modified with small variances cutting down on several new assets having to be created, giving more time for the rest of the assets to be created. Also placing it in a more modern but still distant past would allow more in-game assets to be simply re-purposed/re-skinned and still fit in better than trying to do that in the 20's-30's era.

Also because WW3 wasn't really even put into any great details it would allow the devs a huge amount of creative freedom allowing for a much more unique storyline.

Possible story arc:

The timeline has been severely corrupted by some unknown forces (Perfect chance for Iconians using modified gateway technology) causing the war to become much more violent and longer lasting then orignially preventing the Phoenix project and first contact. Mission start could be going to the Gamma Quadrant and upon successful mission completion there you are ordered back to ESD (or even better UPS for retrofit/refitt) and upon arriving finding everything is off, only to continue to Earth to find out while you were in the wormhole everything changed. DS9 would still be on the map but disabled as a location so no noticeable change there, forced transwarp to UPS then warp straight from UPS TO ESD so again no chance of seeing the other ships in sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
Not a bad idea but the pre-WWI/WWII and during WWI/WWII was already done before throughout several Star Trek entities.
That's precisely why I suggested those eras. As an homage to the shows that have already done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
Instead of going back and doing an era that has already been done why not branch the general concept out and do it in the WW3 era which has never been seen before (at least not that I can remember)
The reason why past ST shows rarely time traveled to our near future is that it's more fun to have the characters travel to our distant past with German guards or '20s flappers than it is to a future that more or less resembles our own.

I'm not arguing against your idea necessarily-- in fact, you probably have a better shot at getting your scenario made than I. But if it were up to me, I would find a mission that time traveled to the distant past a lot more enjoyable than one that took place in, say, 2045 or something.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minababe
As soon as I completed the time traveling episode, I was thinking about how funny/ cool it would be if there were one that took us back to the Roaring 20s or WW2!
I'm sorry dude but I am beyond sick of WW2 stories. Star Trek has enough of them (and the stupid Space Nazi's to go with them), gaming in general has MORE than enough of them. NO MORE WW2 STORIES!!!

If you want to do a time travel story, explore World War III or the Eugenics Wars. They're important to the Star Trek universe and they haven't been explored in real detail.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-12-2012, 11:28 AM
I love time travel in Star Trek, but WW2 was already overused in the shows. I would rather travel to the early XXI century.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Morgan0210 View Post
I'm sorry dude but I am beyond sick of WW2 stories. Star Trek has enough of them (and the stupid Space Nazi's to go with them), gaming in general has MORE than enough of them. NO MORE WW2 STORIES!!!
First of all, calm down. I'm not a "dude."

Secondly, I wasn't talking specifically about WW2 or anything, just pre-21st century, so the '50s, the '60s, the American West, French Revolution, etc., etc. Before our own time, like in the shows.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Any one remember Assignment Earth, the canceled spinoff?
We can have the characters from that episode for a time traveling mission.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-19-2012, 08:33 PM
I agree, their should be another time travelling mission. The one time travel mission that is in the game was pretty cool, I liked how we all saw what the station looked like during Kirk's time. I think that it would be a cool idea if we can visit Archer's timeline next so that we can see more of the Earth-Romulan war or expand on the other story arcs from that series.

In short, we need more time travel